Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-23, 07:37 AM   #1
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Default Looking for someone to do 2 tutorials

I've been playing SH3 and SH5 for many, many years.

All this time, I only do 90-degree attacks. This way range is irrelevant.

Plus, it's fun when you hit a convoy column dead-on and you fire 4 fish and they go BOOM...BOOM...BOOM...BOOM and take out 4 ships in a row.

However, there have been many times when I would like to shoot at a ship that is not at 90 AOB when I'm 90 degrees to its track.

Let's say you have two tankers, one following the other. I have a perfect 90 degree attack on the lead tanker, but it will be hit and the rear tanker will start turning before the rear tanker lines up for a 90 degree shot.

I should be able to fire on the rear and the lead and let the computer figure out the impacts.

So, the first tutorial I would like to see is how to shoot at a ship that you are on a 90 degree intercept with its track, but you won't be shooting 90 degree AOB.

So this. But, I want to shoot before the target reaches 90 AOB.

The second thing I want to learn is how to fire at a ship that is not in front of you and you are not 90 degrees to its track.

So this:

I'm aware that for optimal torpedo impact detonation you need to hit the ship pretty close to 90. But angled shots like this will work with magnetic detonators under the hull.

Thanks!
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-23, 11:04 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Here is a tutorial I made a few years ago which you might fine useful,
J.P.C. 45 Degree Method SHV Revised For Tutorial > Pictorial > YouTube Tutorial
You could also use the to work out other angles
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-23, 01:14 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

THEBERBSTER!!! Good to "see" you good sir!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-23, 06:21 AM   #4
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

It’s a very common, but mistaken, belief that I see frequently that range is only irrelevant when the track is 90°. Range is irrelevant as long as the gyro angle is zero, regardless of the approach angle. Remember, range is not a part of the calculation of pure lead angle:

Arcsin lead angle = target speed / torpedo speed * sin AOB

At different ranges, the triangle simply grows and shrinks, but the relationship of the sides remains the same, and so the lead angle remains the same.

In practice, as long as the gyro angle is within about 20° of your bow, range will pretty much not matter. This is easy to convince yourself of by simply playing with the TDC dials. For example, set the gyro angle to anywhere within 20° of your bow (by adjusting bearing), and then play with the range knob over the entire range of its throw and you will see that it hardly has any impact on the gyro angle. Now, turn the bearing until the gyro angle is large, like say 90. Now go back and play with the range again, and you will see it has a tremendous impact on gyro angle.

So in your case, when you’re making an approach, and you want to shoot at multiple ships, ideally you would point your boat such that, when you have to shoot at each one, the gyro angle is still within 20° of your bow. This makes range irrelevant as a source of error.

As a sidenote, the real S3 TDC took own course changes into account, unlike the game, which made maneuvering while firing possible. In our case, since we have to reset AOB every time we change course, it’s important to find a good attack course such that you can shoot at multiple targets without having to turn to optimize gyro angles.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-23, 06:49 PM   #5
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
It’s a very common, but mistaken, belief that I see frequently that range is only irrelevant when the track is 90°. Range is irrelevant as long as the gyro angle is zero, regardless of the approach angle. Remember, range is not a part of the calculation of pure lead angle:

Arcsin lead angle = target speed / torpedo speed * sin AOB

At different ranges, the triangle simply grows and shrinks, but the relationship of the sides remains the same, and so the lead angle remains the same.

In practice, as long as the gyro angle is within about 20° of your bow, range will pretty much not matter. This is easy to convince yourself of by simply playing with the TDC dials. For example, set the gyro angle to anywhere within 20° of your bow (by adjusting bearing), and then play with the range knob over the entire range of its throw and you will see that it hardly has any impact on the gyro angle. Now, turn the bearing until the gyro angle is large, like say 90. Now go back and play with the range again, and you will see it has a tremendous impact on gyro angle.

So in your case, when you’re making an approach, and you want to shoot at multiple ships, ideally you would point your boat such that, when you have to shoot at each one, the gyro angle is still within 20° of your bow. This makes range irrelevant as a source of error.

As a sidenote, the real S3 TDC took own course changes into account, unlike the game, which made maneuvering while firing possible. In our case, since we have to reset AOB every time we change course, it’s important to find a good attack course such that you can shoot at multiple targets without having to turn to optimize gyro angles.

Thanks for the info and the correction the range information.

I have played around with one of the SH5 WOS tutorial missions and discovered how to fire on a ship whose track is 90 degrees to my own heading but with a non-90 AOB.

The way I did it was this:

1) Determine target track and speed. Enter Speed into Target Data Computer.

2) Position uboat on 90 degree course to target track. I don't think uboat course matters, but let's suppose you were doing a 90 degree attack on a convoy, but there was a target in the back of the convoy you wanted to hit also without waiting for it to cross your path.
3) Use the compass tool or other means to determine/estimate the Angle On Bow. Enter AOB into the TDC. Once you enter the AOB, it should update automatically as you follow the target with the periscope. You can confirm it from time to time as the target moves along its track.

4) Determine a range at which you want to fire. This will be some point in front of the target's current position. You can actually set the range to it's current position, but by the time you get back to the TDC to enter the information it will have moved. It's easier to enter a range closer than the target currently is, and then wait for the target to reach that range.
Enter that range into the TDC.

At this point the TDC has all information it needs for a firing solution. Bearing to Target, Angle on Bow, Range, and Speed.

If you turn on Torpedo Firing Solution on the map, you will see that your torpedo firing solution is quite a bit ahead of the target, as it should be.

5) When the target reaches the range you input into the TDC, fire your torpedo. If all your data was input accurately, the torpedo should intercept the target.

Naturally, impact pistols will not be very effective and steep angles like this. Naturally, you will want to use a deep run and magnetic pistol.
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-23, 11:18 AM   #6
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Looks like a sound method to me! And the nice thing about keeping the gyro angle low is that your final range only needs to be a rough estimate. That can save people the time and trouble of having to feel like they need to accurately measure the range before they shoot. Certainly not needed. But always good to at least roughly estimate it.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote