SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-21, 01:04 PM   #3826
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucadataranto View Post
As title, i had no diesel consumption in FOTRS ULTIMATE.
I installed it on a clean version of Sh4 1.5. I had limited value of battery,C02, compressed air but not for diesel, it is unlimited Forever.
It is a bug?How can i fix it?
Thanks
check your gameplay options. there is one set of options on the Main Menu. it controls the options for War Patrols and Single missions. the other is in the Career mode, when you are in port between missions. click on the old radio set on the left side of the screen.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 02:42 PM   #3827
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesjr View Post
So, in the Known Issues PDF for installing this mod, they have this text:

Time-of-day was an issue that has been known for a while, and some folks even knew of its roots and cause, but most folks do not want to pay attention to it. Ignore it at your own “peril”. But the game was written in the DirectX v9.0c days, to run on Windows XP, and as such is basically a 30fps game. Most computers back in March of 2005 when Silent Hunter III was released (older brother of the SH4 game), were hard-pressed to attain that threshold, unless the latest / greatest hardware was used. As more ‘modern’ equipment, OSes and games have come out, the “holy grail” of gaming has been “the more fps, the better”, so that gameplay is “smoother”. Silent Hunter 4 however, is written to run at 30fps. If you exceed that, or (heaven forbid) cannot reach that, the game’s clocks will not “sync” properly, and will drift apart from each other. If you have a 60Hz display, and an nVidia graphics card (except maybe the newest series), you can use the nVidia Inspector to set your card to “Half frame rate”. In other words, 60Hz divided by two equals 30fps. Otherwise, the use of “antilag” can help – after some trial-and-error – get you close enough to 30fps.

I did not have vsync set, so my FPS was considerably higher than even 60 Hz, and I did get day/night desyncing. So I did want to point out, this is a thing for sure. I think using very fast Time Compression while traveling causes this to get worse.

I play on a 4K monitor .. but the UIs are too small in 4K, so I have my resolution set to 2560x1440 (1440p) and not 4K (3840x2060). My video card / drivers and monitor have a 30Hz setting as well as a 60Hz setting that are available in the game's graphics settings. Setting the selection to 30Hz and turning on vsync did prevent this issue in a new playthrough.

I also want to point out that this is different than Base Time vs. Local Time .. It seems the game does not have a local time setting, so your clocks are always set to base time. If your base is in California and you are as far west as you can go, then you need to note the shown times at dawn and dusk, but red lights and dark conditions do match up (just at a wierd time compared to local). The actual day/night desync issue shows day lights in the sub, but outside it is really dark (and the reverse). This means if you are in the map .. you think it is dark, but the game AI can see you as if it is light. That does not usually end well
There is local time and base time. As you understand, base time is what your home port runs on. Local time is the time zone conversion of your current location. Since the game apparently does not have a "math" function for that, it is not displayed anywhere. However, if you do a Single Mission, you will then run on "Local Time" from where the scenario starts... Maybe someday we'll try to get a 2nd or 3rd clock on the sub and attempt to "offset" the hands, but we wouldn't be able to label them, since it is unknown which "base" your base time would be running from. It would be nice if the game had "Pearl Time", "Tokyo Time", etc., that we could reach out and touch...

Now, be aware that v-sync can mess with some video cards, which is why we now have that setting un-ticked by default. It is up to the player to decide whether to use it or not. Some nVidia cards, especially the older ones can be set to 1/2 frame if running at 60Hz, which then will make the card run at 30Hz, which is very close to the US video rate. The newer cards will end up with a multiple of their "clock". btw, I am absolutely awful with terminology. We really should have Front Runner pop in and post something on "refresh rate versus sync and / or frame rate etc"... hint-hint if you're watching!!! lol

(man, that's a puke-ugly green!)

Quote:
As title, i had no diesel consumption in FOTRS ULTIMATE.
I installed it on a clean version of Sh4 1.5. I had limited value of battery,C02, compressed air but not for diesel, it is unlimited Forever.
It is a bug?How can i fix it?
Thanks
Like KaleunMarco says above, check your settings in both places. Do remember though, that your boat still will not use much fuel. Trying to balance the handling (including dive & surface times), fuel, battery use, charge time, etc., is a royal pain. We might get back to that aspect some day, but not for a while.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 02:50 PM   #3828
lucadataranto
Nub

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
check your gameplay options. there is one set of options on the Main Menu. it controls the options for War Patrols and Single missions. the other is in the Career mode, when you are in port between missions. click on the old radio set on the left side of the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There is local time and base time. As you understand, base time is what your home port runs on. Local time is the time zone conversion of your current location. Since the game apparently does not have a "math" function for that, it is not displayed anywhere. However, if you do a Single Mission, you will then run on "Local Time" from where the scenario starts... Maybe someday we'll try to get a 2nd or 3rd clock on the sub and attempt to "offset" the hands, but we wouldn't be able to label them, since it is unknown which "base" your base time would be running from. It would be nice if the game had "Pearl Time", "Tokyo Time", etc., that we could reach out and touch...

Now, be aware that v-sync can mess with some video cards, which is why we now have that setting un-ticked by default. It is up to the player to decide whether to use it or not. Some nVidia cards, especially the older ones can be set to 1/2 frame if running at 60Hz, which then will make the card run at 30Hz, which is very close to the US video rate. The newer cards will end up with a multiple of their "clock". btw, I am absolutely awful with terminology. We really should have Front Runner pop in and post something on "refresh rate versus sync and / or frame rate etc"... hint-hint if you're watching!!! lol

(man, that's a puke-ugly green!)

Like KaleunMarco says above, check your settings in both places. Do remember though, that your boat still will not use much fuel. Trying to balance the handling (including dive & surface times), fuel, battery use, charge time, etc., is a royal pain. We might get back to that aspect some day, but not for a while.
I already did it, but nothing, the diesel remain unlimited
lucadataranto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 05:22 PM   #3829
propbeanie

Did you empty the Save folder after activating the FotRSU mod? If you didn't, that will leave old data in the game and cause issues. Also, what folder do you have the game installed in? Are you getting a "splash" screen as the game loads, that has a background like the left image in my "signature" below?

Old 09-08-21, 03:32 AM   #3830
lucadataranto
Nub

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Did you empty the Save folder after activating the FotRSU mod? If you didn't, that will leave old data in the game and cause issues. Also, what folder do you have the game installed in? Are you getting a "splash" screen as the game loads, that has a background like the left image in my "signature" below?
I must rectify my post.....The diesel consumption is active, but it is very very very slow, unlike the battery consumption. I had empty the save game folder, but sometimes and random the game crashes to desktop.
lucadataranto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 11:46 AM   #3831
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
I must rectify my post.....The diesel consumption is active, but it is very very very slow, unlike the battery consumption. I had empty the save game folder, but sometimes and random the game crashes to desktop.
Ahoy, lucadataranto...

Info... info... info... is of utmost importance, chum.

To start with, source of your SH4 copy... & what version of it, is it...

2ndly, with respects to installation, just where did you install it, (pray tell it was NOT in either C:\Program files or C:\Program files (x86), as Windows.. if you're using a Windows based computer to play SH4 on... does NOT like files, much less anything located there, in it's iron grip... being tampered with. ) &... only copy of it, or are you running multiple copies of SH4, by chance.? (If so, see the section tagged MultiSH4... )

I assume (safely here, that you are using this next item) that you are using JSGME, to activate FotRS-U & any of the other sundry mods associated to & with FotRS-U.?

With JSGME, open that, click on "Tasks..." in the center, then in the pop up menu, scroll down to "Export activated mods list to", hover the mouse & open up a floating sub menu... & click on "clipboard". Doing so, will allow you to "paste" that list in a reply back to this or any other inquiry by you, concerning issues with FotRS-U (or any other SH game you're running modded.

MultiSH4: Is your friend, especially if you are running more than 1 copy of SH4... This is very important, as it keeps each modded version of SH4 you are running, with its own separate game saves folder. Can't stress enough the importance of doing this, is.

Just as important, also as well...

Did you use either a 4GB patch on SH4.exe or run Large Address Aware (also referred to as simply, LAA* )on SH4.exe as this will cause CTD's, as well, if not.

The patch is a bit of a process & can cause a lot of grief, if not properly done... so I hear... wouldn't know as I have yet to attempt to Myself & can only go by the info I've seen posted on using it.

I, Myself, use LAA* as it is a simple 3 step process... point to where the .exe is located, step 1, check mark the box in step 2, to assign it 4GB RAM usage & finally, step 3... click save & done.

Eazy peasy, Mac & cheezy... so easy... a caveman could do it...

*wipes tears* Sorry about that.. My weird sense of humor showing up there...

Ok, back to the meat of the matter here...

with your comment of CTD'ing... am thinking it's from a lack of using either the 4GB patch, or not using LAA... though, there is also the chance of having a mod conflict could also do it... as the most readily likely culprits... I will admit there are possible other causes that those more in the know could well point out as well.. but this here, will do for a start.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.

Old 09-10-21, 02:22 AM   #3832
VIIC1941
Watch

Downloads: 135

I am using a 4k monitor. The UI and text of the game are too small to see clearly. Is there any way to enlarge them?
VIIC1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-21, 06:54 AM   #3833
propbeanie

Not very easily, there isn't, VIIC1941. I cannot remember the user name, nor the thread, but someone mentions using an "auto-scaler" Lossless Scaling from the Steam site ($5US) and then runs the game on his 4k monitor at 2560x2048 resolution, and lets the scaler app bring it up to fill the monitor size, so he gets the best of both worlds. I don't know if that would help you, but it would make the text larger. I have a tough time with the game at 1280x1024, much less 1920x1080... - old eyes fading

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-10-21 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Whoops! mis-spoke, aka: mis-information... sigh
Old 09-14-21, 10:50 AM   #3834
Segwin
Planesman

Downloads: 127
Default Sonar Graphics Not Working

This has happened twice now. Save the game, come back in, go to the sonar station, use home and end to sweep and although it is sweeping (can see the bearing change in the upper left information panel, the indicator is stuck at 0 degrees as well as the indicator on the range finder.

Known problem?

TIA.
Segwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-21, 11:49 AM   #3835
propbeanie

Not anymore, it is not. First of all, I cannot see what boat you are in, nor where you are. Please post back with what submarine you have, the base you sailed from, the date, and your current location. It helps to track down issues when we have that. Second of all, which version of the mod are you using? Most of the earlier versions have issues when encountering a couple of specific AI subs (all mods do this), which you may or may not see. Most of the AI subs were fine in that version, but not all. The problem children have assets that are "shared" with the player's sub, and will cause a "zeroing" of the gauges that are then stuck (12 O'Clock High), or the sonar station gets weird, or any one of several other oddball issues. A return to port does return full operation to the player's sub, until the next encounter. Also, if you have the game installed in a Program Files folder, or failed to empty the Save folder, or did not properly activate either the 4Gig Patch or LAA, then you will have that problem and more. Let us know more details please. There is a "Preview" version of the mod at the bottom of the Release page, along with a "CrewFix" for it, under the "purple" text and "Spoiler" button. In that version, ALL of the AI subs are good-to-go (we hope ). We are attempting to finish up on the full release of that now, but we keep running into issues - and not all of those "issues" are game or mod related... Life can be a bother sometimes... lol

Old 09-14-21, 12:00 PM   #3836
Segwin
Planesman

Quote:
Not anymore, it is not. First of all, I cannot see what boat you are in, nor where you are. Please post back with what submarine you have, the base you sailed from, the date, and your current location. It helps to track down issues when we have that. Second of all, which version of the mod are you using? Most of the earlier versions have issues when encountering a couple of specific AI subs (all mods do this), which you may or may not see. Most of the AI subs were fine in that version, but not all. The problem children have assets that are "shared" with the player's sub, and will cause a "zeroing" of the gauges that are then stuck (12 O'Clock High), or the sonar station gets weird, or any one of several other oddball issues. A return to port does return full operation to the player's sub, until the next encounter. Also, if you have the game installed in a Program Files folder, or failed to empty the Save folder, or did not properly activate either the 4Gig Patch or LAA, then you will have that problem and more. Let us know more details please. There is a "Preview" version of the mod at the bottom of the Release page, along with a "CrewFix" for it, under the "purple" text and "Spoiler" button. In that version, ALL of the AI subs are good-to-go (we hope ). We are attempting to finish up on the full release of that now, but we keep running into issues - and not all of those "issues" are game or mod related... Life can be a bother sometimes... lol

Thanks much for the quick reply!

It is the enemy sub that is causing this. Both times this has happened an enemy sub was in my location - the last time I sunk the sub. It never dawned on me that this would be a problem.

I deleted everything and in the middle of reinstalling so I apologize for not having all the information at hand. As soon as I am done I will report back on my setup.

Thank you.
Old 09-14-21, 01:12 PM   #3837
propbeanie

Use that "Preview" and its patch, and you won't (shouldn't) have that issue.

Old 09-14-21, 05:43 PM   #3838
Segwin
Planesman

I've uninstalled and am reinstalling as we speak.

Sailed out of Pearl Harbor. Default first sub - Porpoise I believe. The MOD was the latest from the download area (sorry - don't have it installed at present).
Old 09-19-21, 02:26 PM   #3839
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default Checking in with FOTRSU team...

Quote:
Use that "Preview" and its patch, and you won't (shouldn't) have that issue.
It has been a very busy year at the Sailing School. One of our instructors injured his shoulder and I've been swamped with work for the past 6 months. He is back now so I've actually got a few days off in a row. I thought I would check in with the goings on with FOTRSU.

I downloaded the PREVIEW and the patch and took her out for a spin. Seems to be working GREAT! My current MOD list and load order is:

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_Preview16
Preview_EnlistedFix
Nihon Kaigun v1.0
Nippon Maru v1.4
Nippon Maru & Nihon Kaigun Combined
525_StickieCamera

I'll be starting a new career at Pearl Harbor, Dec. 1941 early war.
Thanks to the team for keeping this going. I always enjoy a good sail across the Pacific.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 09-20-21 at 05:59 AM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-21, 03:32 PM   #3840
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
It has been a very busy year at the Sailing School. One of our instructors injured his shoulder and I've been swamped with work for the past 6 months. He is back now so I've actually got a few days off in a row. I thought I would check in with the goings on with FOTRSU.

I downloaded the PREVIEW and the patch and took her out for a spin. Seems to be working GREAT! My current MOD list and load order is:

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_Preview16
Preview_EnlistedFix
Nippon Maru v1.4
525_StickieCamera

I'll be starting a new career at Pearl Harbor, Dec. 1941 early war.
Thanks to the team for keeping this going. I always enjoy a good sail across the Pacific.
If NOT mistaken, is no need to have the 525 stickie cam in the mix... again, if I'm not mistaken...

M. M.