SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-20, 06:49 PM   #1
Anita1986
Watch

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 5 crash after intro.

Okay, there is probably a billion post on this topic already but here is another one.

I have installed Silent Hunter 5 from Steam and when I launch the game, the intro movie appears in the upper left corner of the screen with no sound and I can't skip the intro. After the intro, the game crash and Uplay Launcher opens and I get the option to "Update" the game. I press "Update" and the into movie starts again in the upper left corner and after the intro, the game crash.

I have tried to set Uplay Launcher and sh5.exe as administrator but no change.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Anita1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 09:07 PM   #2
Anita1986
Watch

No one?

Guess I'm not gonna play this game after all :-(
Old 03-28-20, 07:42 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Did you install the DirectX that game with the game installer?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 09:13 AM   #4
Anita1986
Watch

Thanks for your reply but game installer? When you install the game with steam there is no DirectX that comes with it. Anyway, I have DirectX 9.0c installed from earlier.

I have tried to run Uplay and sh5.exe as administrator and I have tried to disable DPI AND changed the Compatibility mode on the sh5.exe to Windows 7, Vista and XP without any luck. Or, when I change the combability mode, the Intro changes from being played in the upper left corner to run fullscreen but the intro is flickering so I see both my desktop and game intro every second millisecond. But after the intro is over, the game closes and the Uplay game launcher opens again with the option to "Update" the game. When I press this, I get the same over again.

I can't believe that I'm the only one with this problem?
Old 03-28-20, 09:19 AM   #5
propbeanie

Well, THEBERBSTER has a thread here "SH5 <> TUTORIALS <>HOW TO DO IT <..." that was most helpful to me years ago with my Steam version. While some of the information is now "dated", there might be something in there to help, but you've apparently already been through most of that from what you've posted... For me, one of the "different" things about the Steam game was that I had to start it through the Steam app on my computer, log-in, then use the Steam short-cut in the Library. I did create a desktop short-cut - in Steam - after that to "streamline" the process, but it still starts through Steam and does its license checks...

Old 03-28-20, 09:35 AM   #6
Anita1986
Watch

I think I have DPI problem and many has stated to disable DPI setting which can be done here:

But I dont have this option in my sh5.exe

Mine this is a Norwegian Windows 10 but you can see that I dont have this option here.
Old 03-28-20, 09:38 AM   #7
Anita1986
Watch

Ahh, I found it now

PPT is the same as DPI
Old 03-28-20, 10:48 AM   #8
propbeanie

I was going to run through my SH5 settings on the Win10 machine real quickly, and post back with what my settings look like... Well, between Steam and Ubisoft, I just now got through all of each of their updates... -There was an update for Steam (again) and an update for UPlay (again), and UPlay 'forgot' my account, I forgot my password, etc. etc. etc., and while looking into which Windows 10 "build" I have (Version 1909 Build 18363.720), I see that Win10 is in the process of downloading an "Update"!!!... - but, for whatever reason, my "Compatibility" mode is set to "Windows XP SP2", and I do not remember if I changed that, or if the "Compatibility Troubleshooter" did that (it was probablty me)... The "Compatibility" and "Run as administrator" are the only two things I have checked in my "Properties" page, but I have onboard video on this computer, so more changes are unnecessary for this computer... I do not have issues like you describe on either the Win10 nor Win7 machine though. Hopefully, the DPI / PPT setting does it for you.