SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-21, 08:22 PM   #181
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That is about as wide as it is long... With SH5, there was a "fix" for the Steam version, and now there is a "fix" for the Ubisoft version. You still can't play Sober's mod in either. His needs the disk version... SH4 it doesn't seem to matter, and the same with SH3. They both do copy fine to another folder for applying MultiSH and any desired mod. It is advisable though, to not mod the initial install of the game, since that is the one that both of those vendors point to when you go to "verify game files". I have both a Steam and a Ubisoft version of SH5, a Steam SH3 and a Ubisoft SH4, and I do not have issues with any of them anymore. The only troubles a person runs into with these old games on the newer computers, is Administrator rights and video settings. This kind of stuff can be very frustrating to get set correctly.

Lest I forget - The Steam "base" SH4 game is v1.3 of Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific. You cannot use the Ubisoft "Sh4v1.4Patch" to update the game. You also cannot use the Ubisoft "Uboat Missions AddOn", if you have one. You ~MUST~ use the Steam version of Uboat Missions AddOn to get to version 1.5 aka: Gold Edition of the game. Ubisoft only sells the "Gold Edition" anymore. To have v1.4 of the game, if desired, you need a DVD-ROM version of the game, and the Ubisoft version of UBoat Missions AddOn - which is no longer available...
Ahoy,

The last I checked on that... Steam in their combo pack, offers up SH3 (latest version), SH4 in both v1.4 & 1.5 (if you want to do mods for SH4, I strongly recommend ensuring that you grab the v1.5 SH4...) & then finally, SH5.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.

Old 01-24-21, 09:17 AM   #182
GalaxianFive
A-ganger

Downloads: 183
Uploads: 2

I already have SH1, SH2, SH3, SH4, and SH5 all on original discs and SH4 U-BOAT as a digital download all work great on this win 10 pc except SH4+U-BOAT which has the mentioned activation problem after working for over 2 years on it. If I buy the steam version with U-BOAT missions is it easy to install duplicate installations on my other hard drives?
GalaxianFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-21, 01:13 PM   #183
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxianFive View Post
I already have SH1, SH2, SH3, SH4, and SH5 all on original discs and SH4 U-BOAT as a digital download all work great on this win 10 pc except SH4+U-BOAT which has the mentioned activation problem after working for over 2 years on it. If I buy the steam version with U-BOAT missions is it easy to install duplicate installations on my other hard drives?
Ahoy, Galaxian5...

I have 3, 4 & 5 through Steam & to be frank, I have a 2 HD set up on My computer... I use the main drive for win, My games library folder (set up out side of either \prog files or \prog files (x86) for obvious reasons... it keeps it out of UAC's grubby evil paws... so I can mod My games as I see fit to do so.

The 2nd drive is My notes, mod repository & where I stack the game launchers at... I know that some only roll with 1 HD, so am not sure if how I set things up in the \Games ''library'' will work or not... as I don't have a computer set up with just 1 drive, to test that out on... This set up is for SH4, am NOT sure if the same will work with SH3 or 5... as I haven't tested it out with those SH line ups...

That said, I have sh4 ''pristine'' copy in the \common folder & from there, have My SH4 mods in that same \common folder, in a folder named \SH4 megamods. In that folder, I have each copy I modded out, in their respective mod names, like We dive at Dawn!, FotRSU-Nippon Maru, Op. Monsun: Dark & so on... Think I have 5 different megamodded flavors of SH4 total...

I copied the guts of SH4, from that ''pristine'' copy (which I finalized the set up after install, by running it to allow for any additional stuff to be done first), I then pasted that into the folder named to the mega I wanted to go with, put in to it jsgme, multiSH4, run MultiSH4 to set up the new save folder naming it to match the mod, closed that, moved on to running the jsgme once, to allow for the 'MODS' folder to be set up. Dropped in all that goes for the mega into 'MODS', run jsgme to active them in the order of that is needed... run Large Address Aware, to assign the SH4.exe 4 GB of RAM, & then send a copy of jsgme, the SH4.exe to desktop so I don't have to go back into the folder to run them & rename them to the mod flavor

hope this info helps...

M. M.

Old 01-30-21, 01:00 PM   #184
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

YIPES! I just looked at my mancave's old games shelf and discovered I have Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific. I have no recollection of having acquired it...possibly the local library's book and games sale some years back Completely wrapped in it's original cellophane....I checked on the game requirements: and it said Windows "XP/Vista only"...so being completely computer illiterate techwise, I typed in
Quote:
can silent hunter wolves of pacific be played on WIN 10?
which led me to a steam forum which led me here. The pandemic lockdown has me screaming for "sumpin' new" to do in my Covid-confined dotage so here goes!
TNX in advance for the info in this thread!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 11:15 AM   #185
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Ooo-oooh - Akbby! Congrats on the find, and good luck on the "hunt"! How is it going thus far?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 11:38 AM   #186
GalaxianFive
A-ganger

Downloads: 183

Ubisoft support finnally got back to me, they recognise that I own the game legally and have added further activations to my code keys. SUCCESS!!!! My SH-4 now works perfectly again.
GalaxianFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-21, 02:41 PM   #187
propbeanie

Wow... blazingly ~FAST~... wow - at least they did get you going though. Fantastic.

Old 02-13-21, 02:44 PM   #188
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Ooo-oooh - Akbby! Congrats on the find, and good luck on the "hunt"! How is it going thus far?
Actually i've yet to screwup my courage to load it!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 03-28-21, 03:10 PM   #189
Arsenius
Sailor man

Downloads: 79

Heloo people, long time no see, and finally i'm back again

My problem here, the game opens well, my monitor is a LG Ultrawide running at resolution of 2560 x 1080, and ingame i turn resolution to 1920 x 1080

but in the as ingame suddenly mouse starts to freeze and the game turn back to desktop as if i'm alt-tabbed.

the is there in the task bar, i clickit, the game is back and suddenly is "alt tab" itself again

The mystery IS now WHY?

how i can solve this

Windows 10 to the last version,
Ryzen 7 3800X
Nvidia RTX 2070
24gb of 2666 mhz ram
Arsenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 03:17 PM   #190
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default welcome back!

Arsenius! nice 11 year silent run!

Old 03-28-21, 03:38 PM   #191
c6owboy
Nub

Downloads: 77
Default application block by adminstrator error in windows 10

I found this youtube link gives step by step instructions after you follow procedure Silent hunter 4 will run normally. You will also get this error on installing the SH4 1.4 patch for the game. I couldn't find the other thread please share this in other threads concerning windows 10 problems

c6owboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 04:28 PM   #192
Arsenius
Sailor man

Downloads: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6owboy View Post
I found this youtube link gives step by step instructions after you follow procedure Silent hunter 4 will run normally. You will also get this error on installing the SH4 1.4 patch for the game. I couldn't find the other thread please share this in other threads concerning windows 10 problems

I've found when i turn to native resolution of my monitor, all the flipping stops

but I can't reach the button "Proceed" to open a new campaign.. ohh by gods of the sea.....
Arsenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 05:12 PM   #193
propbeanie

I would not recommend editing the registry for Silent Hunter. As you have found Arsenius, getting the video stream set correctly will work. Right now, with the ultra-wide, your game setting of 1920x1080 is off the screen to the bottom. To temporarily get around that, set the Main Menu, Options, Graphic Settings to "Windowed". Then restart the game. This will leave black bars to the left and right of the game "Window", but will allow you to reach the bottom and top of the game screen. You might also have to adjust the SH4.exe Properties on the Compatibility tab.

Old 05-02-21, 10:01 AM   #194
K9us
Swabbie

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCQ_SH View Post
So I upgraded my rig, and after reading everything and tested everything I could, I concluded that my laptop doesn't want to run SH4 in any resolution but 1024x768 in windowed mode. On that resolution, it works like a charm (intel grpahics, as it doesn't like my nvidia, although it doesn't need it), but now I'm out of ideas. The big question is if there is a solution for that. (I've tried the cgf files, I already checked the net framework thing, and all good, LAA, etc.) Mostly, everything was covered and I ran out of ideas...
Quote:
With my 'modern' Win10 laptop, I have the Windows display settings the same as the "Native" resolution of the display monitor, and have the game set the same. I do not have a dual-card set-up like you though... but anyway, matching that, and then I right-click the SH4.exe file, and choose "Properties", and then the "Compatibility" tab. Just for SnGs, I chose "Run as an administrator" (it should not be necessary), since I was there, but the thing that helped it to actually function correctly was to click on the "Change high DPI settings", and I chose "High DPI scaling Overide - Overide high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: <Application>". That did the trick for my laptop.
Had the same issue as LCQ_SH, and can more or less confirm that propbeanie's solution seem to work or at least is part of the solution. I was gonna satiate my FotRSU cravings and installed SH4+Uboat through Steam on my Win10 v2004 Build 19041. Refused to start on anything but the default 1024x768x60hz.

I naturally manually installed DirectX9 from the SH4\DirectX folder and applied the Large Address Aware.exe utility from FotRSU. I also tested various combinations of settings in the SH4.exe compatibility options, but the only one that seemed to work was the one that propbeanie mentions:

Change high DPI settings > Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: Application.

So now I'm currently running at least the FotRSU menu screen at 2560x1440x144hz and maximum graphics, using ONLY that particular setting above. Everything else is default/unchecked. And it makes sense that I had to change that setting, because I have both bad eye sight and high DPI monitors, so I scale them to 150%, and I have the "fix scaling for apps" set in the Windows advanced scaling settings. Probably something there that messes with the DPI which makes SH4.exe not work properly.

The next step is to figure out if anything else is needed in the compatibility settings to actually run the game and not just the menu :P
K9us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-21, 10:26 AM   #195
propbeanie

I am going to have to remember where I "hide" this picture, because I just spent fifteen minutes trying to find it again... lol - oldmanitis

The "Disable fullscreen optimizations" might be what you're missing, if you hadn't clicked it. Another thing about the game, is that things would probably be easier to read at 1920x1080, set from inside the game. You could keep your 2560x1440 Windows settings, just set the game lower, since they are both 16:9 resolutions. You wouldn't need the 150% zoom then, which I am not certain the game would run at anyway...