SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-20, 12:01 PM   #1
Nhysalotep
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
bullhorn Wolves of Steel descriptions missing

Hi all, this is the first thread I've made and I apologize if I have put it in the wrong place.

I recently got TWoS to finally run without crashing on my computer (Turns out it's a known issue that Uplay doesn't like to cooperate, who would have thought) but now I have an issue which makes me unable to actually play any missions.

Quite simply, descriptions of items, missions and other text parts are not displaying, instead shwoing the code line that would be linking them to said description, making it impossible to know what it's supposed to do.
See attatched files for examples of things just not showing up.

If any of you are able to help me solve this issue I would be most appreciative - I have already tried reinstalling from scratch to no avail, I have indeed reloaded after starting the campaign, so i'm totally stumped on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one.jpg (10.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg unknown (1).jpg (5.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg unknown.jpg (7.7 KB, 16 views)
Nhysalotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 10:52 AM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

JSGME modlist (Screenshot) ? Game install location? Official install instructions checked?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 12:44 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community >Nhysalotap
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 11:53 AM   #4
Nhysalotep
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
JSGME modlist (Screenshot) ? Game install location? Official install instructions checked?
I only have the base mod installed, JSGME is not going to help but here it is anyway.

The game is installed in the default location, C drive. specifically the root folder is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 5.

And yes, I made sure to follow the instructions to the letter. I've reinstalled it from scratch so many times trying to get it to work at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JSGME.jpg (17.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-30-20, 02:07 PM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhysalotep View Post
I only have the base mod installed, JSGME is not going to help but here it is anyway.

The game is installed in the default location, C drive. specifically the root folder is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 5.

And yes, I made sure to follow the instructions to the letter. I've reinstalled it from scratch so many times trying to get it to work at all.
Try to reinstall the game to a different location on your hard drive, D for example. Don't know what else I can suggest...Update your Direct X as well.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 02:20 PM   #6
Nhysalotep
Swabbie

Thank you all for your suggestions, it worked after the 13th attempt - it turns out there was an issue with the installer itself, redownloading that and trying again fixed it!
Old 03-30-20, 05:27 PM   #7
Nhysalotep
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhysalotep View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions, it worked after the 13th attempt - it turns out there was an issue with the installer itself, redownloading that and trying again fixed it!
Regrettably, that's not the end after all. The game crashed, and the issue has come back again.
I already reinstalled it once after this exact same issue earlier, Please for the love of all that is holy, tell me I don't have to completely reinstall the game from scratch every time it crashes.

edit: I've found another way to replicate this bug, by not deleting the SH5 folder in the "Games" folder when reinstalling. Hope that helps, because I'm about to just give up and not bother playing the game with how much hassle it is, I've had to reinstall more than twenty times in total trying various things to get it to work. if I have to reinstall every single time it crashes, i really don't think it's worth it.
I'm going to go ahead and blame Ubisoft for this, as I bet steam users don't have anywhere near as many issues as I'm having.

Last edited by Nhysalotep; 03-30-20 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-31-20, 05:39 AM   #8
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi N
Do not install the game in the Programs (x86) Files folder as this is a restricted directory.
Update SH5 From v1.0.5.0 To v1.2.0 Immediately After Installing > Pictorial
Install in this path C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5
Your Uplay download will need this fix.
Uplay Download Version Fix For SH5 And TWoS > Pictorial
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote