SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-17, 11:16 PM   #1
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0

Default Improving looks of DW

Here is my recent and very preliminary attempt to improve texture of one of the surface unit in DW.

It is not frankly totally painless and easy task and result perhaps is not very drastic after all. I have no access to any of the 3d editing tool to modify the model (in this case i believe it would be early 3dsMax 3.01) and I only must rely on free 3d converter which allows me to read j3d format and unwrap each part of the DW model to make the repaint of the existing texture more accurate in in higher resolution.

The main problem in continuing this project I see in finding sources on the web and gathering enough materials and pictures of the warships to make their look consistent, hirez and visually better. If someone knows some good internet naval modeling sites please maybe share here.

Also, there is enormous number of the 3d units and models in DW. This project is not for an individual but rather group of texture painters or 3d modelers. I can gladly share ''know how" in brief tutorial, which can follow this post.

Anyway ... its a start (maybe).

Last edited by Polak2; 02-01-17 at 05:54 AM.
Polak2 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 11:34 PM   #2
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I sure like it! Some textures in DW are really awful, so every bit helps I think.
Old 02-01-17, 12:21 AM   #3
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

That definitely looks better! Nice work.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 03:54 AM   #4
Pirate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 152

I like it!
Old 02-01-17, 04:38 AM   #5
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 32

Bravo Zulu Sir - is this available for download?

The Perry is definitely one ship that needs a texture spruce up!
Stewy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 04:53 AM   #6
MR. Wood
Planesman

Downloads: 170
Uploads: 5

Damn good job your hired we offer no pay and no health care but we love your work lol looks ten times better have any of you looked into adding and replacing models and paint jobs from fleet command to DW? just started doing some of it the other night. Seen in the RA mod fourms when 1.42 comes out there will be more units and more modal replacement just a heads up guys
MR. Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 05:47 AM   #7
Polak2
Weps

Thank you all for quick encouraging response and reception. For now here is the link to 3d Object converter which is the only program to my knowledge being able to read j3d format. This program is free and for what we are using it for (preview of models and texture unwrap) no need to register.
http://3doc.i3dconverter.com/

Registration would allow to convert to other editable formats, but for j3d it is not possible to write it back into j3d. For that the only possible way is to use known and available here to us j3d plugin, which unfortunately only works with 3dsMax 3.01 which is old, very rare and hard to get.
Old 02-01-17, 03:56 PM   #8
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The Ohio SSBNs could need a new texture. It's very blurry unfortunately.
Curious what the RA team is up to in that department...
Old 02-02-17, 06:42 AM   #9
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

The RA team has consistently given American 3D models in the game much disrespect.

They are horrible in comparison to Russian models.

Let's not bring politics into a game. I love both Russian and American submarines and I would love seeing American submarines getting proper 3-D models that look as good as their Russian counterparts in RA.
Old 02-02-17, 07:00 AM   #10
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I agree, but I wouldn't say it's I'll-intend by them. It is normal that one us more passionate about ones countries stuff and Russians are very nationalistic anyways (often).
The Kilo and typhoon for exampke are drop dead gorgeous and show that dw can still be sexy. But yes, the us boats are really...ugh...
Old 02-02-17, 07:30 AM   #11
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
I agree, but I wouldn't say it's I'll-intend by them. It is normal that one us more passionate about ones countries stuff and Russians are very nationalistic anyways (often).
The Kilo and typhoon for exampke are drop dead gorgeous and show that dw can still be sexy. But yes, the us boats are really...ugh...
When playing the Kilo I get so upset if my target is a Virginia and it looks just so horribly....I mean the benefit of eye candy isn't only for the sub you're driving but also your targets.

It's politics I believe that's stopping RA team to give us better American 3D models and textures. Naval passion knows no nationality. I cheerish Chinese subs as much as I cherish American and Russian submarines in the game.

Japanese subs look really sweet though in RA. Virginia hurts my eyes......Ohio has very bad textures and propeller. Could benefit from a new 3D-model too.
Old 02-02-17, 09:27 AM   #12
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Virginia and Ohio definitely should have priority by anyone wanting to do something. It's like with guns. I can't shoot them when I can't even look at them...
Old 02-02-17, 09:53 AM   #13
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136

I disagree with you. last version RA have very nice new models for US warships:
- Gearing DD
- Belknap CG
- Truxtun CGN
- Albany CG
- Long Beach CGN
- Virginia CGN
and airplanes:
- A-4A Skyhawk
- F-8 Crusader

Did you notice them?
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 06:23 PM   #14
Polak2
Weps

This thread should not turn into discourse about which side 3d models are better or inferior. And sure suggesting any bias would be really a stretch. RA Team did tremendous job into DW improvements in ALL categories far exceeding just graphics.
In fact their commitment and truly magnificent effort with Reinforced Alert project should be to all of us as a bright example to try to contribute time and talents.

Last edited by Polak2; 02-02-17 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-02-17, 10:03 PM   #15
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
I disagree with you. last version RA have very nice new models for US warships:
- Gearing DD
- Belknap CG
- Truxtun CGN
- Albany CG
- Long Beach CGN
- Virginia CGN
and airplanes:
- A-4A Skyhawk
- F-8 Crusader

Did you notice them?
Not all of them. They are okay but some of the new playable American subs just look horrible and haven't been updated for a long long time. In mind, the Ohio and Virginia classes. All of the Russian subs look awesome in comparison.