SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-22-21, 12:44 PM   #1
Unclelevi
Watch

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Default Need help loading game

I was given a brand new SH 4 pack which , in addition to the SH 4 disc, also includes Naval Combat pack, (4 discs) and a SH 4 Bonus disc. I have Windows 10 on my desk top computer. Is there a way I can run these programs ? Seems like too good a set just to throw away. Thanks for any help I can get. Mike
Unclelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 04:03 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclelevi View Post
I was given a brand new SH 4 pack which , in addition to the SH 4 disc, also includes Naval Combat pack, (4 discs) and a SH 4 Bonus disc. I have Windows 10 on my desk top computer. Is there a way I can run these programs ? Seems like too good a set just to throw away. Thanks for any help I can get. Mike
Have SH4 (through Steam & Ubi) & have it installed on a Win 10 Pro desktop computer.. & it plays just fine.

main thing I would stress, in going to install SH4 on your computer... Avoid C:\Program files ... OR C:\Program Files (x86) ... as these are iron fisted by Windows UAC, to NOT allow tampering with files in those areas. Which, is what it will see your adding in mods as... an attempt to tamper... even though this is something you want to do & to have done.

Best advice... create a folder in C:\ itself.. like:

C:\Games\SilentHunter4\pristine

Then install it to that folder & run that... 1 time only, Vasily... ( sorry, My quirky humor cropping up... & I love the movie The hunt for Red October *the only Clancy novel that Dummywood, got right*) so that everything sets up as it should... once that is done... leave that copy alone as your go to, so as to make copies from to then mod as you see fit in newly created folders in C:\Games\SilentHunter4\SH4(insert mod name here, no spacing), to leave the pristine copy, just that... pristine.

After that, create a new folder named to what mega mod you might want to go with... say... Fall of the Rising Sun. Copy the guts from your pristine install & paste them into that folder... & you are free & clear to mod to your hearts content... making sure to add in there, jsgme for mod activation, making it easy to add or remove mods... & multish4 to steer your game saves for that mod set, away from the pristine sh4 game save folder...

Hope this info helps...

Best to you & if you need further info, don't hesitate to give a shout... & make sure to give as much info to assist in resolving the issue you may be facing... m'kay...

M. M.

Old 06-25-21, 09:49 AM   #3
Unclelevi
Watch

Downloads: 12
Default Won't run

These discs seem to install OK , but they won't open the games. The Box says they're for XP. I used to have SH 4 on my computer (I got it from an on line download) but it crashed and it's gone now. Thought this package would do it for me, but no dice. Any way to run XP programs on Windows 10 ?
l
Unclelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-21, 10:49 AM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclelevi View Post
These discs seem to install OK , but they won't open the games. The Box says they're for XP. I used to have SH 4 on my computer (I got it from an on line download) but it crashed and it's gone now. Thought this package would do it for me, but no dice. Any way to run XP programs on Windows 10 ?
l
Ok, am hoping you haven't added in any mods yet...

As this is best done after you have initially installed the game.

1st off, you did follow the recommended advice in not installing per My initial post... Yes.? That is 1st & foremost important.

If you followed that advice there, then the next step would be to run it, so that it can finalize installation.. meaning the 3DX & all it's subsequent related items it needs for the game to run.

Did you try & start the game, after install. ?

If yes, then the next step would be, to right click on the SH4.exe, then select from the pop up menu the 'properties' option there.

On that opening up, it should look like this :

k, now having that open... look for near the bottom of the properties page (after selecting the 'General' tab in properties) 'Attributes'

If the box Read-only, is check marked, then you will want to uncheck it, then click on apply (which with unchecking that box will auto highlight that option there.)

After having completed that step, you will then want to click on the 'Compatability tab'. Which should look similar to what I see with My own after opening up properties for the .exe as shown here:

Once in this section, what you will then want to look for is where it states 'Compatibility mode'. There, you should see a check mark box for 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:'

check mark that box & you can then select for it to run in any compatibility mode from ''Windows 8, all the way back to Windows 95'' at least that is what is listed there on My opening up that selection menu for Mine.

I would assume that should be the available options for you when you go to choose what mode of compatibility for your copy of SH4 to run in.

If I am understanding you correctly here.. the source you have for SH4 that you now have installed, states that it is for use on a system running XP.. if so, then the mode you would want to select here, best guess... would be XP.

After choosing that, the next I would say of check marking would be 'Run this program as an administrator'

Normally, you shouldn't have to, if you are the only 1 using your computer... but... sometimes, your own computer will be stubborn & not even recognize that you are indeed the admin to it...

I know, strange, sad... but... unfortunately, true... go figure.

Check marking that, will tell your system, hey dummy... they are an admin so run it in this mode now... (sorry, My weird quirky humor showing up here.. )

After check marking those 2 boxes here... & selecting what compatibility mode to run with... the final step here is clicking on Apply 1st here... then ok... as with this you should be done.

There are steps to setting new DPI settings, but... those are recommended of altering or adjusting, as the case may be, only... if you are experiencing issues that relate to that area... & which I shall defer to those more, knowledgeable of doing that... as I am not knowledgeable in that area.

1 such person, that is fairly well knowing of adjustments to make in that area that I know of, is propbeanie... I am fairly sure that He, would not mind walking you through the process there.. & can explain & show you info on what to look for to know if you are dealing with issues related to that area in the properties.

At any rate, hopefully this info helps..

M. M.

Old 06-26-21, 02:20 AM   #5
wade88
Swabbie

Downloads: 31

I had to run in comptability mode, Vista SP2 specifically.
Old 06-26-21, 12:52 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade88 View Post
I had to run in comptability mode, Vista SP2 specifically.
Ahoy, wade88...

Have seen others mention that hitting it up with Win 8, did the trick, as well as Win 7, I believe, iirc on that... I'd say try from the beginning of the compatibility list for modes & find what 1 allows for the game to run, as it should & then just stick with that mode. Glad for you that Vista mode, did the trick.

For Me, I got lucky right out of the box & have been able to run it with Win 10, with very few if any issues thus far, to date. *knocks on wood*

M. M.