SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-20, 10:04 AM   #1
Ca[t White
Helmsman

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default Mission Editor/ Objectives

for some reason in the Mission editor, I'm unable to select Photo recon; does this feature work for SH4? I'm creating a mission where I have to take pictures of a Task Force but I can't select Photo Recon in the Mission editor for some reason.
Ca[t White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 10:41 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca[t White View Post
for some reason in the Mission editor, I'm unable to select Photo recon; does this feature work for SH4? I'm creating a mission where I have to take pictures of a Task Force but I can't select Photo Recon in the Mission editor for some reason.
hmmm. it must be a cadence thing.
your Objective should be created last.
create your Units and Map Zones, etc first. then create the Objective.
click add Objective, give it a name, it shows in the left panel (Objectives List). then you should be able to complete the remainder of the Objective, including the objective type (which Ubi did not label correctly).

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 10:42 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

How did you build your Group? Is it "scripted", where it shows up the same time no matter what? Does your submarine enter the scenario at the same time? Other than that, you need - without fail - a MapZone within which to take your pictures. It also works best if you match your PhotoValue to one-tenth of a particular ship inside of the group, such as in my set-up, I have chosen the Shokaku as the "target", just by using its RenownAwarded value as the basis for the "60 points" in the PhotoValue, and set the Threshold to "1", which I think can be zero also, and it should still work... If not, give a shout and I'll noodle some more. In s7rikeback's SH Mods Collection / Documents folder are a couple of mission editor tutorials, as well as an old v15 of the SH3 ME User's Manual, which is a very good resource. I have v17 of that somewhere on my hard drive I should have him upload... Let us know how you get along!

Ope - and KaleunMarco beat me to the punch again! It's probably the MapZone...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 11:30 AM   #4
Ca[t White
Helmsman

That's just it, How do I create a map zone? and do I create the Triggers, and events first before the objectives, and my player sub doesn't show in the game either; I've chosen the Gato class submarine and clicked the human control, but it doesn't show in the list in single missions. and I created the units and player sub.
Old 06-15-20, 11:57 AM   #5
propbeanie

It's all in the "details"... especially the dates.

For the MapZone, right-click on the ME map where you want the center of the MapZone to be, then choose "Create MapZone'. That is the only way to create one. After it's created, then you can choose it on the Explorer panel and edit it...

As for the Gato showing in the mission, both it and the Tambor can be strange about that, if you compare the date in the ME, with the date in the UPC file. The UPC is king though, so in this case, you need to be after April 1, 1942 ~and~ you have to allow time for travel to where your single mission is, so you might have to go with May 1, 1942 to be on the safe side:

Plus, you should use the "Mission / Language Localization" menu to add a Title and Briefing, maybe even change your '_ObjectiveName' to something more in-line with your Mission Briefing wording - but not too wordy. The Objective Name should be short and sweet, such as "Photograph Task Force report to be enroute" - and remove the "Delete on last waypoint" in the Properties page, else you all of a sudden disappear, especially if you only have one waypoint...

Old 06-15-20, 12:34 PM   #6
Ca[t White
Helmsman

This Is very helpful information this is my first time using the mission Editor feature; I also would like to end the Patrol returning to port at Midway Island is that possible to do in ME?
Old 06-15-20, 04:46 PM   #7
Ca[t White
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

For the MapZone, right-click on the ME map where you want the center of the MapZone to be, then choose "Create MapZone'. That is the only way to create one. After it's created, then you can choose it on the Explorer panel and edit it...

As for the Gato showing in the mission, both it and the Tambor can be strange about that, if you compare the date in the ME, with the date in the UPC file. The UPC is king though, so in this case, you need to be after April 1, 1942 ~and~ you have to allow time for travel to where your single mission is, so you might have to go with May 1, 1942 to be on the safe side:

Plus, you should use the "Mission / Language Localization" menu to add a Title and Briefing, maybe even change your '_ObjectiveName' to something more in-line with your Mission Briefing wording - but not too wordy. The Objective Name should be short and sweet, such as "Photograph Task Force report to be enroute" - and remove the "Delete on last waypoint" in the Properties page, else you all of a sudden disappear, especially if you only have one waypoint...

I changed the date in the UPC file, however, I'm unable to save the it I need permission to override when saving.
Old 06-15-20, 05:22 PM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I changed the date in the UPC file, however, I'm unable to save the it I need permission to override when saving.
before you can save you need to Validate your Mission and before you Validate, you need to tell the ME to ignore the fact that your sub is NOT part of the missions specs. don't yell at me...i found out the hard way just like you are.
when you are all finished (or think you are finished), go to Mission-Parameters. in the lower part of the message box there is a check box to Ignore Player Sub (or something like that). Check the box.
then, Mission-Validate Mission-Check Mission. if you did something that the ME doesnt like, an error message will display. otherwise nothing much displays. Now, Save.
good luck.

LAA enabled
Old 06-15-20, 07:11 PM   #9
Ca[t White
Helmsman

Quote:

Quote:
How did you build your Group? Is it "scripted", where it shows up the same time no matter what? Does your submarine enter the scenario at the same time? Other than that, you need - without fail - a MapZone within which to take your pictures. It also works best if you match your PhotoValue to one-tenth of a particular ship inside of the group, such as in my set-up, I have chosen the Shokaku as the "target", just by using its RenownAwarded value as the basis for the "60 points" in the PhotoValue, and set the Threshold to "1", which I think can be zero also, and it should still work... If not, give a shout and I'll noodle some more. In s7rikeback's SH Mods Collection / Documents folder are a couple of mission editor tutorials, as well as an old v15 of the SH3 ME User's Manual, which is a very good resource. I have v17 of that somewhere on my hard drive I should have him upload... Let us know how you get along!

How do you set the target ship?
Old 06-15-20, 07:37 PM   #10
Ca[t White
Helmsman

How close do I have to be in order to take a photo or for the camera indicator on the periscope to light up?
Old 06-16-20, 07:14 AM   #11
propbeanie

The "target" ship is set by the amount of points you use. Generally speaking, use 10% of the renown value of the ship, such that if you are awarded 600 renown points for sinking it, use 60 as the value. A DD then is not of sufficient value to "trip" the trigger of the Objective. You would think they would have something like the "Destroy Class" in the sinking ships stuff, but alas, they do not...

Anywhere you are inside of that MapZone you designate as the photo op area is "close enough". That could be 8nm (not a very 'detailed' image, I'm sure), or it could be a couple of hundred yards (don't get your periscope run over or seen). Generally speaking, setting it up for between 2.5 to 5 km works out well. One thing to remember though, is that the SH4 "Manual" on the game does not accurately depict what you encounter in the game itself, and the light does NOT light-up unless you are within the designated map zone ~and~ you are hovering over the menu button with your mouse. You also have to be on the full periscope view and looking through the periscope for the picture to "take". It will take some experimenting with your "value" set and your "threshold", since either number being off can make it impossible to fulfill the requirements. Unfortunately, the Mission Editor in SH4, very similarly to the SH3 version, was basically an after-thought, with the SH4 version not even getting a basic manual on how to do things... Try this guy, but allow for the differences in the SH3 and SH4 Mission Editor: MissionEditorManual.7z - I think that is v17... Dietrich from Nordfront was doing that.

Old 06-16-20, 01:21 PM   #12
Ca[t White
Helmsman

Does mission editor work with the TMO overhaul mod installed? and what does it mean if the ships are scripted?
Old 06-16-20, 03:11 PM   #13
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Does mission editor work with the TMO overhaul mod installed?
yes. the ME works with dotMIS files. it doesn't know or care which mega-mod they belong to.

Quote:
and what does it mean if the ships are scripted?
i have no idea what you mean by scripted ships. can you explain it differently?

LAA enabled
Old 06-16-20, 04:02 PM   #14
Ca[t White
Helmsman

Quote:

What do you mean by Scripted?
Old 06-16-20, 05:04 PM   #15
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
What do you mean by Scripted?
yeah, PB, i'd like to know what scripted means, too.

LAA enabled