Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-06-08, 11:12 AM   #1
Nate8thcvi
Watch

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default AOD sound in DOSBox?

Hi, folks,

I tried looking around this site already for a fix, but I couldn't find one, so here's my question!

I have been able to get the original AOD (not CAOD) working on my Windows XP operating system using DOSBox 0.63 and the D-Fend v2. However, I can't seem to get the sound working. When running SOUNDSET to detect the sound, SOUNDSET comes up with the following:

Digital Sound Driver: Sound Blaster
DMA: 1
IRQ: 7
PORT Address: 220h

MIDI Music Driver: Use Digital Sound Card
PORT Address: 388h

After testing that, it works fine, and I can hear sound. So I input that data into the DOSBox/D-Fend profile, but when I try to run the game, there's no sound. I have also tried the following:

- Changing the digital sound driver in SOUNDSET and DOSBox to Sound Blaster 16
- Making sure GUS was disabled
- Making sure sound was on for everything within the game options
- Making sure MIDI sound was on in the Windows Volume control

I'm somewhat at a loss. Can someone who has this running properly share with me their sound settings in both SOUNDSET and DOSBox/D-Fend?

Thanks for help!

Nate
Nate8thcvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 05:27 PM   #2
VipertheSniper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

I don't know but I think the soundcard configuration is already done in the config file for dosbox, I don't think you need to fiddle around with that... after having run soundset, it should be configured and anytime you run the game use those settings...

I have about 7 or 8 games installed on my dosbox mount and they all run fine with sound, without any tinkering with the settings of DOSBox

I also had AOD installed at one time, and the sound worked allright after only setting it in setsound

I think if you just make d-fend run Dosbox with the default dosbox.conf you should do just fine, after all, since setsound detected a soundcard the settings are already ok with the default config...

Last edited by VipertheSniper; 11-06-08 at 05:34 PM.
VipertheSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 06:39 PM   #3
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
using DOSBox 0.63 and the D-Fend v2
Juste a note, the good old D-Fend v2 works very well with the latest version of DOSBox, 0.72.

From my tests, DOSBox 0.72 is a -very- lot better in speed than DOSBox 0.63 for nearly every DOS games i ran with it, it is even more noticable with the ones in which there are 3D environment (like Aces of the Deep).

So give a try, AOD should really benefit from 0.72 and hopefully may be able to help in your sound problem.

Here are the sound settings i have for AOD in D-Fend (using DOSBox 0.72):

I hope it can help.

Last edited by Robsoie; 11-06-08 at 06:39 PM.
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 07:04 PM   #4
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

I've had AOD running from DOSBOX 0.63 (does better full screen handling) through DOSBOX 0.72 which I use now.

No problems with sound. Although, I usually have the music turned off. The only issue is sound drop outs when lots of sounds are being played like during DD runs. However, I understand that was a known issue with the program and the limited number of sound channels available.
Old 11-20-08, 09:41 AM   #5
Nate8thcvi
Watch

Downloads: 26

Thanks, everybody, for your input - unfortunately, I still can't get it to work. I even uninstalled DOSBox 0.63 and went to 0.72, and nothing. Now I'm starting to wonder if it is something to do with my own soundcard (SB Audigy), but I have no idea how to fix it.

Are there any really simple sound solutions I may be overlooking besides making sure everything is "unmuted" in the sound properties?

Thanks,
Nate
Nate8thcvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 09:50 AM   #6
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

I am sure I had an audigy in my previous PC where it worked fine and very old drivers.

You know that AOD has sound volume controls? Make sure don't simply have the sound turned down. Also, there is AOD program called SOUNDSET that you need to run to enable sound. Try selecting the most basic card ... just an SB and see what happens.

Send me a PM and I might have more stuff to try.
Old 11-20-08, 09:53 AM   #7
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

CTRL+M

Alt+] or [

Ctrl+] or [

Also, check sound control panel and made sure you have the MIDI slider turned up.
Old 09-23-13, 09:41 PM   #8
Mars Mullo
Swabbie

I have the original AOD inthe box with flppy disks and books. But he floppy disks have been corrupted and I have no computer with a 4 1/4 inch disk drive so can't use it anymore.

however because I love this game I downloaded it and tried to run it in Windows 8 on DOSBOX 0.72 (?)

I had the following probems which seem to be typical of 90% of th efree downloads and paid downloads on the web:

Sound would not play

Game would only save in port and not at sea.

After hours of internet browsing I found results which worked..

They were..

For sound the soundset.ex would not work.. it couldn't find allthe files to run properly. It did at least tell you hwt thier names were.
I serched them and copied versions from another microprose game and discovered they were in fact in the game under the SOUND folder.
So you need only copy those variouse *.HMP and files into the AOD directory with the SOundset.exe file and it will run.
once i did this the soundset.exe application worked and the sound played in the game.

For the message about not being able to save in the game I found a refernce to a french language forum and it pointed out ther was tw folders for saving.. one for in port and the other under the SIM folder. Which I found was missing in many ofthe free downloads.

So all you need do is create a folder called SAVE under te SIM folder and opolate it with HIST001.SAV through to HIST020.SAve blank files and hte save feature all of a sudden works. I did however look through about five free download versions and one which I had (which was not a zip file but a full 100+ MB download) had some save files. So I copied those and pasted them in.

And yes it all works well now.

hope this kind of helps..
Mars Mullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 09:51 PM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD!

I hope the Original Poster will see your message. The thread is five years old, but I checked his stats and while he hasn't posted in three years he did look at the forums about five months ago. Hopefully he will wander back in and try your fix.

Meanwhile, welcome to Subsim and I hope you take part more in our forums.
Old 09-24-13, 02:03 AM   #10
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Welcome aboard, Mars!
Old 09-24-13, 04:34 AM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Welcome aboard Mars Mullo; I've answered a few oldies myself and you never know, they suddenly return from the murky depths of cyberspace and announce they're BACK...And Sailor Steve (kudos) is the only one who remembers 'em! as with the return to the fold of Herr Maddysad yesterday!! Fabulous post Herr Nippelspanner! Both poetic and artistically!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote