SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-12, 12:15 AM   #61
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha1967 View Post
Alright, this doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever, but I'll just go ahead and report it anyway.

I'd noticed when I left Kiel on my next patrol right after installing this mod that my FPSs dropped to about 15 until I left Kiel harbor proper (passing through the dread double lane leading into the Kanal where many a new Kaleun has scraped his boat horribly ), but I didn't really mind as 15, while certainly unusual for my rig and a bit "jerky", isn't much of an issue unless you're in combat, and I think that the BdU would mind terribly if I were to start shooting in Kiel.

I pass through the Kanal, slip into the North Sea and pass Helgoland with good, if somewhat low compared to normal, frame rates (40-50) and then switch to the NavMap to accelerate to the East Coast of England under Time Compression (disabling Travel Mode first, of course. Is there a way to make Travel Mode NOT the default when you load a career?) and that's when I noticed, wanting to drop to TC1 just to enjoy the sunset, that the Enter key didn't respond right away. It did if I held it, but not instantly like I've been used to.

Of course, as this isn't my first rodeo, I knew that sluggish controls are usually due to CPU overload, so I switched on the FPS meter again and found out that my FPS had taken a huge hit. On the NavMap of all places, which shouldn't happen. Well, unless you insist on traveling at TC2048 or something, but then you're likely to find yourself dead pretty soon as a DD warps in and sinks you before you can drop out of it. Never TC above 512 (or 256 if within enemy air cover). But in my case, my FPS dropped all the way to 3 or 4 even at TC128.

Which made no sense to me at all. After all, one of the reasons I use the NavMap for TC'ing is that there's nothing for the CPU to do when I'm looking at the NavMap but still, there it was. No denying it. Not to mention that the FPS was lower than normal even on TC1, at about 30 which, previously, usually was about 80.

So I started wondering what I'd changed since last, and the only mod I'd added was this one, the Crash Dive time fix. Which made even less sense but, nothing to do but to save, unload the mod, then load and check again and, sure enough, with this mod unloaded my FPS behave perfectly normally.

Is there something about this mod that could possibly keep the CPU busy on the NavMap? Because otherwise I have no idea what's going on.

Anybody else noticed anything like this?
At my end all works ok, FPS without any hit. Also if you look at the files that it changes, it have not that can hit FPS...commands.cfg just change some keys, menu.txt just one text enter, ai crew scripts are only used when you call them and have not to hit fps, the others files are pure text edition...so?
Probably the culprite is another thing, perhaps some bad JSGME enable/disable mods. Anyway lets wait others feedback.
Old 03-04-12, 01:12 AM   #62
misha1967
Commander

Downloads: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
At my end all works ok, FPS without any hit. Also if you look at the files that it changes, it have not that can hit FPS...commands.cfg just change some keys, menu.txt just one text enter, ai crew scripts are only used when you call them and have not to hit fps, the others files are pure text edition...so?
Probably the culprite is another thing, perhaps some bad JSGME enable/disable mods. Anyway lets wait others feedback.
I agree. Like I said, it doesn't make any sense to me either since you're only working on key bindings and scripts that only kick in when you call them. I actually didn't expect any change from disabling your mod since, again, it doesn't make sense to me, but it still happened.

More reports are needed, I just filed mine to make sure that if anybody else was noticing it, they would know. Heaven knows with our mod soups it's hard to tell what might work for some and not for others

Just one question: Your changes didn't alter the way animations stop after TC32 or anything like that, did they? Because that would explain why my CPU is still working like crazy beyond that point.

Anyway: I'd love to find out what caused it on my rig, because I love your mod!

ADDED: You know what, Rubini, I just remembered something else. It may not be relevant, but just for the sake of completion... Remember how I asked you when you first made this mod whether I'd have to unload the old optional MFCM crash dive workaround to get yours to work because I was still on patrol and you told me that, since yours pretty much overwrites all the changes in the old one, probably didn't have to? Well, and this is just because I'm an airhead, when I redid my mod soup after that patrol and put yours in my .MEP file, I forgot to delete the old one from it. I wonder if there's some sort of conflict between the two? I'll test it when I get back from this patrol. Also, you didn't bind the "T" key to something new, did you? I'm asking because I sometimes use that one to activate the radio (when I'm lazy and don't want to click on the radio officer icon) and I do remember doing that when I got the FPS hit.
Old 03-04-12, 10:01 AM   #63
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha1967 View Post
I agree. Like I said, it doesn't make any sense to me either since you're only working on key bindings and scripts that only kick in when you call them. I actually didn't expect any change from disabling your mod since, again, it doesn't make sense to me, but it still happened.

More reports are needed, I just filed mine to make sure that if anybody else was noticing it, they would know. Heaven knows with our mod soups it's hard to tell what might work for some and not for others

Just one question: Your changes didn't alter the way animations stop after TC32 or anything like that, did they? Because that would explain why my CPU is still working like crazy beyond that point.

Anyway: I'd love to find out what caused it on my rig, because I love your mod!

ADDED: You know what, Rubini, I just remembered something else. It may not be relevant, but just for the sake of completion... Remember how I asked you when you first made this mod whether I'd have to unload the old optional MFCM crash dive workaround to get yours to work because I was still on patrol and you told me that, since yours pretty much overwrites all the changes in the old one, probably didn't have to? Well, and this is just because I'm an airhead, when I redid my mod soup after that patrol and put yours in my .MEP file, I forgot to delete the old one from it. I wonder if there's some sort of conflict between the two? I'll test it when I get back from this patrol. Also, you didn't bind the "T" key to something new, did you? I'm asking because I sometimes use that one to activate the radio (when I'm lazy and don't want to click on the radio officer icon) and I do remember doing that when I got the FPS hit.
Hi misha,

1. No, the mod don´t mess with anything related on how your game will handle things in TC.
2. Overwrite totally the old MFCM crash dive fix (not really necessary to dlete it)
3. Don´t uses the "T" key
4. tested yesterday (after your post) a new campaign mission starting in kiel and all runned well, no FPS hits.
Old 03-06-12, 03:59 AM   #64
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366

hi again,

while testing the last version (including my new sounds and little script changes for them) i can say that it wont impact on frames or stability, but make some things working that wasnt work before (like "TDW incomming radio message auto TC1 together with playing incomming radio message sound").

but there is a little other thing nerving now, the (pos right hand screen) icon for speed changes... it wont disapear!

...anyway i hate those "housewifeicons" (dept/speed changing indicators) and wonder why TDW didnt removed them allready (is there maybe an opton i missed)

...and by the way, i also hate that "mouseover clickable object hand icon", it constandly pop in my view and steel immersion

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 04:37 AM   #65
misha1967
Commander

Downloads: 78

Still testing it myself, thinking it was a fluke, but it isn't. Every time I enable this mod, my FPS drop to single digits in TC, when I disable it, they go back to normal.

Must be something in my mod soup doing it. This is it without the mod added to the end:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\MODS]

RemoveLogoIntroTheDarkWraith
No Damn Bubbles, No Damn Halo Mod
Accurate German Flags
Dynamic Environment SH5 Basemod (normal ) V2.1
Dynamic Environment SH5 BrighterNights V2.1
Dynamic Environment SH5 Waves (normal version) V2.1
Dynamic Environment SH5 Sounds V2.1
No magic skills v1.5 MCCD compatible
MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Alt faces
MFCM 1.2.1 OPTIONAL crash_dive workaround
MCCD_1.04_MFCM_1.2.1_compatible
German U-Boat Crew Language Pack
Speech fixes and additions (german version)
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2.1 Patch
Stormys DBSM SH5 v1.3 Basemod
Stormys DBSM SH5 v1.3 additional crew sounds beta6 and hotfix
sobers see thru wake fix
sobers 3D deck spray mod V7
Window_Lights_Redone_V1
NOZAURIO'S SKIN (Standar No Emblem) v-1.0.0
Pascal-sh5-Crew-Uniforms. 12.2011
FX_Update_0_0_19_ByTheDarkWraith
IRAI_0_0_30_ByTheDarkWraith (for Sober Fog)
IRAI_upgrade_to_v_0_0_31
NewUIs_TDC_6_9_0_ByTheDarkWraith
Manos Scopes-patch for 16x9
Critical hits 1.1 Torpedos
OPEN HORIZONS II_base v1.7
OPEN HORIZONS II_enviro v1.7
OHII v1.7 patch1
OH II Minefield map for TDWs Ui
Trevally Tutorials - All v0.2 (for TDW UI)
Trevally Automated Scripts v0.6
Trevally Harbour & Kiel Canal Pilot v2.8
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk
sobers NO water drops V1
smaller flags for Warships 1_0b
Change days in bunker
sobers best ever fog V9 SH5
stoianm colored exterior mod v2 (low color)
Old 03-06-12, 08:20 AM   #66
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfly View Post
but there is a little other thing nerving now, the (pos right hand screen) icon for speed changes... it wont disapear!

seams i solved this issue, it had something to do with the antilag frame limiter and render ahead settings, i updated the config and the problem seams to be gone, testing longer

Code:
; D3D9 antilag config file
; by Kegetys <http://www.kegetys.net>

; RenderAheadLimit: Limit how many frames ahead are rendered to reduce input lag. 0 to disable.
; FPSlimit: Limit framerate for smoother gameplay and reduced cpu/gpu use. 0 to disable.

[config]
RenderAheadLimit=2
FPSlimit=50

Old 03-06-12, 11:03 AM   #67
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267

Same problem here "icon for speed changes... it wont disapear"
mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 01:50 PM   #68
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelanderlund View Post
Same problem here "icon for speed changes... it wont disapear"
I don't use the anti lag and also don't have this "persistent speed icon" problem here. If it persist please let me know more details that I will look for. Anyway, same as the FPS hit, I can't see how this mod can change that icon behaviour...
Old 03-06-12, 02:47 PM   #69
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267

No, I can't get rid of the "persistent speed icon" problem

mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 03:58 PM   #70
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelanderlund View Post
No, I can't get rid of the "persistent speed icon" problem

yes, still the same here, i thought i could fix it with the new antilag settings but this wasnt true...

...but true is that the performnce is much better with my current (above posted) settings.

Old 03-06-12, 04:27 PM   #71
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I have always used antilag and have never had these problems . I only use the TDW GUI though .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 04:56 PM   #72
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
I have always used antilag and have never had these problems . I only use the TDW GUI though .
functional, persistant or what ever... i hate this icons

...but they are an indicator that something isnt working correctly, as the game also crash if the speed icon stay for to long

edit: now i changed antilag frame limiter to 40, seams to be stable atm (even with that icon persistant visible).

Last edited by Stormfly; 03-06-12 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-06-12, 05:35 PM   #73
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

What is this script manager used for ?
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 05:43 PM   #74
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

looks interresting , but i need a break

Old 03-06-12, 10:17 PM   #75
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
What is this script manager used for ?
allows you to see global values in real time. It also allows you to edit/change scripts in real time. Sort of like a debugger but not anything near the power of one.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote