SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-20, 11:57 PM   #1
Talvezny1
Swabbie

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0
Default FOTRS new install problem

Hi everyone. Special thanks and acknowledgements to all the folks who have brought us all these mods! I have a question that probably has an answer somewhere but I be danged if I can find it. I have installed Berbsters mod on my Steam download and it worked great after moving the file folders like instructed! Decided I wanted to try FOTRS and I have had fits getting it installed correctly. I have done all of the following, fresh game install, uninstall steam, reinstall steam, changed download library to C:Games\Steam, installed sh4 and sh4 Uboat to that directory. Tried using SH4CMS and it worked but steam would not recognize that separate folder so I ended up deleting it all out and reinstalled the game into the C:GAmes\Steam folder. So far so good so I installed FOTRS and activated, OK good. started it up and it is in a 1024x768 resolution window. OK, fine, I'll fix it once it loads up. NOW, lets adjust the resolution: whenever I hit options and graphics it will freeze then the program quits after 5 min. I tried going into the cfg file and changing the resolution to the 1920x1080 that is my native display but it is still windowed and I cannot adjust graphics without it freezing. In addition, I can start a subschool game but it remains paused and I can't adjust the time suppression, unpause, or do anything with the mouse or keyboard. Please, anybody got an idea? This old sailor needs to get back out to sea! I have read about compatibility tweaks or changing DPI scaling in the .exe files properties but everything worked with Berbsters mod.
Thanks in advance.
Talvezny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 12:54 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Talvezny1! perhaps a PM to Theberbster for extra guidance wiil do the job...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-17-20 at 01:26 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 02:03 AM   #3
Talvezny1
Swabbie

Thanks Aktungbby! I'll try that. I just figured that my problem was probably an error on my part that had probably come up before. Although, try as I may, I can't find anything on this site or the internet.
-Few more details-
I have installed the DirectX optional pack that was supposed to add additional Direct X goodies that came with older versions. I also updated the drivers on my video card, although they worked before on the vanilla version and the Berbster mod.
Old 02-17-20, 02:07 AM   #4
Talvezny1
Swabbie

And I forgot to mention that it is the FOTRSU v1.0.1.g
Old 02-17-20, 06:56 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvezny1 View Post
And I forgot to mention that it is the FOTRSU v1.0.1.g
Probably the most common issue players have neglected when activating FotRSU is to fail to empty their Save game folder. This is generally found at "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4". The only time it would be a different folder is if you have used MultiSH4 to name it something else. So navigate into that folder, and delete either the whole thing, the "data" below that, or the "cfg" folder below that. It all accomplishes the same thing.

What happens is when you play the Stock game, it writes quite a bit of the game's data from your install folder to that Save folder. You play the game more, it writes more. THEBERBSTER's version of Webster's GFO mod (which is very good, btw), is built mostly on Stock files, so you probably would not have noticed too much difference, but FotRSU uses different "calls" to the ships and planes used in the game, and that is where the problem comes in. For whatever reason, when you use a different configuration of the game (GFO versus FotRSU), the changes the mod would make are not written to the Save folder, if there is already a file by that name there already, so you end with a mix of GFO and FotRSU, which the SH4.exe and its associated files cannot run. The pieces will not mix together. When you empty the Save folder, the game will re-create it with the data from the game's install folder, and then be able to run correctly.

So, you have:
1. Fresh install of the game outside of a "Program Files" folder.
2. Move the mod zip file into your MODS folder and extract the files there.
3. Activate the mod using JSGME.
4. Use LAA from the "Extras" folder in the mod (FotRSU) to "open" the bits on "SH4.exe"
5. Navigate to "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" and delete the "data" folder below.
6. Start the game and change all of the Options to what you want.
7. Play the game - don't forget that the Career Options are accessed in the US Captain's Office from that radio console to the left in the view.
In theory, you should be good to go. #4 above is probably the 2nd most common piece overlooked. There are pdf files in the mod's "Support" folder that have all sorts of varying amounts of detail of the above. If you are good at manipulating an Adobe Reader menu, there is "01_FotRSU_TableOfContents.pdf" that can be opened and used to access most of those pdf files. The trick to that comes from the way you configure your pdf Reader app.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 06:30 PM   #6
Talvezny1
Swabbie

Default Solved

Thanks for the responses. I was messing around this morning and I realized that Bit Defender was blocking SH4.exe from attempting to access files. I gave it permission and it's "All ahead full"! So far so good but I've made so many changes and attempts to fix this that I'm sure a bolt is loose somewhere that never got retightened. Oh well. I'll find it at 400ft! Thanks again and WOW! Does FOTRSU look good!
Old 02-22-20, 01:46 AM   #7
Talvezny1
Swabbie

Default Problems again

So I was able to play it once and now when I try to load it I get to the Title page that shows the load progress bar for FOTRS Ultimate and get a message once the progress bar reaches full. The warning message is:

Warning
There is a new (not implemented) page: <PageChooseLoadSave>!

Any idea of what is now going on?

Now I notice that if I click OK I get various other messages

Warning
There is a new (not implemented) page: <PagePLayerRank>!
There is a new (not implemented) page: <PageIntelligenceUnits>!
There is a new (not implemented) page: <WeaponsandSensors>!
Menu ID not found: 0x6101000b!
Menu ID not found: 0x61080004!

I assume I have some corrupted files or perhaps missing files. What is my best course of action here? A complete reinstall from STeam? Reinstall of just the mod?

So deactivate the mod, checked file integrity of the STeam install. Downloaded and replaced the files that were missing or needing repaired. Then activated the mod. I can now make into the sub for a mission but graphics are funny and it crashes inside of 15 sec.

I have adjusted the resolution inside the grphics setting to my monitors native setting and have turned off the various special effects. Still crashing! Thoughts?

It's got to be something with frame rates or refresh rate. The voices stutter and the mouse is slow.

OK, OK, now I have edited the resolution in the Data->Cfg->Main and it is running smoothly.....so far BUT all my dials in the command room are faceless! I have readable dials and gauges in the radio room, and conning tower but not the command room.

Still no readable gauges or dials in command room and Captains quarters are very dark. Just tried a single mission "Attu". Game crashed when I tried going from bridge to binos. Had been playing FOTRS with high graphic settings. I am now on low settings.
Computer specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30Ghz 2.40Ghz
8.0 Gb RAM
64 bit x64 processor
Win 10
Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
Nvidia GeForce 940M

Last edited by Talvezny1; 02-22-20 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-22-20, 11:04 AM   #8
propbeanie

Your AV trashed your install, along with doing what Windows does to a game when it is in a "Program Files" folder. So between the AV and Windows, you are being thrashed into submission. You will have to move your game install out of the "Program Files" folder. Consult that Steam Knowledgebase Article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games". It is a major bother, and will take a while to accomplish. Activating the mod will get you one play - maybe - of the game, but while you are playing it, in the background, Windows is changing all of the cfg and other recognized file extensioned files back to what they were on the initial install. Since JSGME did the activation, a lot of the files are "invisible" inside of its database, so now you can't use JSGME to properly restore you to a good stock game state, which is why there were so many missing files when you did the Steam "check". Doing a Steam "check" on an install with an activated mod will essentially wipe-out the mod also, since Steam puts everything back to stock.

I don't know how many Steam games you have, but if all you have is the SH4, or maybe the Silent Hunter 3, 4 & 5 series, I would be tempted to do an un-install of the Steam app and the games, then re-install Steam, but during the installation, choose a Library folder location outside of Windows' influence, such as "C:\Games\" or whatever you want to name it. You do NOT want to put Steam nor the Library folder directly into the root of the drive, since that again is "system" territory and will be altered back, but also because of the potential mess you could possibly make of the computer if you did that. You will still find most the Steam app itself still in a "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam..." folder, but your Library will be in "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \GameName" now, out of the direct clutches of all things MS and AV...

Old 02-22-20, 11:26 AM   #9
Talvezny1
Swabbie

Thank you for the reply propbeanie. I admit I don't understand all the workings of the computer. I do, however, have the folder moved out of the programs folder per the instructions. It is in my c:games/steam. I had to use the instructions to add another stream folder because I already had one in the c: programs. I even used sh4multiple to make it's own save file. I was playing fine with the FOTRSU mod prior to the latest release a few days ago. Not saying it's the new version's fault but I think I need to do another clean install and start over. Do the radio files cause any problems? I did install multiple stations this time around. I was only using captain midnights and the Honolulu station before

Last edited by Talvezny1; 02-22-20 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-22-20, 02:24 PM   #10
propbeanie

As mentioned elsewhere, just be sure and check the radio station with DigitalTrucker's "Radio Station Manager" for radio "events" that are out of sequence. So long as you install the stations as per instructions, and follow the RSM instructioins, it should be able to "fix" the issue, which is an understandable oversight in Captain Midnight's mod. There is a ~LOT~ of stuff in there, and in reality, the game should NOT crash on that, but rather ignore the out-of-order dates / times, and continue processing, but it does not. This is one of the weak areas of the game engine. The only thing that happens when you add radio stations is they take up hard drive space. If properly installed, they should not interfere with the game, other than a slight overall throughput hit on performance.

As for using MultiSH4 to make new Save folders, especially if you want more than just a Stock copy of the game and one for FotRSU, it is extremely helpful. You do still have to usually empty the Save folder between mod version changes and / or additions, depending upon what the mod alters. If you ever forget what folder you created for the Save folder, just run MultiSH4 again, and it does display the name you created previously. However, just like JSGME and LAA, you do have to pay attention to which folder you are starting the app in, and even the SH4 Mission Editor, if you use that, will retain the folder previously used, not the folder you are running it from. You can end up with all kinds of wonky results if you aren't careful... These are old-style programs, written back in the 32-bit Windows XP, exclusive, Single-thread days

Old 02-22-20, 02:52 PM   #11
Talvezny1
Swabbie

Thanks again! I'll mess with it some more. Tired to just drop the cash on a hardcopy so as to eliminate steam. Just seems to confuse things. I used to play EA Sub Command many years ago but SH4 rocks! And a snappy salute to all of you here at Subsim! What a great team!
Old 02-22-20, 03:27 PM   #12
propbeanie

The Steam install is fine, just a few "gotchas" to look-out for, which is why I keep a bone-Stock copy in the Library folder, and make copies of that to "paste" into other folders that I name after the mod, such that my Steam / SteamApps / Common folder has:
1. Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific
2. SH4 FotRSU
3. SH4 TMO

etc., below it. I also used the Steam app on my computer, and "Add non-Steam games to a Library". From that, you can rename the "sh4.exe" that shows up on the Steam menu, and you can create a desktop shortcut to it. Makes it much easier to start the game, and if it needs to, it can go through the Steam license check and (usually) never fails to start...

You could also install that disk version on the same computer, just to a different folder, but again, NOT in a "Program Files" folder. Myself, I have three versions of SH4 (four if I could ever find my original v1.x disk) on three different computers, and any time I can talk my sons into playing, we can do multi-missions on the home network. They don't like to get sunk though...

Old 02-22-20, 04:00 PM   #13
Talvezny1
Swabbie

So maybe I need to revisit the instructions again but...I used sh4cms to make a pristine copy then created a FOTRS folder and a BERBSTER folder for his mod that I started with. However, I was not able to get the steam app to recognize either of those folders so I resorted to the original download and have been modding it. The Pristine copy is still there. Can I use that to acquire a new copy without downloading from steam again? The way I read it that is what the Pristine copy was for but I'll admit I got lost in the instructions.
Old 02-22-20, 05:10 PM   #14
Talvezny1
Swabbie

So....did I miss a step? When I used SH4cms to make a new folder location for the different mod versions should I have used the "add a non-steam game to library" function? Because I tried to open SH4 directly from the .exe file and it wouldn't let me. I had to open it through steam and therefore I was tied to that one file. Is this where I strayed off course? So when I add a non-steam game, do I add the SH4cms created file directory such as SHFOTRS? or do I go into that folder and just add the .exe file? I assume you add the folder then from your post you said to rename the SH4.exe file
Old 02-22-20, 09:25 PM   #15
propbeanie

If you copied a Steam version of the game into the CMS FotRSU folder, then you most likely will have to add it to the Steam start via "Add a non-Steam game to the Library". The reason being that Steam licensing. When you add it to the menu, and start it through Steam, it will run the Steam checks. If you start it from the SH4, it will not run those licensing checks, and just shut down...