SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-14, 07:38 PM   #4561
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

Pictures didn't open.
Old 01-20-14, 04:42 AM   #4562
HertogJan
Weps

Downloads: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
Pictures didn't open.
Do you mean mine?
HertogJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 09:18 AM   #4563
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertogJan View Post
Do you mean mine?
Yes, and I didn't know what you did. They show up now.
Old 01-20-14, 11:41 AM   #4564
HertogJan
Weps

Downloads: 137

I didn't do anything
HertogJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 12:05 PM   #4565
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 73

July, 1943. Operation 'Monsun' has begun.

My name is Oberleutnant zur See Karl Junack. I have just been placed in command of Type IXC/40 U-Boat U188.

High Command has ordered myself and other U-Boats to Penang in the Far East to assist our Japanese allies in the current struggle. This war has been taking a toll on myself, and my family. In May of 1941, my brother Heinz served aboard the great battleship Bismarck and was killed when the British overwhelmed her. I have never been able to get over this as Heinz and I were not only brothers, but best friends as well.

I have vowed revenge. I have been allowed to hand-pick my crew, and I know that they would stand with me until the end. I will not rest until I find the the HMS King George V, and the HMS Rodney. Our comrades in U81 sank HMS Ark Royal and the Japanese sank HMS Dorsetshire. I will follow my orders to the fullest, but shall I have the opportunity to encounter these ships...I will do whatever it takes to destroy them.

Now it's time to take matters into my own hands, and we will succeed or die trying.

Last edited by Admiral Lutjens; 01-25-14 at 07:46 PM.
Admiral Lutjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 05:05 PM   #4566
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Admiral Lutjens, nice intro. I'm looking forward to reading your patrol reports.
Old 01-25-14, 07:32 PM   #4567
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Post edited for updated story.

1 July, 1943

We depart Lorient, France en route to Penang via refueling in the Indian Ocean.

Last edited by Admiral Lutjens; 01-25-14 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-25-14, 07:56 PM   #4568
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Traversing the Bay of Biscay is always a harrowing affair for any U-boat coming out of her pen. At 18:12 hours, a Bristol Beaufighter caught us completely by surprise and we were damaged from a couple of near-misses, and injuries sustained. Thankfully, no major injuries and the damage is repairable.

At 18:14, the Beaufighter perhaps thought he'd try to finish us off with some small-arms fire by swinging around and making another run at us. Again, a few hits were scored but nothing major and no injuries. My brave men stood tall in this hail of fire and and unleashed a furious barrage and made him pay....

.....the ultimate price.

Old 01-25-14, 08:15 PM   #4569
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

I decided it would be safer to submerge until nightfall, when we could surface once again and get away from those ever-deadly British air patrols. Where is our air cover?

Old 01-25-14, 08:30 PM   #4570
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Just after dawn the men, including myself, were awoke from sleep with the battle stations bell sounding. Radar picked up another aircraft on the horizon. This time, it's a Short Sunderland flying boat. We scored several hits on this low, slow flying aircraft that I witnessed personally. Yet, as our Luftwaffe brethren have - somewhat appropriately - dubbed this aircraft the 'flying porcupine' for it's notorious difficulty to bring down even after suffering tremendous damage. Regardless, she was brought down and crashed right into our bow! Unfortunately, two of our bow tubes were completely destroyed in this action and many man below deck injured. It's a long way to Penang.

I've decided that enough is enough, and that we are going to get out of this God-forsaken bay at top speed. I ordered the engines to flank speed and we are going to make a run for our first navigational point. Let's hope that we're able to find our milch cow as petrol is as precious as blood...

Last edited by Admiral Lutjens; 01-25-14 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-25-14, 08:58 PM   #4571
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

We are inching closer to Cape Ortegal, Spain, and run into a rain squall. We are making good progress until we suddenly find ourselves in the midst of an allied task force supported by air cover! The aircraft, I know not how many, seemed to be attacking us in waves. One can hardly see 100 meters in these conditions, yet somehow there was a furious exchange of fire. The U-boat was again riddled with bullets, and we were at least able to hit a few aircraft because I saw smoke from one that passed over us. I do not know if we brought him down, but I'm not in a position to care about that right now. My focus is getting my U-boat and most importantly my men.....my brethren....to Penang. What a black day - literally. Men, including myself, were wounded. I took shrapnel in the side, but the medics say we will be all right. It's time to submerge and see how far our batteries can take us....

Last edited by Admiral Lutjens; 01-25-14 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-25-14, 09:11 PM   #4572
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Once again, we submerge until nightfall. When we resurface, we see the storm clouds behind us and a bright crescent moon. We are now 188km due north of Cape Ortegal. 1144km to our first navigational point in the Mid Atlantic. It seems like we've only just begun...

Last edited by Admiral Lutjens; 01-25-14 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-25-14, 09:54 PM   #4573
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

8 July, 1943

We have reached the first task of our mission, and that was to poise for our breakout into the Atlantic between the Azores and the Canary Islands. Now, we are proceeding to the mid-Atlantic to rendezvous with our milch cow. Let's hope he's still there...

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...=1#post2671928
Old 01-25-14, 10:17 PM   #4574
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Around midday, radar and lookouts spotted a torpedo bomber on the far distant southern horizon. He had to have seen us, since the weather conditions and visibility were absolutely perfect. One of the lookouts mentioned that it didn't look like any British torpedo bomber he'd ever seen and suggested that it might be an American Grumman TBF Avenger. How could it be?

Well, a short time later we got our answer. We were pounced on by two low-flying American F4F Wildcat fighter-bombers, coming from the northeast low and fast. We were strafed with minor damage, but we brought one of those bastards down. If there's American aircraft prowling about these waters, no doubt there's a carrier nearby. A so-called 'hunter/killer' group. No injuries to report. It's time to submerge again.

On to the milch cow..

Old 01-25-14, 10:38 PM   #4575
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

11 July, 1943

It's a beautiful morning and by the grace of God, we've reached our milch cow in the mid-Atlantic and were able to take on fuel and provisions, as well as treat some of the wounded. The first - and probably most dangerous - part of our journey is over. Now it's time to turn southeast towards the Cape of Good Hope, and hope that it stays true to its word....

Last edited by Admiral Lutjens; 01-25-14 at 11:23 PM.

Tags
screenshots