SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-21, 06:46 PM   #1
JerseySeven
Random#

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0
Default More readable TDC dials?

Sorry if I missed this post here...

The numbers on the TDC dials on my system at 1080p resolutions are pretty blurred. I especially cannot decipher the range dial. A bunch of blurred numbers... I can't tell what is high, what is low or where the setting bug is. Makes manual targeting harder than it should be. AOB numbers are small, but I can usually set it OK.

Is there a JsGME loadable mod that provides higher res, sharper TDC dials? I'm using FOtRSU currently, but I don't think that mod is causing the blurring.

BTW: I can play any of the SH3 mega mods and SH5 Wolves of Steel with no difficulties in reading the Kriegsmarine TDC. Of course the US sub TDC is different but, heck, no reason it should be that blurry by comparison.
JerseySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-21, 07:33 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The TDC is unusable in the Fleetboats, unless you add Nisgeis's 3D TDC and Radar Range Unit, which is a work of art, in addition to being really, really cool... My guess though, is that you are referring to the links to the TDC on the periscope screen, like this:

If such is the case, about the only thing you can do in FotRSU is to try different settings in the Graphic Options of the game, with the Post Processing Filter maybe helping the most, since it does a "blur" effect, as well as a couple other "cinematic" effects on the screen. CapnScurvy made Optical Targeting Correction for RSRDC and TMO, and he added a range dial to his mod, which greatly improves that functionality. We keep hoping he'll come out of retirement long enough to do an OTC for FotRSU, but don't hold your breath - he is working on a 1955 Mercury, and loves parts "shopping", which probably involves travel across the country.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-21, 07:52 PM   #3
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The TDC is unusable in the Fleetboats, unless you add Nisgeis's 3D TDC and Radar Range Unit, which is a work of art, in addition to being really, really cool... My guess though, is that you are referring to the links to the TDC on the periscope screen, like this:

If such is the case, about the only thing you can do in FotRSU is to try different settings in the Graphic Options of the game, with the Post Processing Filter maybe helping the most, since it does a "blur" effect, as well as a couple other "cinematic" effects on the screen. CapnScurvy made Optical Targeting Correction for RSRDC and TMO, and he added a range dial to his mod, which greatly improves that functionality. We keep hoping he'll come out of retirement long enough to do an OTC for FotRSU, but don't hold your breath - he is working on a 1955 Mercury, and loves parts "shopping", which probably involves travel across the country.
Yes...

What about to add Nisgeis 3D TDC to FOTRSU as an addin mod?

Want...

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-21, 08:00 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Oh, me too, brother fitzcarraldo! lol - If I ever get a better understanding of the spider web of that aspect of the game, I might try an adaptation, and if successful, then attempt to contact Nisgeis... but in the meantime, if he ever gets to feeling crazy himself, we would definitely put it to good use in FotRSU, eh? - and if we had Scurvy's OTC? wow!...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-21, 08:45 PM   #5
JerseySeven
Random#

Downloads: 142

@propbeanie; @fitzcarraldo

AMEN, brothers! That would truly be awesome! Thank you for sharing your broad knowledge of what has been done and what may be done!
JerseySeven is offline   Reply With Quote