SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-09, 09:25 PM   #46
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS
Ok, thanks. But how can I find/ see the center or the radius on the map afterwards (eg in order to check them or to remember their exact position a few days later)?
Is there a way you can tweak your settings in this forum so your quoted text isn't in white? I can't see it very well at all because I've got a very light background color, so I have to highlight it like the spoiler posts in the Fallout 3 forum .

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm afraid there's no graphical representation of patrol areas on the campaign map. I've mentioned this several times but I guess it will take customer complaints to make it happen. Thus, go to the bug report server and send in a SUGGESTION-type message to this effect.

For the time being, about the best you can do is hit F3 to bring up the shipping lanes map overlay. This highlights map hexes and odds are some will be near where you want to patrol, so you can guage distance from them. Also, beside the cursor you can see the map coordinates for a given hex. So. you can move the mouse around the map and note the coordinates in the patrol area, which will help you determine the radius you want.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 05:08 AM   #47
HS
Bosun

Downloads: 20

Ok, thank you for your latest answers, bullethead. Sorry for causing inconvenience with my settings in this forum, but when changing to a dark text colour I can't read my own sentences. Anyway, here are my (hopefully last) 3 questions, two of them concerning bombard missions in a campaign. Up to now I’ve been unable to complete a bombard missions since my fleet always got intercepted before and the rest of my ships was homeward bound afterwards. Is there anything I can do avoid meeting interception forces at an early stage or to make it more unlikely to meet them? And secondly: What happens during such a mission? Will a bombarding scenario be created or will the mission goal be achieved automatically in the campaign modus unless any naval battles take place before?

Finally the division turn by succession. Up to now it works for me only by selecting the relevant division leaders, which means that for a whole fleet I have to change course with turn by succession division by division, one after the other (I usually do that by pausing the game). Is there any simple possibility to use a division turn by succession for all divisions of the fleet with one command?

Thank you.
HS
HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 10:42 AM   #48
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS
Sorry for causing inconvenience with my settings in this forum, but when changing to a dark text colour I can't read my own sentences.

Must be a bug in the forum software. Every other forum I've been in, your own settings down affect anybody else. IOW, if you have white text on a dark backgound and I have black text on a light background, your messages should still show up on my end as black on light. Strange.

It's not that big a deal, though. When I see a huge blank post from you like this one, I just highlight it like a spoiler and can see it. When I reply, I set the text color to black in the quoted parts and I'm fine. What's it look like on your end after I change your quotes to black on me end?

Quote:
to now I’ve been unable to complete a bombard missions since my fleet always got intercepted before and the rest of my ships was homeward bound afterwards. Is there anything I can do avoid meeting interception forces at an early stage or to make it more unlikely to meet them?

Well, after the battle, if your bombardment TF has changed its orders to return home, you should be able to give them new orders to bombard again.

As for meeting the enemy, that's pretty much to be expected. Both sides have a lot of patrol boats out to give early warning, and some areas like the upper Channel have fairly strong patrols of real warships. All these things are there to give early warning, disrupt your plans, etc. If you want to minimize contact, therefore, try picking targets where patrols might be expected to be thinner, or spend some time trying to thin out the opposition.

Quote:
And secondly: What happens during such a mission? Will a bombarding scenario be created or will the mission goal be achieved automatically in the campaign modus unless any naval battles take place before?

Bombardments only happen on the campaign map; there's no tactical battle for them. Battles only happen if both sides have surface ships.

Quote:
Finally the division turn by succession. Up to now it works for me only by selecting the relevant division leaders, which means that for a whole fleet I have to change course with turn by succession division by division, one after the other (I usually do that by pausing the game). Is there any simple possibility to use a division turn by succession for all divisions of the fleet with one command?

You can reduce your workload with the "guide on other division" command. You can make long chains of divisions this way (like the GF's battle line). Then all you have to do is give the order to the 1st division and all the others in the line will turn in succession when they reach the point the 1st division turned.

There are 2 ways to give the "guide on other division" order. First, in the TF Org screen where you set up your TF formation, if you put 1 division directly behind another, it will automatically be on "guide on other division" to the division ahead when a battle starts. You can also give this command during battles by selecting the division you want to be the follower, putting the cursor over any ship in the division you want to be the leader, and right-clicking. This enables the "guide on other division" order button, which you then click on.

NOTE: Once you have a division guiding on another, you have to tell it to "guide independently" to break the chain.

But to turn a whole TF, you still need to give separate orders to every division not guiding on another. The reason for that is because in most cases, rotating a whole TF while maintaining the original formation can't just be done by 1 simple turn order for every division. To maintain the formation, most divisions will have to change speed at least twice, those on the outside of the turn will have to turn on a bigger radius using several waypoints, etc. And even if you don't mind the formation getting skewed, many times telling each division to make the same turn simultaneously will result in divisions trying to drive through each other, leading to much chaos if not collisions.
Old 03-02-09, 12:05 PM   #49
HS
Bosun

While I continue to play Jutland this game (together with SH III) appears to be the most attractive naval game since the days of GNBNA from my point of view. Some more questions:

Is there a compact list or sheet somewhere in the campaign and in the battle modus which indicates the status of all available ships and the lost ships by class and name? I think I have seen this somewhere (together with small ship graphics) but I can’t remember where. What about information on enemy losses?

Is it yet possible to save the display settings for future launchings of the game? It’s a bit disturbing to start every session with the same old display fine tuning.

Thanks
HS
Old 03-02-09, 04:58 PM   #50
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS
Is there a compact list or sheet somewhere in the campaign and in the battle modus which indicates the status of all available ships and the lost ships by class and name?

Hit SHF-O to bring up the OOB overlay on the campaign map. It shows all your task forces, which you can expand to show their divisions, which you can expand to show their ships, which you can expand to show how many of which types of weapons they have left, as well as ammo. Any level that shows ship names shows a colored dot for the ship's status.

Losses, both friendly and enemy, however, you still have to write down yourself. Hopefully this will change in the future.

Quote:
Is it yet possible to save the display settings for future launchings of the game? It’s a bit disturbing to start every session with the same old display fine tuning.

Sure. This has been possible since Jutland 1st came out.

The main Dislay Options (AA, AF, screen resolution, etc.) automatically save provided you exit the game from within the game. If you're running in a window and close the window, they don't save. Also, if the game crashes, they don't save.

These settings are saved in the DG.cfg file in the main Jutland folder. If you're ending the game from the "Exit Game" button within the game and these settings aren't saving, then you've probably got a "read-only" setting on the Jutland folder or something similar.

All the lighting, wave height, etc. options in the other display menus can be saved directly from those menus. Just type in a name for them. These are saved as (the name you gave it).ADO files, again the main Jutland folder.

However, the current settings of these sliders also go into the DG.cfg folder, so you don't have save the settings to a separate file if you don't want to. IOW, the game remembers what all the sliders are set at, but if the main options above aren't being remembered, then you've got some other problem as indicated above.

You might have noticed the "presets" options? Those are just ADO files in the main folder. Your own ADO files aren't added to the preset list, but can be loaded off the same menus where you can save them. I have separate files for day and night battles, which I load during the campaign depending on when battles happen.
Old 03-02-09, 07:24 PM   #51
TheSamuraiJedi
Seaman

Maybe its just me..but why does the icon on the water show an Imperial Japanese Navy flag?
TheSamuraiJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 10:55 PM   #52
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSamuraiJedi
Maybe its just me..but why does the icon on the water show an Imperial Japanese Navy flag?
Which icon on the water? In the strategic map or during a tactical battle? A screenshot might help .

Apart from the flag icons used for task forces on the campaign map, I can't think of any reason why there'd be a flag drawn on the water. In the tactical battles, there are port and base icons, minefields, etc., drawn on the water, but not flags.

Either way, you're seeing the wrong texture, which is usually a sign of your hardware biting off more than it can chew. If your box is a few years old, that might be the problem. OTOH, Jutland did grow out of the RJW game, so did in fact start with some IJN and IRN flags here and there. It's been at least a year since I saw any, but that doesn't mean there aren't still a few buried deep in the guts and you've managed to find one. Thus, a bit more info would help .
Old 03-03-09, 02:30 AM   #53
HS
Bosun

"... which you can expand to show their divisions, which you can expand to show their ships ..."

How?

"If you're running in a window and close the window, they don't save."

Unfortunately my game freezes to a black screen every time I try changing from a window to 1024x768.

HS
Old 03-03-09, 12:19 PM   #54
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS
"... which you can expand to show their divisions, which you can expand to show their ships ..."

How?

It's like in Windows Explorer. Beside each TF name is a +. Click on that it and shows divisions, which also have +s by their names. Click on those and you see the ships in the divisions, which again have +s. Click on a ship's + and you'll see its current status for weapons.

Quote:
"If you're running in a window and close the window, they don't save."
Quote:

Unfortunately my game freezes to a black screen every time I try changing from a window to 1024x768
Sometimes when people have problems like this, something's gone wrong with their DG.cfg file. If that's what's happened to you, there's an easy way to solve it.

Go into your main Jutland folder and rename the file DG.cfg to something else. Then start the game. This forces the game to generate a new DG.cfg file with all the default settings, including full-screen 1024x768. Once the game comes up, just exit it immediately to save the new DG.cfg file. Then restart the game and put all the display and sound options where you want them, load any ADO files you like, etc., and exit again to save all that into the DG.cfg file. After that, you should be OK.

If this doesn't work, please send us a bug report and include the DG.cfg file as well as whatever log files you want to include.
Old 03-03-09, 03:12 PM   #55
HS
Bosun

Thank you!
Old 03-03-09, 03:17 PM   #56
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS
Thank you!
I take it the DG.cfg thing solved your problem?
Old 03-03-09, 03:24 PM   #57
HS
Bosun

This seems to be the key to my problem but there is no dg.cfg file in the main folder.
Old 03-03-09, 03:32 PM   #58
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS
This seems to be the key to my problem but there is no dg.cfg file in the main folder.
Hmmm....

It should be in your \Storm Eagle Studios\Jutland folder. There should always be one there, because if there isn't one to start with, the game creates one, and it always saves this file afresh when you exit. IOW, if you sort that folder by date modified, it'll be up near the top with the log files.

If you really don't have this file at all, do 2 things. First, PM me with your email address and I'll send you mine. 2nd, submit a bug report on our bug server. Then, after you try mine, if that solves your problem, go back to the bug server and amend your ticket with that info.
Old 03-04-09, 07:06 PM   #59
TheSamuraiJedi
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullethead
Quote:
Which icon on the water? In the strategic map or during a tactical battle? A screenshot might help .

Apart from the flag icons used for task forces on the campaign map, I can't think of any reason why there'd be a flag drawn on the water. In the tactical battles, there are port and base icons, minefields, etc., drawn on the water, but not flags.

Either way, you're seeing the wrong texture, which is usually a sign of your hardware biting off more than it can chew. If your box is a few years old, that might be the problem. OTOH, Jutland did grow out of the RJW game, so did in fact start with some IJN and IRN flags here and there. It's been at least a year since I saw any, but that doesn't mean there aren't still a few buried deep in the guts and you've managed to find one. Thus, a bit more info would help .
No problem!

Auto-updated with no mods or messing with the game, build is the current version and my box is only two years old.
TheSamuraiJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 10:06 AM   #60
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Auto-updated with no mods or messing with the game, build is the current version and my box is only two years old.
Thanks for the pic. That's definitely a new one for me. I take it you drew both the black and the white ovals? You'd best send this pic in along with a log and descrition of the problem to our bug server.

Question: would that flag happen to be at a waypoint for the ship's course? I've noticed a minor bug myself lately where sometimes you see little gray crosshair icons at waypoints. I'm guessing maybe your getting the flag texture for some reason instead of the crosshair (which you shouldn't be seeing anyway).

Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience.