SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-21, 07:12 AM   #1
KarlFranz1870
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default GWX 3 crash

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum and I want to thank you already for reading this.

Last year I tried multiple times to play SH3 with GWX3 but it would crash a lot during savegame loading, and mid-game career, and loading single missions.
After some research I noticed that I needed the 4GB mod, but I also apparently need some game updates for it, and now I'm very disoriented on what to do, because there's a lot.
I have the Ubisoft version of the game, not the steam one.
If someone was so kind to actually tell me step by step what to do I will appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by KarlFranz1870; 02-18-21 at 07:14 AM. Reason: posted it without finishing
KarlFranz1870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 08:10 AM   #2
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Hello KarlFranz1870,

Welcome to Subsim, and here you will find many passionate and enthusiastic members with useful advice to get your game working the way you'd like it. I have some basic suggestions based on your initial comments:

1. Ensure you have your version of Silent Hunter 3 updated to version 1.4b. This is usually guaranteed straight from Ubisoft unless you have a DVD copy going back to 2005, which is easy to take care of also. If that's the case then please say.

2. Ensure that you have installed Silent Hunter 3 to another directory outside of Program Files (x86). This causes big problems with the game.

3. Been a while since I installed GWX but if you have to install it again I'd say follow the instructions and do a restart after installation.

4. The 4GB patch is extremely useful in providing better stability. Here's a simple one you can download and simply apply to the SH3.exe:

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

You may have to provide permissions such as unchecking read only in properties of SH3.exe.

5. As for crashes during loading saves, it's still kind of an unknown thing, and varies case to case. Depending on your operating system, a lot of users have found running compatibility settings and ticking 'run as administrator' on the SH3.exe to be very helpful. Common settings include using Windows XP Service Pack 2 if using Windows 7, or Windows 7 compatibility mode if using Windows 10.

Hope this helps some, and please ask more questions if needed to help in getting your game running properly. SH3 is awesome!
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 08:31 AM   #3
KarlFranz1870
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stork100 View Post
Hello KarlFranz1870,

Welcome to Subsim, and here you will find many passionate and enthusiastic members with useful advice to get your game working the way you'd like it. I have some basic suggestions based on your initial comments:

1. Ensure you have your version of Silent Hunter 3 updated to version 1.4b. This is usually guaranteed straight from Ubisoft unless you have a DVD copy going back to 2005, which is easy to take care of also. If that's the case then please say.

2. Ensure that you have installed Silent Hunter 3 to another directory outside of Program Files (x86). This causes big problems with the game.

3. Been a while since I installed GWX but if you have to install it again I'd say follow the instructions and do a restart after installation.

4. The 4GB patch is extremely useful in providing better stability. Here's a simple one you can download and simply apply to the SH3.exe:

You may have to provide permissions such as unchecking read only in properties of SH3.exe.

5. As for crashes during loading saves, it's still kind of an unknown thing, and varies case to case. Depending on your operating system, a lot of users have found running compatibility settings and ticking 'run as administrator' on the SH3.exe to be very helpful. Common settings include using Windows XP Service Pack 2 if using Windows 7, or Windows 7 compatibility mode if using Windows 10.

Hope this helps some, and please ask more questions if needed to help in getting your game running properly. SH3 is awesome!
Hi again,

as for the game version, I looked into the "readme" and it says version 1.4 so I guess it's fine.

The game is installed inside E:\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 3
so outside of Programs(x86)

I will now install GWX and tell you if I have any problem ^^

Old 02-18-21, 09:06 AM   #4
KarlFranz1870
Swabbie

Quote:
Hello KarlFranz1870,

Now I also have installed the 4GB mod, zero problems so far, this evening I'm going to try a campaign and see if everything works alright,
oh and another thing I forgot to ask

I would like to play the mod in 1920x1080, I remember there was a mod for that but didn't work, could you perhaps help me on that? Thanks ^^
Old 02-18-21, 09:51 AM   #5
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

These are also a huge help in avoiding this problem.
Old 02-18-21, 10:24 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

KarlFranz1870!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 11:01 AM   #7
KarlFranz1870
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
These are also a huge help in avoiding this problem.
Hi, isn't this fix only for the original GWX and not GWX 3.0?
it says:

"ATTENTION: This mod is based on the original GWX RND file. For the SRC file I have used the one from the 'St Naz and Schluese V3' mod without additional units:"

Also, do I always have to activate another "traffic zone" when I enter a new area? for example I want traffic in the med--> I have to activate it, us coast --> activate another.
It's a bit clunky for me and it would ruin a bit of RP.
Old 02-18-21, 11:03 AM   #8
KarlFranz1870
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
KarlFranz1870!

Thanks!
Old 02-18-21, 11:45 AM   #9
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlFranz1870 View Post
Hi, isn't this fix only for the original GWX and not GWX 3.0?
it says:

"ATTENTION: This mod is based on the original GWX RND file. For the SRC file I have used the one from the 'St Naz and Schluese V3' mod without additional units:"

Also, do I always have to activate another "traffic zone" when I enter a new area? for example I want traffic in the med--> I have to activate it, us coast --> activate another.
It's a bit clunky for me and it would ruin a bit of RP.
It's based off of 3.0. By original, he means that one. In terms of other zones, simply activate the relevant file where you plan to go before starting the patrol/career.
If you mean something like having i.e., only the North Atlantic file enabled but mid-patrol you decide to go elsewhere I imagine you could go there but there would't be any traffic there of course.
Old 02-18-21, 11:54 AM   #10
KarlFranz1870
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
It's based off of 3.0. By original, he means that one. In terms of other zones, simply activate the relevant file where you plan to go before starting the patrol/career.
If you mean something like having i.e., only the North Atlantic file enabled but mid-patrol you decide to go elsewhere I imagine you could go there but there would't be any traffic there of course.
Thanks for the quick response! now that I think about it, it's a good feature, I'm not interested in travelling to south america or south africa or Us coast anyway most games...

I figured out how to install it, thanks a lot!
Old 02-18-21, 11:55 AM   #11
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response! now that I think about it, it's a good feature, I'm not interested in travelling to south america or south africa or Us coast anyway most games...

I figured out how to install it, thanks a lot!
I'm the same; only interested in the North Atlantic so why bother loading all the rest ?
Old 02-18-21, 08:37 PM   #12
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Quote:
I would like to play the mod in 1920x1080, I remember there was a mod for that but didn't work, could you perhaps help me on that? Thanks
Here are two currently popular and similar mods working well with GWX:

DGUI 1920x1080 for GWX and Stock SH3
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=247186

ARB WideGui 1920x1080
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=232178

Both require some attention to detail to get installed properly, but I believe the former now includes a fully patched file for greater simplicity for new users. Follow all installation notes and instructions carefully, and you should find most trouble shooting info covered in the relevant discussion threads. As always, feel free to ask for assistance.

stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 06:05 AM   #13
KarlFranz1870
Swabbie

Quote:
Here are two currently popular and similar mods working well with GWX:

DGUI 1920x1080 for GWX and Stock SH3
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=247186

ARB WideGui 1920x1080
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=232178

Both require some attention to detail to get installed properly, but I believe the former now includes a fully patched file for greater simplicity for new users. Follow all installation notes and instructions carefully, and you should find most trouble shooting info covered in the relevant discussion threads. As always, feel free to ask for assistance.

Thanks! I installed the first one and it works! I'm going to try multiple times if the game crashes but, yesterday I played two missions and it seems to be working just fine

Thank you for the help und Frohe Jagd ^^

Last edited by KarlFranz1870; 02-19-21 at 06:06 AM. Reason: capital letter missing lol
Old 02-19-21, 06:15 AM   #14
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Thanks! I installed the first one and it works! I'm going to try multiple times if the game crashes but, yesterday I played two missions and it seems to be working just fine

Thank you for the help und Frohe Jagd ^^
Yes, first one (DGUI) is the most stable 1920x1080 Gui for the ones who have unstable games.
Just because he is lighter than other ones, hence use less memory.
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 12:50 PM   #15
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum and I want to thank you already for reading this.

Last year I tried multiple times to play SH3 with GWX3 but it would crash a lot during savegame loading, and mid-game career, and loading single missions.
After some research I noticed that I needed the 4GB mod, but I also apparently need some game updates for it, and now I'm very disoriented on what to do, because there's a lot.
I have the Ubisoft version of the game, not the steam one.
If someone was so kind to actually tell me step by step what to do I will appreciate it.
Thanks in advance
I had the problem of crashing savegames, 4gb patch didn't seem to make any difference, what fixed it for me was running SH3.exe in compatability mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2), Windows Vista works too.

Run it in compatibility mode by right clicking on SH3.exe, go into properties and click the "compatibility" tab, here there is a drop box where you can select the version of windows to run it in compatability mode with.

I haven't had a loading save crash since.
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, crash career, gwx 3.0, sh3