Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-20, 04:17 PM   #16
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
They actually traced this outbreak virus to a lady that ate a snake purchased at the local market in this area now quarantined.

On you tube is another video of a lady eating a bat ... how dumb is that

https://in.news.yahoo.com/snakes-mig...095553642.html

Snakes might be the source of coronavirus outbreak in China, says new study

Yeah, this seems to always happen in China and Africa. They need to build more Whataburgers there.

For me, the crazy thing about this latest virus - it spreads human to human, it has a 14 day incubation period, and even though they are locking down Wuhan and a couple other cities, they seem to be about 14 days behind. People who were in Wuhan two weeks ago, they have it but they may not be showing symptoms, yet they are spreading it. News was saying they expect millions of Chinese to travel abroad this weekend for the New year, seriously? Don't people think it may be a good idea to change plans? I tell you, one day there will be a virus like this, and it will mutate to a strand with a really bad fatality rate, and it will be unstoppable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
If it reaches Germany and they lock down my city as well, I could hold out from cold start for 2-3 months, including drinking water, toilet and washing water, food, medicine, energy, warmth, cooking heat of various sorts.

Boy scout picnic in my flat.

A
People spend so much money for insurrances: for their car, their family, their house, their camping trailer, their health, property, flat, bicylce, their this, their that - and if fate does not strike them, they will never get anything of it back,those thousands and thousands of coins you paid over the years are lost forever. . Now do the math of how much money this costs you! And then you tell the world that you cannot afford to spend a few hundred, maybe 1-2 thousand dollars for the direct safety and supply of your family with the goods of important needs of everyday life - by buying and stockpiling them a bit, so that you can keep them and they are yours for all time to come? I do not believe you! 2 thousand dollars - the costs of one holiday trip with all the family. That is not worth it, in your opinion?

Think again.
Yeah, I agree, a little prepping is not a bad thing. Right now I am in between houses, so I am pretty vulnerable. Hopefully my new house will be built and ready by July. Right now I could hold out 2 weeks max.

As for MREs vs storing general canned food, the can stuff will last 2 years pretty easily. Any disaster that lasts more than two years is something I don't have a plan for, other than Mad Maxxing it 24/7. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

One strategy I thought of, have a "help a neighbor pantry/stash, aka public supplies, that you can give out, but keep your main supplies hidden, as in buried or behind a brick wall. That way when a neighbor comes for help, you can help, but he "sees" your limited supply and maybe will think you are just like him. As they see your supplies dwindle, they won't direct all their attention to you. Then when you empty your public supplies, you just need to stick to a strict ration and lose weight like everyone else, until they are too weak to attack you, then hold out with your regular diet. Cold-hearted, I know. But it's the age old dilemma, people/friends/relatives will mock a prepper until the SHTF, then they will plead for your kind-hearted help, and then attack you if they need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Well, just so we're clear, I'm not advocating cannibalism.
If you're packing heat and ammo, and you have the energy to slaughter the townsfolk, there's only one other thing to make sure you have. A stew pot and the means to light a fire under it.

Of course, if its just a disaster and not the end of civilization, its going to be embarrassing (to say the least) when the cops and the Army show up and you're standing there. Next to piles of clothes, shoes, and polished bones
Post of the Year candidate!
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 04:23 PM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Don't people think it may be a good idea to change plans?
Would you cancel thanksgiving and christmas this year if somebody suggests that this is a good idea?
Old 01-23-20, 04:25 PM   #18
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Uh, not dying is a great idea

As I am reading this, a lady sitting nearby is coughing her head off.

Old 01-23-20, 04:34 PM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
As for MREs vs storing general canned food, the can stuff will last 2 years pretty easily.
If the cans are intact and the walls made of good material, you must not worry at all. The dates printed on them are exclusively for legal reasons. Practically, a can can hold for decades, and that is no exaggeration. I currently have some cans on the ready shelf in my kitchen that contain pea soup from Aldi, 12-15 years old. They taste as if bought yesterday. They are absolutely, totally fine. The colour of the peas has faded a very little bit, that is all.

Also, I rotate them through, slowly, old ones in the front get occasionally eaten, new ones get resupplied and stored in the back of the shelf. That way you also learn which cans taste good and which one you do not wnat to buy again. Mostkly, I avoid supermarket cans. They are cheaper. And usually you taste why.

So again, the date stamps are a legal obligation only, two years is a maximum that must be stamped on food in germany and probably in the US as well. Its a formality, it has nothing to do with the real longevity of the contained food as long as the can's sealing is intact. As I said, in some Asian countries they have no dates on cans anymore at all - because it is practically pointless and misleading. It does not matter if they sell the can immediately or five yera slater, andn whether the customer eats it immediately or stores it another five years. There is no health risk, if the can was well-manufactured and used good material.

I do not mean to sell Sorströmming to you!

Last edited by Skybird; 01-23-20 at 04:46 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 04:36 PM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Sure, but the Us population is bigger than just 1, or not? Or has Corona already gotten all the rest?

Wait - you are not telling me you have become the Omega Man, no?!
Old 01-23-20, 05:12 PM   #21
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

There's one thing you haven't taken into consideration

How will(a huge percentage of) people survive without their daily dosis FB. ?

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 05:35 PM   #22
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Quote:

As I am reading this, a lady sitting nearby is coughing her head off.
C'mon out to Iowa.
I have NO idea why, but its considered normal to go outside when its below freezing in a tee shirt, shorts, and flip flops.

Like I said, I'm against cannibalism but maybe I'm not so against whaling on a dude with a 2 X 4 who has no ####ing clue.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 05:50 PM   #23
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
There's one thing you haven't taken into consideration

How will(a huge percentage of) people survive without their daily dosis FB. ?

Markus
That's funny Markus

What about Starbucks?

I know a lady that spends over $300 a month at Starbucks and she only works Mon thru Friday
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 06:08 PM   #24
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
That's funny Markus

What about Starbucks?

I know a lady that spends over $300 a month at Starbucks and she only works Mon thru Friday
What we are talking about here is preparing for the unthinkable within the physiological and not the psychological.
I don't think we can be prepared psychologically..we will be forced to if the unthinkable should happen.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 09:24 PM   #25
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

It's here
Texas A&M student suspected of having coronavirus, state health officials investigating

Quote:
Brazos County’s health department is investigating a suspected case of the the mystery pneumonia-like virus that has claimed 18 lives in China and was confirmed in the U.S. for the first time earlier this week.

The department said in a tweet that the patient had traveled from Wuhan, China, the district where the so-called 2019 novel coronavirus originated.

The case would be the first for the state of Texas. Roughly 90 miles outside of Houston, Brazos County is home to the cities of Bryan and College Station, where Texas A&M University is located.

Another departmental tweet said health-care providers in the area were aware of public health guidance about the virus and quickly recognized the patient met the criteria for testing. The patient, a Texas A&M student, is being kept isolated at home.
Meanwhile, all the people she has been around the last 10 days, in school, at the airport, grocery store, etc. are off and about to spread their own spores.

Next time you go to Olive garden and you reach for the Parmesan cheese shaker, consider how many other hands have been on that thing.

When you go to the grocery store and grab a cart... how many unwashed hands have been on that handle.

Ominous.
Old 01-23-20, 09:41 PM   #26
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Isn't the coronavirus the same virus responsible for the common cold?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-20, 06:00 AM   #27
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

If this has the ability to surpass all the previous virus we could be in big trouble.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-20, 07:55 AM   #28
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/24/china...hnk/index.html

Quote:

The virus, which was first discovered in the city of Wuhan in December, has spread to every province in China, except the remote autonomous regions of Qinghai, Inner Mongolia and Tibet, with the number of infections rising to 846 worldwide.
As of Friday, the virus had claimed the lives of at least 26 people in mainland China, including a 36-year-old man not listed as having any pre-existing conditions.
So, that's around a 3% fatality rate, although I have read in several reports they say it is 17%... not sure who is doing the math there...

Quote:
People spoke of sick family members turned away from hospitals due to a lack of beds, or wards packed with feverish patients and limited screening or quarantine.

Video from Chinese social media appears to show hospitals in the city totally overwhelmed. In one video, a hospital corridor appears to be flooded with patients waiting for test results. In another, medical workers tend patient wearing full protective suits. CNN has not been able to independently verify the videos.
Hmmm... in the clip above from the same report, they say 846 people have been infected worldwide, yet the hospitals are being overrun in Wuhan?

Quote:
It initially appeared to spread only by very close contact that would typically occur within a family -- such as hugging, kissing, or sharing eating utensils -- but now evidence is accruing that shows more distant contact could spread the virus, such as if a sick person were to sneeze or cough near someone else's face.

Heymann said there is no evidence at this point that the virus is airborne and could be spread across a room, as happens with the flu or measles.
Lol, initially
Old 01-24-20, 09:55 AM   #29
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

What was the last big scare out of CHINA?

It was bad reporting early on and claimed 8,000 people by the time it was over

SARS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli..._SARS_outbreak

Quote:
On 16 November 2002, an outbreak of the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) began in China's Guangdong province, which borders Hong Kong. A farmer in the Shunde district of Foshan County was likely the first case of infection. The People's Republic of China notified the World Health Organization (WHO) about this outbreak on 10 February 2003, reporting 305 cases including 105 health-care workers and five deaths; Later, it was reported that the outbreak in Guangdong had peaked in mid-February 2003. But this appears to have been false, as subsequently 806 cases of infections and 34 cases of deaths were reported.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-20, 10:58 AM   #30
Skybird
Soaring

You have to give it to the corona virus - it has overwhelmed China's infamous and omnipresent face recognition technology regime. Peace Nobel Prize!

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan