SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-20, 10:55 AM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The "difficult" part of the problem is that one change in the sub's sim file will affect other aspects of the sim file, which have no direct bearing on the changed setting, such as GC and others of that ilk, will influence more than just the way a boat "rides" in the water. The best a modder can do is to try and "balance" things a bit.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 04:33 PM   #17
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Now, the way I see it is thus:

If you guys were really being aggressive enough, you would drive your boats hard enough that you'd have just a little diesel left for patrol when you get there. You'd take what you needed from the Japanese to get home, or you wouldn't have the temerity to haul back into Pearl.

Now stop eating all that ice cream and be more aggressive.

Now, you see, back in my day... we patrolled backwards both ways.... upstream naked.... with no toilet paper in the North Atlantic...

Sorry for the off-topic. Couldn't resist.
Sink'em ALL, guys!!!

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 11:24 PM   #18
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

.... annnd CRICKETS....

Hey! It was funny because it was true.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 03-29-20, 12:55 AM   #19
propbeanie

I would have rolled on the floor if I would have stopped by in here...

"Be more aggressive."... The ice cream maker on my boat is broken though. Someone tried to use the parts in conjunction with some torp juice recipe someone had sent them from home...

Old 03-29-20, 06:48 AM   #20
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Default What the problem!!!

As I told you I am not a sailor I did not want to criticize the work done here quite the contrary ... I know very well that this game is very complicated to modify because I have read a lot of forums before I can try all these modes I do not understand this irony I all just wanted to joke .. it is true that if we push the beast it is different but I found it strange .... here then the bottom valves calles c is good ..! !!
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 09:13 AM   #21
propbeanie

No disrespect is intended, no insults thrown. We were just trying to have a little fun at the modders' expense Kal_Maximus_U669 - which would mostly be me in this regard, because I was the one that tried to edit a few of the subs ~lower~ in fuel range, and all I managed to do was to move the curve of the subs' "most efficient" speed... I also was not aware that the game was that inept at giving an "estimated range at this speed" set of figures. That was used as our "test" paradigm, or methodology. "Bingo fuel" is rather important for a skipper to know, so if the game says you are good for 12,500nm, you would figure "bingo" would be 6,250nm, and be very mindful of that figure prior to your furthest point of travel. If the game is several thousands of miles off on that figure, it should be attempted to change it, which we did. Unfortunately, all I succeeded in doing was move the "most efficient" from 5, 6 or 7 knots up to 9 or 10 knots, or basically Standard speed... Another attempt will be made for the next release, but "testing" it will include driving a submarine at TC1x overnight while I sleep (not at war-time), to see the "real" fuel useage, rather than relying on the game to give me a "maximum range at xx speed" function. One caveat to this, is that the game may then give a skipper a really bad estimate, and you might then be 1200nm from home, and be out of fuel, with no recourse other than to abandon your career. We don't want that either... we do thank you for your comments on the subject though, and want to let you know that we are attempting to work on it. Also be aware that I used to get in trouble at school all of the time as a youngster. I was never the class clown - I was just the one that "fed" the class clown and encouraged their behavior... so probably two-thirds of what I post is tinged with self-deprecating sarcasm, liberally sprinkled with facetiousness... in other words, do not take me seriously in most postings... In all seriousness though, I do apologize for unintended insensitivity toward the reports. Keep them coming (both the reports and the jokes)!

Old 03-29-20, 02:39 PM   #22
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58

Greetings Propbeanie,

I think the fuel usage issues in FOTRSU are related to the battery recharge fix special ability. I'm running 1.004.a and was patrolling in a Gato out of Midway. With one officer with that ability, I would typically return to base with no torpedoes and more than half my fuel after patrolling all the way to 11-B at ahead full for most of the trip.

Then I promoted an ensign who gained that ability. Once I had two officers with the battery recharge fix I could run flank speed submerged all day and still have half a charge that evening when I surfaced. And I could complete an entire patrol and pull back into Midway with 99% fuel remaining.

I accepted a Balao out of Fremantle and ran a patrol to Convoy College with the same results as above. Full speed to patrol zone, patrol five days at Standard, numerous runs at Flank to get in position, etc. and still returned with 99% and no torpedoes without stopping anywhere for fuel.

I'm a bit OCD with crew management: I promote and cycle off the boat the old hands so they can crew the new boats, etc. It's one of the ways I immerse myself. Anyhow, I released the original lieutenant with the battery recharge fix to his own captaincy and the former ensign became my only crew member with the ability.

Now my boat is using fuel again. This patrol had me down to 92% about the time I hit the Sulu Sea. So, to reiterate: I think the fuel usage issue is connected to the battery recharge fix special ability.

Good hunting!
SilentPrey
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 05:53 PM   #23
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
No disrespect is intended, no insults thrown. We were just trying to have a little fun at the modders' expense Kal_Maximus_U669 - which would mostly be me in this regard, because I was the one that tried to edit a few of the subs ~lower~ in fuel range, and all I managed to do was to move the curve of the subs' "most efficient" speed... I also was not aware that the game was that inept at giving an "estimated range at this speed" set of figures. That was used as our "test" paradigm, or methodology. "Bingo fuel" is rather important for a skipper to know, so if the game says you are good for 12,500nm, you would figure "bingo" would be 6,250nm, and be very mindful of that figure prior to your furthest point of travel. If the game is several thousands of miles off on that figure, it should be attempted to change it, which we did. Unfortunately, all I succeeded in doing was move the "most efficient" from 5, 6 or 7 knots up to 9 or 10 knots, or basically Standard speed... Another attempt will be made for the next release, but "testing" it will include driving a submarine at TC1x overnight while I sleep (not at war-time), to see the "real" fuel useage, rather than relying on the game to give me a "maximum range at xx speed" function. One caveat to this, is that the game may then give a skipper a really bad estimate, and you might then be 1200nm from home, and be out of fuel, with no recourse other than to abandon your career. We don't want that either... we do thank you for your comments on the subject though, and want to let you know that we are attempting to work on it. Also be aware that I used to get in trouble at school all of the time as a youngster. I was never the class clown - I was just the one that "fed" the class clown and encouraged their behavior... so probably two-thirds of what I post is tinged with self-deprecating sarcasm, liberally sprinkled with facetiousness... in other words, do not take me seriously in most postings... In all seriousness though, I do apologize for unintended insensitivity toward the reports. Keep them coming (both the reports and the jokes)!

I agree with Propbeanie. Everyone is stressed out with everything going on, and sometimes we just need to laugh. I am not qualified to speak with authority on any Silent Hunter 4 mods. No offense was intended.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 03-30-20, 12:24 PM   #24
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

old post, but good explanation of the hard coded issues with fuel usage in SH4:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...7&postcount=45

since SH4 is based on the SH3 code, it assumes all subs only have 2 engines like a U-boat, as opposed to the 4 engines in fleet boats, so ahead 2/3rds (8-9 knots) is the most efficient speed since the game seems to assume only one engine is running.

Problem is that it seems fleet boats usually travelled at 12-15 knots between their base and patrol areas. This was efficient since the boat was only running on 3 engines, but the game assumes the boat is running on both U-boat engines, therefore all 4 fleet boat engines.

There is no easy solution to this problem, only workarounds.
Old 03-30-20, 01:23 PM   #25
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
old post, but good explanation of the hard coded issues with fuel usage in SH4:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...7&postcount=45

since SH4 is based on the SH3 code, it assumes all subs only have 2 engines like a U-boat, as opposed to the 4 engines in fleet boats, so ahead 2/3rds (8-9 knots) is the most efficient speed since the game seems to assume only one engine is running.

Problem is that it seems fleet boats usually travelled at 12-15 knots between their base and patrol areas. This was efficient since the boat was only running on 3 engines, but the game assumes the boat is running on both U-boat engines, therefore all 4 fleet boat engines.

There is no easy solution to this problem, only workarounds.
i would have to agree with Ducimus' explanation of fuel usage in the link that Bilge Rat provided.
i would also agree with Bilge Rat in that there is very little that can be changed and that which we CAN change is a work-around.
just have some fun with it!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote