SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-19, 04:21 AM   #1
ebdons
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Newbie about to decide?

Hi, not been on here for a while, after playing with all the SH series and waiting to see if any more SH games are coming out, and now deciding on wolfpack or going back to SH 3,4,5 etc. this is steam only now no game disc will be made right? has this game a long term future as I see the reviews and some have given it mostly thumbs up but what is the development timescale? complete game by next year? or 5 years? Ton
ebdons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 10:55 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

ebdons! FOLLOW Onkel Neal's threads on Wolfpack; https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2615058&postcount=1 I'm waiting on the "lone wolf version" myself since my miniscule social skillset doesn't permit me to to recruit a competent crew of four toadying sycophants totally obedient to their kaleun's will at 2AM!!...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-07-19 at 11:38 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 11:50 AM   #3
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Observe through periscope before firing.

I think you should wait for the single player version too. I did not and spent a lot of frustrating time trying to do it all myself. I also had frustration with the team version, either with people who did not play as a team, or trying to find a time slot that fit my life.

The game is not as good as any of the Silent Hunter series for game play.

It is a step forward towards a great concept that will eventually score big.

Have a look at U-Boat game before deciding. It too is a work in progress, but is more interesting than Wolfpack right now.
Old 08-07-19, 12:35 PM   #4
ebdons
Swabbie

Hi thanks for the replies, looked U-Boat game 1st and not convinced this is what I want, think wolfpack is the one for me, so maybe will wait and see some more feedback, as I think wolfpack is nearer to the SH series? It's a limited appeal game tho, and think I will re-load SH and mods to give me my sub fix? Tony
Old 08-09-19, 01:32 AM   #5
gurudennis
Mate

Downloads: 2

Wolfpack has a lot of depth to it, perhaps surprisingly for an Early Access title. You'll find that it's not as content-heavy as the SH series, but is otherwise very true to the genre.

Contrary to the opinions expressed here, it's entirely possible to play solo. After the initial break-in period of learning the controls, the TDC, and practicing your attacks, you should be able to run alone without any issues. This is provided you put in the time to "git gud" as it were.

Then there's an extra layer of complexity coordinating attacks with up to 3 other subs. If done well, and with good companions, this can be a very satisfying experience.

I hope this helps you decide in favor of Wolfpack, but I may be biased :P
gurudennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 01:52 AM   #6
PeterS
Swabbie

Downloads: 83

My two cents: Wolfpack is currently the most in-depth simulation, which I personally love. Compared to Silent Hunter 5 (+ Wolves of Steel), the simulation aspect is much improved, hard to go back to SH5 once you get familar with the mechanism in Wolfpack. On the other hand, I still jump back and forth between Wolfpack and SH5 for my subsim needs because SH5 offers the best all-around package with a campaign, more interesting and surprising random encounters and a still solid simulation (only talking about modded SH5 here).

U-Boat sounds interesting, but after playing it for a while I lost interest quickly. The simulation is poor, repeating almost identical encounters get boring and the game is overall still in a rough state. On the positive side, it offers some new fresh approach to the genre and is regulary updated by its developers. I think it might have a promising future, but right now I don't see it as a replacement for SH5. I don't really want to badmouth U-Boat here, I have a lot of respect for the small development team, but just offering my personal opinion on it, whatever that's worth.

In short, if you are interested in a simulation, Wolfpack is for you but U-Boat is probably not. I spent more money on worse games which I played for less time.
Solo is very possible, though can get a bit stressful occasionally. I personally never played it in multiplayer yet. My only complaint on Wolfpack Solo is the lack of a pause function and that you need to invest a few hours into one non-stop gaming session, no save & reload. Had to abort a few good runs because of interruptions. I am aware this is not the scope of the game.

Reading through all the historical information offered by the gents on this forum like Mr. Stoßtrupp brings playing Wolfpack to a new level and really improved my insight and interest in the whole U-Boot topic.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 05:37 AM   #7
ebdons
Swabbie

Ok many thanks for the updated opinions, you say there is no pause button, but can you speed up the travelling time? yes I know this MP and that would effect gameplay etc, but we would be unlikely to complete a mission within a few hours. without going into the whole game, are the devs trying to make a better version of SH? but have as much detail in the game like loadout and upgrading subs etc? tony
Old 08-09-19, 06:25 AM   #8
PeterS
Swabbie

Downloads: 83

No time compression. Time is fixed 1x. Understandable for multiplayer.

Unlike other subsim games, where you need to travel large distances and don't want to do that in real time, time compression is not really needed in Wolfpack. Each mission spawns you close to a random convoy, then you play that mission for 2-3 hours and are done. So you don't have to pass a lot of time travelling. Occasionally, with a bad spawn, you may find yourself behind a fast moving convoy, then the overtaking may take a bit longer, especially in good sight (need larger distance). So mission time may vary.

I don't think the goal is to create a Silent Hunter 5 successor, but to offer a hardcore simulator which throws you into the action while skipping the largly uninteresting "Gammelfahrt" (boring travel) part. I like both games and their philosophy, they complement each other nicely.
Anyways, I'm not the Wolfpack expert and don't know the roadmap, but got above impression from previous comments on this forum. Might be totally wrong.

U-Boat seems to aim for a full-fledged SH5 successor with some "Sims Atlantic" gameplay mixed in, but it's not yet there.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 07:34 AM   #9
ebdons
Swabbie

Hi, thanks for the info, think I better pull the trigger on this game then. bit pricey for EA but look at Star Citizen and it's costs. Ton
Old 08-09-19, 09:29 AM   #10
ebdons
Swabbie

Just downloaded from steam, had some wallet credits to spend so ok with that. see you all in game soon. ton
Old 08-09-19, 12:25 PM   #11
ebdons
Swabbie

Hi just played my first mission, solo for now and not bad at all? needs fine tuning and surprised it has smooth graphics, feels like SH so that's good, need a german voice pack and other mods, but pleased to be part of it now. can't wait for the updates. Ton
Old 08-17-19, 05:12 AM   #12
Corto
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

A Newbie Question: Can i play Wolfpack solo? Campaigns etc.?

Thank you in advance!
Old 08-17-19, 06:16 AM   #13
ceh
Sailor man

Downloads: 8

There isn't a campaign at the moment.

You can play solo, you need to run from station to station to do everything yourself. Not impossible, but needs a bit of practice.
ceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 07:20 AM   #14
Corto
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

is there a campaign coming in the future?
Old 08-17-19, 07:46 AM   #15
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Yes: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=227031