SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-05-20, 02:26 AM   #1
Jetguy06
Seaman

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default All Saves Suddenly Cause CTD

Hey guys. I started a career in December of '41, and am now just after Dec 7, '42. A year of sailing and sinking in ships in game, and I just had a patrol with ~24,000 tons of shipping sunk.

I came home to Brisbane, but the game crashed when entering port. No problem... I've read about this, and experienced it myself, so I saved far outside the port for just such an occasion. I tried about four or five different times to enter Brisbane to end my patrol, but the game would crash before the anchor icon would come up.

Now, all of a sudden, that save game file won't load at all. I get the message: No Mission, Too Difficult... you know... the loading screen... then BAM, back to desktop.

Ok, so that file is done for, but I have plenty of good save files from this patrol. I never overwrite saves, and all the previous ones had loaded with no problems in the past. But now, ALL of them cause a CTD when I try to load them.

What is going on? This is infuriating!

My mods list, in order of activation:

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRD_TMO_V502
RSRD_V5xx_Patch1
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_US Radar from Start for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC for 8.5 to 4.8 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC_OTC
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1360x)
Bigger Better Protractors

Again, I never overwrite my saves, and they were working fine until this recent one went all psycho on me. Please help!

Thanks!
Jetguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 09:44 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy06 View Post
Hey guys. I started a career in December of '41, and am now just after Dec 7, '42. A year of sailing and sinking in ships in game, and I just had a patrol with ~24,000 tons of shipping sunk.

I came home to Brisbane, but the game crashed when entering port. No problem... I've read about this, and experienced it myself, so I saved far outside the port for just such an occasion. I tried about four or five different times to enter Brisbane to end my patrol, but the game would crash before the anchor icon would come up.

Now, all of a sudden, that save game file won't load at all. I get the message: No Mission, Too Difficult... you know... the loading screen... then BAM, back to desktop.

Ok, so that file is done for, but I have plenty of good save files from this patrol. I never overwrite saves, and all the previous ones had loaded with no problems in the past. But now, ALL of them cause a CTD when I try to load them.

What is going on? This is infuriating!

My mods list, in order of activation:

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRD_TMO_V502
RSRD_V5xx_Patch1
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_US Radar from Start for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC for 8.5 to 4.8 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC_OTC
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1360x)
Bigger Better Protractors

Again, I never overwrite my saves, and they were working fine until this recent one went all psycho on me. Please help!

Thanks!
well, jetguy, you seem to have hit the high points so i'll ask some subtle questions:
  1. did you make any changes to the mods during your latest mission, like in between saves? this is a no-no. if you did make changes between missions, then you need to restart your mission.
  2. are you using LAA (Large Address Aware)? if not, then install it, activate it according to the directions, reboot, and try to reload your mission. SH4 uses a lot of memory and your modset only increases the load. LAA allows SH4 to use more of your available memory. when you install it you can read the documentation for more details.
    if you have installed LAA, try rebooting. Windows does not always properly release memory so your system may have fragmented RAM with all of the CTD's-reload attempts. rebooting will give you a fresh slate.

i'll look at my old notes to see what else i have done in the past when i encountered the same thing.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 09:51 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Bad Saves are caused by corrupt data ("Thank you Captain Obvious!") - but bad data can happen in all sorts of ways in the wonderful world of Silent Hunter vX (designating any version of the game). With SH4, the more mods, the more the game has loaded at any given time, which then necessitates the use of a "memory" app, such as the 4 gig patch or Large Address Aware (LAA). Of the latter, CapnScurvy has a thread "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" that delves deeply into the subjects of a Windows 10 install, an SH4 install in that, activating a mod (FotRSU in this case), proper care of the Save folder, and the use of LAA. Good stuff that is highly recommended. The same technique can be applied to any version of 64-bit Windows from Vista to Win10, with just slight alterations to the technique. That would be my first guess of your troubles, but also, if after activating your mod list, you hadn't deleted the Save folder prior to starting SH4 with TMO RSRDC OTC, then you have bad data in your Save folder to begin with, which might not cause trouble for a while, but eventually will. As a side-note: with RSRDC activated on top of TMO, you don't need the TMO Small Patch, since RSRDC overwrites the problem corrected by it. Also, the 3000 yd bearing tool can be slightly resource intensive on some computers, due to its graphics. Are you using a laptop? You might be able to recover a bit of your career by doing as succerpunch quoted in post #4 of ""Cannot comply" at mission start". You could also try changing your computer's response to High DPI Scaling, which I cannot find the most recent posting of it... and I see that KaleunMarco is a more succinct "talker", and therefore faster poster than I are... "LAA" is indeed the one to check first!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 01:48 PM   #4
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

One approach that has worked on occasion is to start a game, either a new one or a valid save, play an intensive section if possible, then try loading the target save in mid-play. This may take multiple attempts, up to ten IIRC, but it has been successful.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 08:10 AM   #5
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I've encountered this often and even in the current career. It's an OM run and after the 6th or 7th patrol all saves, from any patrol in the career, failed to load and resulted in a CTD. Even saves that had previously loaded fine.

It's an odd quirk with Silent Hunter and my experience reminds me of the swamp castle scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail. Some won't know what I'm talking about, but if it pops up on Netflix give it a go. Here's the bit..

Listen, lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up! And that's what you're gonna get, lad: the strongest castle in these lands.

Haha, but what I'm getting at is I've had success in these situations, by just continuing to fail until I don't. Many times I've saved a career by just not giving up, and after a while it does not crash to desktop and loads. No one wants to spend all that time continually reloading the game and then the save again. But sometimes it does indeed work. SH4 is strange.

Another thing that's worked for me is to start a new career, and let it load in to the 3D. Once done, exit and try the previously broken save and see if it works.

And as advised, LAA is a requirement for any significant SH4 mod.
Old 04-07-20, 11:19 AM   #6
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

What I would do is delete all your save games, delete your whole SH4 save game folder. Then the game will create a new one when you start it again. That way we can clear out any corrupt save games. If it still crashes, I'm of no use then.
Sucks to lose your whole career.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 09:02 PM   #7
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366

I had the same situation, I would sail out of Pearl Harbor on my third patrol. I usually save about one hundred fifty nautical miles from my home port. When I loaded the 'save', the game would CTD. Sometimes I would the load prior save and go to the objective assigned to. But when I saved it would CTD.. Re-install SH4 from my CD, make all the necessary settings and start a new career. Same thing happened again until I read a post from TorpedoBait SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > Windows 10 Issue post #5.

1. Right click on the SH4 shortcut or SH4.exe;
2. Click on Properties;
3. Click on the Compatibility Tab;
4. Click on the "Change high DPI Settings" button
5. Check the box at the bottom ("Override high DPI Scaling behavior. Scaling performed by Application")
6. Click the OK buttons (both of them) to save the new setting.
7. Try starting SH4 again.

After making the changes, I loaded the save that wouldn't work before. I was able to continue on like nothing happened. I put this in my notes when I perform a new install. If you try this, I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

Good luck,
Larry
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 01:45 PM   #8
Jetguy06
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb57 View Post
I had the same situation, I would sail out of Pearl Harbor on my third patrol. I usually save about one hundred fifty nautical miles from my home port. When I loaded the 'save', the game would CTD. Sometimes I would the load prior save and go to the objective assigned to. But when I saved it would CTD.. Re-install SH4 from my CD, make all the necessary settings and start a new career. Same thing happened again until I read a post from TorpedoBait SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > Windows 10 Issue post #5.

1. Right click on the SH4 shortcut or SH4.exe;
2. Click on Properties;
3. Click on the Compatibility Tab;
4. Click on the "Change high DPI Settings" button
5. Check the box at the bottom ("Override high DPI Scaling behavior. Scaling performed by Application")
6. Click the OK buttons (both of them) to save the new setting.
7. Try starting SH4 again.

After making the changes, I loaded the save that wouldn't work before. I was able to continue on like nothing happened. I put this in my notes when I perform a new install. If you try this, I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

Good luck,
Larry

I'm just about to try the Large Address installation after I post this reply, but when I right click on SH4.exe and go to properties, there is no Compatibility tab. There is General, Sharing, Security, Previous Versions, and Customize.

I'm running Windows 10 64bit.
Old 04-08-20, 01:55 PM   #9
Jetguy06
Seaman

Ok, so, starting a new career to play a bit before reloading the old saves doesn't work, because even with a new career, the game still crashes to desktop when it gets to 3d, same as with the old saves.
Old 04-08-20, 02:12 PM   #10
propbeanie

Have you done a re-install or something since your first post, Jetguy06? Look up in the Windows 10 and SH4 stickie thread up top of this section for kiwikid1940's post #135 and above, and see if any of those don't apply to you...

Old 04-08-20, 07:44 PM   #11
Jetguy06
Seaman

No, I haven't done any reinstalls at all.

However, if I uninstall, reinstall, and put my mods back in, while saving my save files to a temp folder, can I resume where I left off in my career in the reinstalled game?
Old 04-08-20, 08:41 PM   #12
propbeanie

Yes. I have done that. If you can get to the main menu of SH4, then copy down all of your settings under Options (not a necessity). Copy your entire Save folder over to a new location. Then take JSGME and do "Tasks..." and "Export activated mods list..." - if v2.6 it will have "... mods list to..." and you can choose text file or clipboard. If you use the clipboard, open notepad or similar and "paste" the clipboard in, then save it. If you use "file", copy that out somewhere safe also. Then de-activate your mods. Once done with that, copy that MODS folder where you put the Save folder. Then you can uninstall the game. Usually, it is not necessary to clean the registry unless the re-install does not work. If Windows says it could not clear all of the folders, then do a re-boot of the system, and re-install SH4. Start it up and input those settings you copied from the Options screens. Run a Stock single mission or something and make certain it is functioning as intended. If it does, exit, then empty the current (new) Save folder, then copy your old save folder over, then copy the MODS folder back, and re-activate the mods as in your ActivatedModsList.txt or whatever you called it, and see if that then runs... fingers are crossed, but I can't find my rabbit's foot - oop! there it is - good to go! Someone correct me if I told him wrong... One thing about it, if it doesn't work after re-activating the mods and copying the Save folder in, you can usually blame it on the Save folder.

Old 04-08-20, 10:03 PM   #13
Jetguy06
Seaman

Awesome! I thing I'm going to go that route because I just read another thread that may have shed some light on my problems.

My game is installed to C:/Program Filesx86/Steam...

When I reinstall it, I'm just going to put it into C:/Games/Steam...
Old 04-08-20, 11:08 PM   #14
propbeanie

Yes, that would be a better location. Now, your Save folder might not work with that change though - I cannot remember if there are references in the Save folder to the install folder, or if the "filemanager.dll" in the game handles it all... but you do need to move the install if you are going to do any modding.

Old 04-09-20, 08:42 AM   #15
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy06 View Post
Ok, so, starting a new career to play a bit before reloading the old saves doesn't work, because even with a new career, the game still crashes to desktop when it gets to 3d, same as with the old saves.

This suggests that the problem is not with the saves, but the install or something else perhaps. Setting the exe to LAA is crucial. Were you able to complete this?