Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-11, 08:54 PM   #1
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default A P-51 overtook my Me-262 WHAT?!?!

In real life, the Me-262 was pretty much untouchable in the sky. It was 100 Kph faster than the fastest propeller driven airplanes. Only a few were shot down shile airborne. The best way to get rid off them was by shooting them down when they were taking off or landing or by destroying them while on the ground.

In Il-2 1946, flying the Me-262 against an allied bomber formation, I get my ass handed to P-51Ds. They climb faster than me, accelerate faster than me, turn faster than me...

And the most hilarious part is that they can overtake me!!! Even though IL-2 Compare states that the Me-262's top speed is about 200 Kph faster than the P-51D's.
Those speeds, however, are only, and theoretically, reached with the engines working at 100% power, which is unsustainable.
In the Me-262, the engines can work at 80% undefinitely (or at least for a time longer than my longest flight on the 262).
At 90% they can work for about 10 to 15 minutes before overheating.
But at 95-100%, they can only work for a maximum of 5 minutes before overheating.
To worsen things, the AI has the mysterious ability to operate it's engines at full power for extended periods of time without overheating them.

With all this, the enemy P-51s can fast enough to close in on me, take a few long shots and damage my fragile engines, forcing me to bail out.

And if I get a P-51 on my six at close range, I can consider myself shot down, because they can catch up with me on dives, climbs, turns.... there's no escape.
Loud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote