SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-18-21, 06:24 AM   #61
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

So, I had a long break in this project caused by working on aircraft pack, but now with work on planes being almost complete, I resumed working on remaining "little ships" and I have a bit of progress to report (though no new ships for upload yet):

Coastal Ferry - based on MV Lochiel from 1939 - finished most of diffuse textures with just some details remaining, then I'll add interior, AO map and she'll be ready for import:

I started modeling a new warship as well - YMS-class minesweeper. Only halfway through modeling (not to speak of texture or import) so this one won't be ready soon, but I'll be getting there

kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-21, 01:01 PM   #62
AMZ
Watch

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Great job Kapuhy

And all in the GR2 format.

What a mastery, great Master !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Since I relased the pack before I learned how to move the fx bones (the trick, it appears, was to change one line in Shipname.1st file...), I disabled most of the SH5 effects anyway, except for those that coincidentally were in right places despite hull shape change. Only exception is Large Fishing Trawler - since in this case ship shape didn't change much I kept most effects from original.

That interests me, please, can you just expand , with a few screenshots.

Thank you

Old 04-24-21, 02:12 PM   #63
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
That interests me, please, can you just expand , with a few screenshots.
No need for screenshots really, it was a simple mistake I made.

Let's say you want to make a new ship and you call it MyShip. It's folder inside \data\sea will be called MyShip, and it will contain, among other files following .gr2 files:

MyShip.gr2 - main model gr2 file
MyShip_LOD.gr2 - LOD model, simplified, for long distances
MyShip_FX.gr2 - FX file - it doesn't contain any meshes, just bones that determine where SH5 effects will be placed (explosions, fires and such).

The problem I had was that no matter how I moved bones in MyShip_FX.gr2 file, fires and explosions were being played in wrong places. Why?

It turned out I forgot to update a small text file that is also in each ship folder, in our case it would be called MyShip.lst. This file consists of a single line that is a path to FX file responsible for the effects. Because path didn't point to my modified FX file, but to FX file of stock game ship that I used as template, all changes I made to effect placement were ignored by the game.
Old 04-26-21, 11:41 AM   #64
AMZ
Watch

Downloads: 58

Thank you for the answer Kapuhy.

I understand that you have also created your FX effect.
this is great.

Without wanting to bother you, in another thread I will wish to share with you my difficulties for the realization of a lighthouse with long range light ...

and congratulations
Old 05-01-21, 06:11 PM   #65
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Another ship in progress. If it looks weirdly familiar, that's because I reused texture and a lot of small details from raised quarterdeck steamer, which simplified the work a lot.

It's based on Kyle Rhea coastal steamer:

Old 11-01-21, 10:10 AM   #66
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Another ship in progress. If it looks weirdly familiar, that's because I reused texture and a lot of small details from raised quarterdeck steamer, which simplified the work a lot.

Beautiful ! Maybe the portholes seem a bit too large for me...

Quote:
I still have several models of larger ships I plan to add to this mod in future updates (in this case "larger" means between 500-1600 GRT, these are still coastal vessels):

I very would like to see one day in game the steam merchant ship which is on the picture in the middle. It's a very common class/type from previous war, and many were still sailing during WWII.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-21, 06:16 AM   #67
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

It wouldn't be too difficult for you to model this ship : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersey-class_trawler

Precise plans : https://modelismenavalradioc.forumac...ersey-de-a-a-z

Last edited by Mister_M; 11-02-21 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-03-21, 12:25 PM   #68
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
It wouldn't be too difficult for you to model this ship : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersey-class_trawler

Precise plans : https://modelismenavalradioc.forumac...ersey-de-a-a-z
Interesting one, added to plans collection, thanks

No promises though, I have several ships I've already started to finish first, including one you've mentioned in earlier post.
Old 11-03-21, 01:37 PM   #69
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Interesting one, added to plans collection, thanks

No promises though, I have several ships I've already started to finish first, including one you've mentioned in earlier post.
I'm just giving ideas
Old 11-04-21, 07:10 AM   #70
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I very would like to see one day in game the steam merchant ship which is on the picture in the middle. It's a very common class/type from previous war, and many were still sailing during WWII.
...oh and speaking of common ship types from WW1 time, I have another one (finished modeling, waiting for import to sh5):

Old 11-04-21, 08:23 AM   #71
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
...oh and speaking of common ship types from WW1 time, I have another one (finished modeling, waiting for import to sh5):

Lovely !

I wish to import them in SH3 also, if you agree of course.

Do you intend to create various "weathered" textures also, that would be great ! (Good pictures here can help you to ofind inspiration : https://www.sixtant.net/2011/artigos...ian-submarines)

And don't forget to do a proper "war re-paint" to remove bright red deck and white upper surfaces... (the funnel too could be repainted in grey).

Oh, by the way, how many triangles for this complete model ?

Last edited by Mister_M; 11-04-21 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-04-21, 09:26 AM   #72
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I wish to import them in SH3 also, if you agree of course.
Sure, I'm happy to share them

Quote:
Do you intend to create various "weathered" textures also, that would be great ! (Good pictures here can help you to ofind inspiration : https://www.sixtant.net/2011/artigos...ian-submarines)

And don't forget to do a proper "war re-paint" to remove bright red deck and white upper surfaces... (the funnel too could be repainted in grey).
Yes and yes. You might have noticed several ships share texture - idea is to use the same base texture for a number of ships, then make several variants of it (black/white, black/buff, grey etc) which could be used for all ships sharing the same base texture file.

Edit: As for "weathered" version: in SH5 "weathering" is done through Ambient Occlusion texture which is not visible in Blender, but will be in place in final imported version.

Quote:
Oh, by the way, how many triangles for this complete model ?
Old 11-04-21, 09:54 AM   #73
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Sure, I'm happy to share them
Great !!! All I need is the 3D model, the texture(s) and some data on the ship (possible names, type (folder's name for the game), tonnage, dimensions, max speed....).

Old 11-04-21, 10:56 AM   #74
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

I've tried to convert one of your ship today, but I can't open GR2 files... What software do you use to edit those files ?

Another question : do you model the hull of your ships with their original lines plans, or do you use only side and top views ?

Else, it seems some nations are missing in roster (Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, etc.), because you've written some textures availability for these countries in your Countries availability table.pdf. Maybe these data are for TWOS and not vanilla ?

Last edited by Mister_M; 11-04-21 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-04-21, 11:28 AM   #75
Demon777
Medic

Downloads: 97

kapuhy, the ship is amazing
Demon777 is offline   Reply With Quote