SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-05-21, 08:36 PM   #16
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 241
Uploads: 0

Other things to check, especially if UAC is blocking things - check that you have admin rights in your profile. There have been instances where Win10 updates take away admin rights - and if you only have the one account, you'll have to boot into safe mode, go into the recovery environment, enable the built in admin account, and then give your own account privileges again.

Two things all users starting of with Win10 should do is establish a local account with admin privileges (or better, install using only a local account to begin with) and then install software that prevents windows from automatically updating itself.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-21, 02:28 AM   #17
wade88
Swabbie

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I signed-up (having been a MS "Insider" at the time) for the Windows 10 previews, prior to the Release Candidates and "beta" versions. I really enjoyed their initial releases. I did the same thing for Windows 2000 and XP back in the day, but did not have enough time during either Windows 7 nor 8 to do the same. So I have an MS account, which automatically links all of my various copies of Windows 10 (two desktops, 1 laptop of mine, plus the 2 boys' computers), which is why I am basically stuck with that sign-in. My boys do not have the issue, since they use Local accounts. Such is life. I do still have a "Preview" version on the one computer, and I do still enjoy the "bleeding edge" of the OS game, though I can no longer afford the latest/greatest new hardware that I used to stay up with back in the 486 DX2-66 to Pentium days... - I do not "bad-mouth" Windows as much as I do Apple or even Linux anymore... - That is a good link there, and there are even several good articles and threads on some of the MS sites, of which I don't have any links to at this time... but you do have to wade through some of the pages of "automatic" replies there anyway... A person with multiple Win10 installs with MS account sign-ins, does have to be careful when it comes to the Updates, especially on a Home install.
Does that system take Computer Names into account? I name all my NETBIOS or whatever different things to make home backups easier, does M$FT include these in the filenames?
Old 09-25-21, 12:18 PM   #18
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Win10 has been messing with me also lately. When using MultiSH4, the folder created for the Saved games don't always end up in the Documents folder, and are sometimes found in the root of the C drive. A few days later, OneDrive syncs, and presto-change-oh, there the folder is, in the Documents folder. Very strange, but only since I've gotten the "new" Windows... Messed with all of my web sessions also, change my program associations (again), and deleted stuff that I apparently didn't need anymore... extremely rude behavior.

But anyway, what I've been finding is that I have had to change the settings of the SH4.exe properties page more lately. I used to get by with none, or maybe one of the boxes ticked, depending upon the computer. Now I have to tick all of these on the one:

I never had to do the "Compatibility" before, but the new desktop machine I have now requires that, set to Windows 7. The laptop doesn't. Then there is the "Disable full-screen optimizations", which I now have to use on two of three computers, both of which have relatively new nVidia cards - but nothing fancy. The "Run this program as an administrator" is only needed on the laptop for whatever reason, and it does increase the UAC (User Access Control) interruptions much more frequently, but you do what you gotta do. Last, but certainly not least, I have had to click on the "Change high DPI settings" button on the same two desktops, and then click "Overide high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: Application". Three computers, all three set differently now than before, and no two alike, all three intel...

It is easiest to get SH4 running if you set Windows to use the "native" resolution of your monitor, which windows will show as "Recommended". Then in the game, set it to the same resolution. The main fix for my newer computer is the "Disable full-screen optimizations", because Windows otherwise tries to makes things "prettier" and "in-focus"... which the game does that itself. But you'll have to experiment with them all. If all else fails, you could try to open the Data/ Cfg / Main.cfg file in a text editor, and set the resolution in there to match your computer:
[VIDEO]
Resolution=1920,1080,60,22
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=Yes
TextureResolutionHigh=Yes
Or even try setting the FullScreen=No

Still do what KaleunMarco suggests though...
I rarely use win10 because I hate it, I tried running SH4, I get the nothing, no error ect. When I right click on the icon or the sh4.exe I don't get the properties screen like that with the compatibility tab! Suggestions? I used to have the compatibility tab. but its not there now. How do I make sure I'm the administrator? I'm guessing at this point I must not be, i don't understand why i wouldn't be cause I'm the only one on that POS 10 machine.

EDIT EDIT: I figured out I am the administrator and for some reason i had to left click on the .exe before i right clicked on it, then I got the proper tab! Man I hate 10. Now to try this all out.

EDIT again, no joy for me. Of course i have it installed in the default folder, guess I'll try uninstalling and putting it in another folder as always suggested.

Last edited by 1Patriotofmany; 09-25-21 at 12:39 PM.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 12:55 PM   #19
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
I rarely use win10 because I hate it, I tried running SH4, I get the nothing, no error ect. When I right click on the icon or the sh4.exe I don't get the properties screen like that with the compatibility tab! Suggestions? I used to have the compatibility tab. but its not there now. How do I make sure I'm the administrator? I'm guessing at this point I must not be, i don't understand why i wouldn't be cause I'm the only one on that POS 10 machine.

EDIT EDIT: I figured out I am the administrator and for some reason i had to left click on the .exe before i right clicked on it, then I got the proper tab! Man I hate 10. Now to try this all out.

EDIT again, no joy for me. Of course i have it installed in the default folder, guess I'll try uninstalling and putting it in another folder as always suggested.
you're on the right track.
after re-installing in a non-default folder, change the SH4.exe property to not-read-only (uncheck the read-only box).
then, run LAA and enable SH4 under LAA.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-21, 03:09 AM   #20
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Thanks KaleunMarco I will give it a shot. Just before I pull out a M590A1 and take a shot at the win10 machine......
Old 10-24-21, 01:48 AM   #21
Mechac
Nub

Downloads: 15

Weird. Defender protested redbannery against launching the game, but applying LAA seems to worked it out.
Oh Microsoft....
Mechac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 12:21 AM   #22
NZSharkbait
Seaman

Downloads: 17
wolf_howl15

Having just treated myself to a new PC (see below), I downloaded and attempted to install the SH 4 1.4 patch: blowed if I didn't encounter that same confounded "Administrator Blocked" nonsense. (Typical Windows, making life harder for ordinary users by adding extra garbage)

I went through the steps outlined on this page : using the "Run the app/file via Hidden Administrator Account", I was able to install the file and, having installed SH 4 from the disc, right now there are no problems starting/running the game through the shortcut on my desktop.

Still, to make doubly sure that Microsoft don't screw up the game in future, I'm going to uninstall and reinstall SH 4 & patch 1.4 into a discrete folder on a different partition.

Kaigun: Imperial Japanese Navy webpage.

MSI B560M PRO-VHD Wifi/ Intel i3-10105F 3.7GHz/ 32Mb RAM/ Nvidia GTX 1660 Super OS Win 10-64
NZSharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 12:29 PM   #23
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Which version of Silent Hunter 4 are you starting with? If you have the most common older disk version, that would v1.3, the 'original' was like v1.0.1 or similar, while the 'modern' version is of course, v1.5 - do not attempt to apply the SH4 1.4 patch on top of v1.5, of course. The others, it's fine. Just checking though...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-21, 12:14 PM   #24
1Patriotofmany
Commander

This about sums it up. https://imgur.com/5WEqYoL
Old 11-15-21, 11:44 PM   #25
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Oh my... you left two here - I think I'll copy one of those for my wall hanging here... lol - That is exactly what happens when you have a Win10 machine that is not "qualified" for Windows 11, but tries to "update" to it anyway... not once, but three times now... at least it now shows in red text on the Update page "This computer does NOT qualify for Windows 11 at this time."

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-21, 07:26 PM   #26
babjones
Swabbie

Downloads: 63

same issue, I reinstalled windows. then steam allowed the DL to go through without errors. now I can play again.
babjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-21, 08:37 PM   #27
gandyrail
Watch

Downloads: 117

I was having the administrator issue ran the "large program aware" program again and it went away.
Also the permissions in propertys I dissabled the inheritance.
Old 04-28-22, 06:35 AM   #28
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Default SH4 won't start after Win10 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
c6owboy! after a long silent run!
I'm sure you have a relevant comment but that "Lime" text color makes it impossible for me to read. It may be that I am color blind to Red/Green, but that Lime text blends into my white backrground making it look like a green smear.

Down Periscope ---
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-22, 11:34 AM   #29
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

cool red white & blue

I'm so sorry! i apologise profusely. I'm totally blind since birth and have surgically implanted digital retinas that react better to green than the slightly grayish white lettering against a 'smartdark' background as opposed to 'white-white' which I prefer but, unfortunately, it gives me migraines...the same as those Goddamn blue headlights at night that ended my 17 year patrol career!! https://www.gaddisherd.com/blog/2021...are-dangerous/

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-28-22 at 11:42 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-22, 07:37 AM   #30
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Default re: SH4 won't start after recent Win10 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by billkunert View Post
SH4 is in C:\UbiSoft\Silent Hunter 4. I changed the resolution in Cfg to match my computer, fiddled with the SH4.exe property settings(compatibility, etc. Still doesn't even try to start. Every thing worked fine until Microsoft installed a second March cumulative update KB5001649 on the 23rd.. I guess I could try removing that update and see what happens. I can't believe I'm the only person having this problem.

I removed KB5001649 - still doesn't work.

Went into config and set resolution 10 1024X768 and it starts. Set to 1920X1080 in game options and I'm up and running.

1st, you are not the only one having this problem! There are at least 2 of us and likely more. I am getting the old Red Box that says, "User Acct Control
This App has been blocked for your protection by another Administrator.

Check with yiour Administrator."

It then lists the location of my game files which is in C:\WOTP.

I'm still looking for a fix - when I search for this error I get pages and pages of links which I am still going through.

Good luck with your issue! It's guaranteed someone on this list will share the answer - don't give up!

l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote