SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-20, 08:32 PM   #1921
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Why are you "re-installing" your Save folder though, and how are you seeing any ship in that folder? Are you referring to a Load from that Save folder set? If your Save folder is corrupted though, do not restore it after deleting it. You can try to continue your career, if you don't want to lose all of that career progress, but realize that your data is potentially corrupt, and even starting a new career, you will still have corrupt data in the Save folder... The idea behind deleting the Save folder data is to eliminate it, and let the game start over "fresh" with no data in the Save folder.
I deleted everything, including the Data folder, in the ThisPC>Documents>FRS>Data directory in hopes only the Saves were corrupted and let the system recreate the Data file when I started the new career. So far, so good, I guess.

The Kuriles assignment was a pleasant surprise, even if we didn't find anything Japanese bigger than a corvette.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 09:43 PM   #1922
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Thank you You should NOT have a mess of airplanes on the hillsides. Why airplanes can't gain altitude in SH4 to clear a hill is beyond me. You will see the fluorescent flares, because that's what survivors do, even if on land, but those are what drag the game down, so we want to avoid airplanes crashing into the mountains... I can only guess, because I have not managed to replicate the issue on my system yet, but similar to what others encountered off the coast of Japan, we are getting an inappropriate response to Japanese ships - I think - because I have gone up the slot closer to Shortland in early November, and I am seeing quite a few B-25s, Wildcats, and PBYs coming out and attacking the Tokyo Express... so we'll noodle some with the American Airbases, and try to calm that response down. This might also explain why surface traffic is light, because I watched as about six B25s took out a small Task Force (one CL and about 4 DD) in less than five minutes...
Props, after installing the latest v1.24 etc. I made three patrols in Spearfish, starting in Manila 12/8/41, then Surabaya, and one more out of Fremantle. I was upgraded to Thresher (Tambor) out of Fremantle. Completed my fourth patrol and started the next patrol on 8/11/42, assigned to patrol the NW section of the Philippine coast. I met that objective and since the Marines were now on Guadalcanal decided on my own to proceed to Noumea for refuel/rearm and from there up to the "Canal".

Arrived there on 9/18/42 and took a position at the very North end of Guadalcanal. Almost immediately sonar picked up warships headed our way. I noted very little air activity up to that time. Met the oncoming IJN force (a light cruiser followed by a mess of transport DE's, sinking a couple. After escaping I moved within a couple of hundred yards of the north end of Guadalcanal to await the next night's run down the slot.

That's when things went to hell, so to speak. Planes,, Planes, Planes! Within hours there were wrecks and pink flares all over behind the mountains aft of my boat. Using the external camera, at one point I counted 12 flares up there, plus a number of wrecked planes, including two p-47s of all things (painted with sharks teeth like the Flying Tigers and armed with rockets under the wings), 2 downed Catalinas, several Wildcats with large bombs on the center line, One Betty, 2 "Tojos", and a number of others I couldn't find.

At that point the TC became useless above 32x, but it soon got worse. First I was attacked because I was so busy checking out the wrecks I forgot my primary responsibility. Looking at the map, the water area just north of my position was covered with planes! Most were returning US planes, but there were also incoming Japanese I didn't stop to count them because I had to dive to escape the Betty that was hounding us. The traffic volume simply overwhelmed my system (not for the first time in that area if you recall) and I had to bail out of the game just to get the performance back to normal.

Much as I'd like to help out the Marines stuck on the Island, I'm going to flee to a quieter area and make my way back to Fremantle. I will await a future release that perhaps offers a better experience. Many planes might be realistic, but killing the performance of a damn fine machine takes all the fun out of the game. IMHO, of course!

I know you are looking at this, and I hope the above information is useful.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 09:54 PM   #1923
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.5.0.150
[G:\Ubisoft\Silent_Hunter_IV\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.24_EN
399_NoScrollNavMap
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
525_v1.004_Camera
801_UMark Invisible
901_strategic_map_symbols
999_DC_NBB_sil
1000_Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.1_EN
1001_FI_OQ_FOTRSU_v1.2_EN_compatibility
1002_OfficerCountryPatch

Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visability
Notated in orange above, both are the same modlet. You only need one or the other. I would also put the "Lite Fog v2" before the interior mods. There shouldn't be anything in it that would overwrite the interiors, but you never know. Also, does it change the behavior of the AI at all that you have noticed? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramike View Post
After deleting my save folder and reinstalling the latest Mod, interiors, and patch, I am having the same issue where saves won't load. I'm using no other mods...
If you are using the latest full version of the mod, that would be v1.24, and you do not need to patch it, if that is what you are doing, but if you are patching vickers03's interior, that you do have to do. Are you deleting the whole Save folder, from data on down? Once you delete the Save folder, do not start the game until after the mods are applied. Are you certain that the LAA applet has "taken" on the SH4.exe file? Open LAA again, and see if the SH4.exe is "True" now. If not, select the file in the File Manager (My Computer), right-click on it, and choose "Properties". On the first "General" tab of that next window, be sure the "Read-only" tick box is empty, then try LAA again. When playing the game, do not shell out to Windows for any reason... I can't think of anything else at the moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
I deleted everything, including the Data folder, in the ThisPC>Documents>FRS>Data directory in hopes only the Saves were corrupted and let the system recreate the Data file when I started the new career. So far, so good, I guess.

The Kuriles assignment was a pleasant surprise, even if we didn't find anything Japanese bigger than a corvette.
Most patrols to the Kuriles, even with the fleetboats, did not yield very much. Most of the skippers would start south toward Hokkaida to find traffic. In FotRSU, you would of course follow your orders, and then do the same, or else call in a Status Report and get another assignment, which may or may not be close to where you are...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-20, 12:30 AM   #1924
propbeanie

Alright, I am no longer very certain at all as to "backwards compatible", but in theory, this should be, and will update your game, whether v1.2 or higher, up to v1.26p. This is basically v1.24 with the 3x sil files "fixed", as well as some changes to Campaign files for a few issues in US_NavalBases, and quite a few of the _Jap_ files, for changes made to another ship. You should now see all of the Frigates and a few other ships in the Museum, which were missing previously.

Do not apply this mod in the middle of a patrol, but you should be OK in base, Saved & exited, then modded, and load the Save... maybe. I will attempt to get into testing Save files again, and see if I can figure anything out. I am slow though...

101_Patch_v1.2To_v1.26p.7z

Old 09-29-20, 10:06 AM   #1925
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Notated in orange above, both are the same modlet. You only need one or the other. I would also put the "Lite Fog v2" before the interior mods. There shouldn't be anything in it that would overwrite the interiors, but you never know. Also, does it change the behavior of the AI at all that you have noticed? Thanks.
Rearranged the mods per your suggestion. I had to remove the 525_v1.004_Camera mod . It is overwritten by the Fleetboat Interiors mod and probably conflicts with it. No biggie.

As for the Lite Fog mod affecting the AI, I seriously doubt it. I've been using it since the early days of FOTRSU and have never had it noticeably interfere with anything other that giving me a clearer picture of the surroundings, mainly underwater. I do believe it is strictly a minor environment mod, same as the UMark Invisible, I'm guessing.

I also notice that the Fleetboat Interior mod overwrites something in your patch. Is that going to be ok?

101_Patch_v1.2To_v1.26p
399_NoScrollNavMap
450_Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visability
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
801_UMark Invisible
999_DC_NBB_sil

Last edited by torpedobait; 09-29-20 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-29-20, 10:40 AM   #1926
propbeanie

The interior mod overwrites the newer Tracking Table items, such as the changes made to the Gato, to have the image of the NavMap actually take you to the NavMap and not the Attack Map, and a few of the other boats have added or re-arranged items for weather report, crew management, report nearest visual, etc. But that should be it. So when you enable vickers03's mod and patch last, you should see them overwriting the SubNames.upc files, and the SubNames.dat files, and then notices that the folders were already there also... You also no longer need the BB sil modlet, since it is in the v1.26p file (or should I say "should be"...)

Old 09-29-20, 01:23 PM   #1927
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59

Quote:
If you are using the latest full version of the mod, that would be v1.24, and you do not need to patch it, if that is what you are doing, but if you are patching vickers03's interior, that you do have to do. Are you deleting the whole Save folder, from data on down? Once you delete the Save folder, do not start the game until after the mods are applied. Are you certain that the LAA applet has "taken" on the SH4.exe file? Open LAA again, and see if the SH4.exe is "True" now. If not, select the file in the File Manager (My Computer), right-click on it, and choose "Properties". On the first "General" tab of that next window, be sure the "Read-only" tick box is empty, then try LAA again. When playing the game, do not shell out to Windows for any reason... I can't think of anything else at the moment...

Thanks, I'll definitely try. That said, like my previous issue, this safe problem only starts mid-patrol. It seems to load just fine then just sudden CTD.
Aramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-20, 02:33 PM   #1928
Navelintel
Mate

Downloads: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
Merchants Pack 01 has been updated on the Silhouetes thread with a fresh version of the NKSCS_Taihosan.

As I had suspected I had forgotten the funnel and two cables. These were some of the very first models I had done and was not yet up to speed on how the parts were named or hidden due to nesting.

If you would like to manually correct your own copy of the game until it is incorporated into the next FotRSU official patch or release, you may safely do the following...

1. Download and unpack the Merchants Pack 01 file : http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/sile...sMerchant01.7z

2. Copy just the file NKSCS_Taihisan_sil.dds from that folder and paste it into Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific \ Data \ Sea \ NKSCS_Taihosan overwriting the file that is already at that location.

3. Load your save and open the Recognition Manual. Check that the Japanese Composite Superstructure Freighter now has the correct funnel.

In my opinion it should be safe to overwrite the texture file during a playthrough.

Apologies for the mistake.
Hi Daniel,

Not a problem. Glad it was a simple fix and thanks for the directions so my XO can make the correction to the boat's RM.

Navelintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-20, 03:27 PM   #1929
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
The interior mod overwrites the newer Tracking Table items, such as the changes made to the Gato, to have the image of the NavMap actually take you to the NavMap and not the Attack Map, and a few of the other boats have added or re-arranged items for weather report, crew management, report nearest visual, etc. But that should be it. So when you enable vickers03's mod and patch last, you should see them overwriting the SubNames.upc files, and the SubNames.dat files, and then notices that the folders were already there also... You also no longer need the BB sil modlet, since it is in the v1.26p file (or should I say "should be"...)
Got it. Want to report that after applying the 1.26 patch I reloaded a save game taken after I rearmed at Noumea and before I reached Guadalcanal. With no other changes, I reached that island on 9/18 as before, and later that night encountered the same IJN force, consisting of six DDE Supply ships, 4 DDs, and 1 light Cruiser. Over the next 3 hours or so all went to the bottom, a first for me. There was only 1 plane evident (attacked me, of course) and NO wrecks on the mountain, and of course no flares.

I didn't stick around to see what would happen the next day. Out of torpedos, I made my way back to Fremantle. The changes might be due to the patch, or the vagaries of SH4. Who knows? I'm just glad to be past it.

I can reload the save after the stop at Noumea if you like and try it again. Revised Mod List:

101_Patch_v1.2To_v1.26p
399_NoScrollNavMap
450_Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visability
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
801_UMark Invisible

Old 09-29-20, 05:02 PM   #1930
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

When is the Tokyo Express supposed to happen exactly?

Been patrolling New Georgia Sound (aka "The Slot") all of August, 1942. It's now the 23rd. Haven't yet seen a single Japanese ship, aside from fishing boats and sampans.

Still playing 1.24.
Old 09-29-20, 05:35 PM   #1931
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post

Been patrolling New Georgia Sound (aka "The Slot") all of August, 1942. It's now the 23rd. Haven't yet seen a single Japanese ship, aside from fishing boats and sampans.

Still playing 1.24.
you do not want to see them!
the Express is a line of DD/DE doing 20+ knots heading from Rabaul to Guadalcanal.
i made the mistake of detecting a large TF and, thinking it had capital ships, waded in.
it was the Tokyo Express.
i lived to tell the tale but just barely.

stay away from those guys...unless you want to party with Davy Jones.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 09-30-20 at 02:58 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-20, 01:43 PM   #1932
Kresner
Swabbie

Downloads: 147

My pc is having problems but I have another old pc available, do I need to use Large Address Aware? Sorry I don't know much about software.

-Windows 8.1
- AMD A8-7650K Radeon R7, 10 compute cores 4C+6G 3.30 GHz
- RAM 4.00 GB (3.46 GB usable)
- Operating system 64 bits, processor x64
Kresner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-20, 02:57 PM   #1933
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresner View Post
My pc is having problems but I have another old pc available, do I need to use Large Address Aware? Sorry I don't know much about software.

-Windows 8.1
yes, definitely.

either LAA or its counterpart whose name i cannot remember at the moment. same function, different developer.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-20, 05:48 PM   #1934
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post

Still playing 1.24.
v1.24 might have an apparently slightly reduced ship level, because of the "Normal" AirBase used by the game at Guadalcanal, "reaching out and touching" the Tokyo Express... but they start in mid-October. You will see other groupings before that, but the 'regular' Tokyo Express isn't until October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresner View Post

-Windows 8.1
As KaleunMarco says, "Yes, you need to use an LAA app with FotRSU". Refer to CapnScurvy's thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install, or NTCore 4GB Patch. Even if you have 16gig of RAM, Windows will only give a "legacy" 32-bit DirectX v9 game less than 2gig of it to use. You apparently have 4 gig installed in your machine, and even though the system might say "3.46 GB usable", you need to apply an LAA to SH4.exe for it to be able to address that much RAM...

Old 10-01-20, 09:01 AM   #1935
Kresner
Swabbie

Downloads: 147

Thank you for your replies KaleunMarco and Propbeanie
Kresner is offline   Reply With Quote