Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-11, 01:59 PM   #1
redtyphoon
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Update to OpenSSN

I've just pushed the latest snapshot of OpenSSN, version 0.3, to the download mirrors. The new version (and updated README file) can be found at
http://openssn.sourceforge.net/download.php

Some highlights for this release include:
1. AI ships now turn sometimes, rather than just moving in a straight line.
2. A weapons console has been added. (Press F3 to access.) From here, torpedoes and noise makers can be loaded into tubes and fired at selected targets.
3. Torpedoes fired at ships will track and try to hit their targets. If a ship takes enough damage it will sink.
4. A new set of data files have been added in the "ships" folder. These contain data on specific types of ships and submarines. This way we don't have to hard code new ships into the game.

My plans for the next release include improved AI and some basic missions. Please post any comments/questions here and you can send me patches at jessefrgsmith@yahoo.ca.
redtyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 05:52 PM   #2
redtyphoon
Sailor man

Default SVN update

For those of you following the svn code repository, AI controlled ships and submarines now try to run away from torpedoes. This should make things a bit more challenging.

My next step is to add mission parameters.
Old 06-11-11, 02:25 PM   #3
redtyphoon
Sailor man

Default More OpenSSN news

Hi all,

I'm happy to report OpenSSN version 0.4 is available for download over at http://openssn.sf.net This new release was mainly focused on cleaning up code and making things more flexible in the background, but we do have some new stuff for players.

Torpedo sonar now works better and the ESM display has been fixed.
Ships that have sonar and other subs will run away from torpedoes fired at them.
The game should now compile properly on both Linux and FreeBSD. I haven't tried it on a Mac, but I think it should work there too.
We now have our first mission, which will begin as soon as the game loads. The mission is to find the one enemy submarine in your sector. Once the enemy is found, you should see a "mission accomplished" screen and the game will exit.

For the next release I hope to add a few more missions, a main menu screen so players can select missions, and give enemies the ability to shoot back.

If you are interested, the project can use your help. There are a few tasks that really need doing that don't require any coding experience. They are, in no particular order....

1. The website could use some art work. Anyone here with some photos of subs they can turn into banners? Can you draw a logo for OpenSSN? Any submissions are welcome.

2. We need a better "mission accomplished" screen, as well as a "mission failed" background, a "you were destroyed" screen and a main menu background.

3. Can you translate the manual to another language? That would be really helpful.

4. The game has new ship files which allow us to easily add new ships/subs to the game. In the "ships" folder there's an information file which lists the values needed to create a new ship for the game. We could use some new subs, destroyers, cruisers, etc.

That about covers it for now. Please send bug reports, artwork and suggestions to me either here on the forum or at jessefrgsmith@yahoo.ca

Keep your baffles clear.
Old 06-26-11, 08:36 AM   #4
redtyphoon
Sailor man

New version released

Captains,

OpenSSN has just released a new version. Version 0.5 now features two combat missions, the torpedoes work a little better and all known bugs have been fixed. The sonar display has been improved and now shows different types of contacts in colour (green for surface ships, blue for submarines and red for torpedoes). Some minor improvements have been made to the enemy AI.

And I'm happy to report OpenSSN has been accepted into FreeBSD. Hopefully Linux distros will pick up the game soon. I've been talking with some Debian devs and things look promising there.

Things are coming together nicely and I could use some help for the next release. I'm planning to add more missions and types of ships/subs for 0.6 and I'd like suggestions. If you have a favourite sub, let me know (with a link to that sub's wikipedia page, if possible). Or, if you have ideas for missions, send those in too.

For the next release I'm also hoping to include active sonar and improved AI for enemy ships.

Stay deep.
Old 07-06-11, 07:48 AM   #5
redtyphoon
Sailor man

Default New update to OpenSSN -- 0.6

Welcome aboard, Captains.

I've just released a new version of OpenSSN. This release is mostly bug fixes to avoid crashes and some work has been done to the make/build process so the game should compile properly on more operating systems.

Some minor improvements have been made to game play. Noisemakers now work properly and torpedoes may be distracted by them. Ships traveling in
convoy now keep formation. They usually travel in a straight line and turn
in formation. A new mission has been added, which puts the player up against a convoy of merchant ships and enemy destroyers.

On my immediate to-do list are:
Sounds (sonar, torpedo launches, etc)
Active sonar
Improvements to torpedoes and AI behaviour.

I'm hoping these can be introduced in the next version. Originally OpenSSN was designed to run on Linux and FreeBSD. However, the new changes to the make system should allow the game to be built on OS X and Windows. If anyone wants to give that a try and let me know how it goes, I'm open to feedback.

Fire one!
Old 07-18-11, 11:37 AM   #6
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

You are going fast! Great!

I've not forget my offering of translating the manual, is almost done. It's just I have very little time in front of a computer lately.
I'm downloading 0.6 version right now.
I will start my holidays in a few days and I can finish the job.
Old 07-20-11, 09:08 AM   #7
redtyphoon
Sailor man

Default Translation

That's great. Whenever you have time, please send the translated manual over.