SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-26-21, 03:40 AM   #1
succerpunch
Torpedoman

Downloads: 292
Uploads: 0
Default Is SH3 considered abandonware?

As the title says. Is the game considered abandonware after being 15 years old?
Old 07-26-21, 10:56 AM   #2
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by succerpunch View Post
I don't know if it is considered abandonware after 15 years, but for sure SH3 is anything but abandoned, just look at the mods that are still being created.
Hi quality mods made by very talented people that make SH3 very enjoyable and almost unrecognizable form the original SH3 released in 2005. I hope we keep it alive and kicking for some more years...

CapZap
Old 07-26-21, 10:58 AM   #3
succerpunch
Torpedoman

Downloads: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapZap1970 View Post
I don't know if it is considered abandonware after 15 years, but for sure SH3 is anything but abandoned, just look at the mods that are still being created.
Hi quality mods made by very talented people that make SH3 very enjoyable and almost unrecognizable form the original SH3 released in 2005. I hope we keep it alive and kicking for some more years...

CapZap

Okay so mod wise it is not abandoned that I know but game wise. Ubisoft doesn't care about it anymore. Even the series as a whole.
Old 07-26-21, 11:52 AM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by succerpunch View Post
This was what I found, after doing a search to see what the considerations for a game to be considered as 'abandonware':

There’s a few ways to determine if a game is considered an Abandonware.

First, if the company for the game no longer exists or develops, then the game can be considered abandonware.

Second, if the game developer is active, but has not updated the game in a long time (2–3 years long), then it can be considered.

Third, the product was released to open source and development was ended.

Fourth, copyright running out.

Fifth, the product is no longer easily obtainable.

Sixth, the modern hardware is not able to run said game.

And seventh, if the game itself was considered “Dead” by the company so they decide to drop it without even a saving grace.

On that note, here is 'My' analysis, based on the above info... for the what it is worth column:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Point 1.

As we all well know, Ubi's still around & kicking... just how well, remains to be seen... So, that pretty much rules out the 1st line there.

Point 2.

Since Ubi's still around & active (again, just how active, is the question... ) YET... they have pretty much for all intents & purposes, have abandoned doing anything with SH3... much less SH4 or SH5 for that fact, as to do with updates or updating. On the other hand, though not big ticket items in their... repertoire, of games line up... it is still listed by them.

So on that front, it's.. ehh... iffy at best. Say... 50/50'ish.

Points 3. & 4.

As for the 3rd & 4th, to be frank, I have no idea on those scores... & no clear idea of where or what to look for for a definitive answer there...

Point 5.

As with point 2, 5th, is a no brainer there, as SH3 is still readily available through many sources to (legally, that is... ) obtain a copy. So it's not that difficult to grab one. So that point is moot.

Point 7.

As for the 7th, as I understand it... Onkel Neal & a couple of other sub simmers, did contact Ubi or their reps.. as I understand it.. though that was more in line with regards to the SH3.exe aspect, & were told basically that Ubi didn't 2 rats butt cheeks. So, basically in essence, pretty much (by Ipso facto) validated point 7 here.

I know I skipped over point 6, so now on to that 1...

Point 6.
Now, as to 6th on that list... this much like bullet point 2 here.. this is gray area, as for now at least, Op systems are still able to handle the coding & such though not perfectly.. considering all the computer gymnastics that have to be done to have it work... it does so.

So.... in a nutshell, is it or is it not... it's 50/50'ish here. As long as it's still rattling coppers in Ubi's coffers kettle, they're not going to stick a fork in it & call it abandoned officially but, for all practical intents, they may as well plug the plug & call it so.. but... that's just My own opinion on it.

Take it with a grain of salt...

Hope this info helped...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 08-06-21 at 11:34 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 12:35 PM   #5
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51

Agree with you guys.
Taking all those points into account I see now what the term "abandonware" refers to, just that I don't think SH3 has been left in a basket to rot due to lack of attention. IMHO it's still pretty much in "active duty", of course mainly to the work of the modders, users, Subsim, Onkel Neal and thousands of great people!
Old 07-26-21, 01:46 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

SH2, SH3, SH4 & SH5 are all still available for purchase on the Ubisoft Store, so none of them are "abandonware" yet... they still make money off of their publication, and (theoretically) still copyright protected...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 02:06 PM   #7
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...nt_Hunter_III/

only $9.99

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote