SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-20, 09:04 AM   #16
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

This TV news report has a snippet from a surveillance/security camera across the street from the scene where George Floyd died; at about :28 into the report, Floyd is shown being walked by two police officers across the street to a police vehicle as they get to the car, it appears Floyd trips or slips on the edge of the sidewalk next to the vehicle; up to that point, Floyd is not seen giving any resistance to the officers as they usher him to the vehicle:

Note that Floyd falls on the sidewalk side of the vehicle, but the death scene is on the opposite side of the vehicle; it would be interesting to see what happened during the move to the other side of the cruiser. Regardless of what transpired during those moments moving from one side of the vehicle to the other, there is no excuse for the actions of four officers leading a single non-resistant person to a car to use force way out of scale to not only the nature of the alleged crime Floyd was being accused of but, also, towards a compliant suspect. The knee to the neck is reminiscent of the choke/sleeper holds police officers used to use until they were banned in almost all police jurisdictions; the knee to the neck has the same potentially lethal effects of the banned holds: constriction of breathing airways, blockage of major arteries in the neck, the preventing of blood flow to the brain. There are other newly posted videos on YT of the incident, including some police body cam footage, and all, so far, shows a rather routine, non-threatening sort of encounter; officers seem to be almost casual about the whole encounter up until Floyd falls off the curb of the sidewalk. There were two other persons in Floyd's car at the time of his arrest and even they are not resisting and are shown as being rather casual about the situation...

I support the police departments, but I am not blind to the fact there are those who wear the badge who shouldn't. Even among the ranks of the officers, there is a disdain for the rouge or corrupt officers who make it all the more difficult for the vast majority of good officers to do their jobs and gain the trust of those they serve. There is a unit in the LAPD called the Metro Squad that had a very less then stellar reputation; they moved from area to area of the city and were tasked with 'cleaning up' crime rises as they occurred; their tactics, ethics, and morals were the subject of much criticism both inside and outside the force; for decades patrol officers dreaded the appearance of Metro in their areas because Metro would swoop in, indulge in their heavy handed brand of "justice" and leave, leaving the patrol officers to have to deal with the negative fallout from Metros actions. Metro, now, is a whole different team; the ineffectual Police Chief at the time of the 1992 riots was given the boot and subsequent chiefs, notably Bill Bratton, who did a through cleansing and reorganization/modernization of the LAPD, have made the force more acceptable to LA citizens; the level of respect shown to the LAPD officers now is remarkable in contrast with the former levels of distrust and fear...

The time is long overdue for police agencies to face the reality that coddling bad officers is a disservice to the fine work done by the larger majority of good officers; the same goes for the police unions: the automatic, knee-jerk, all-in backing a blatantly bad officers serves no purpose other than the harm of the good officers they are supposed to represent...

<O>
Old 05-29-20, 12:22 PM   #17
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Old 05-29-20, 01:36 PM   #18
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

A police officer fired following the death of unarmed black man George Floyd in Minneapolis has been arrested and charged with murder and manslaughter.

Derek Chauvin is one of four police officers who were fired after Mr Floyd's death in custody on Monday.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52854025

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 02:14 PM   #19
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post

Ya know there could have been a chance at making some voices heard. But the corporate, political and media giants were quick to squash such ideas. The headlines made him out too unpatriotic or something wasn't it?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 02:35 PM   #20
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Ya know there could have been a chance at making some voices heard. But the corporate, political and media giants were quick to squash such ideas. The headlines made him out too unpatriotic or something wasn't it?

Kaperneck is just as wrong as the cop in my opinion and as they say two wrongs don't make a right.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 03:06 PM   #21
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Sure you may not agree with what he did. But thats not the argument. It seems nobody has really spent much time looking at the reason.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 03:25 PM   #22
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

This is my own opinion.

Whatever a person have done, s/he shall be treated with manner, during their arrestment. A police officer is not a judge or a executioner- He is educated to upheld the law and protect citizens
That's how I see it.

Secondly.

About this picture Platapus posted in his comment.

Same picture was shown in the Danish news yesterday, but with a different text, which I didn't manage to read to the end.

What I could read was something like.

- "If you are upset by this(this text was under the police picture..).and not this...(which was under the NFL-picture)"

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 07:46 PM   #23
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I agree. However, when good cops cover for bad cops, they are no longer good cops
I remember reading this once: Little is required for evil to prevail other than the good to stand by and do nothing. That's pretty much what you already said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
A police officer fired following the death of unarmed black man George Floyd in Minneapolis has been arrested and charged with murder and manslaughter.

Derek Chauvin is one of four police officers who were fired after Mr Floyd's death in custody on Monday.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52854025

Like most, I was expecting charges to be filed at the conclusion of this week. However, I was expecting formal charges against the 4 officers in the video for the role they played in the death of George Floyd. Chauvin was charged with 3rd degree murder and Manslaughter.

Another video has emerged, part of what Vienna posted the video too. It seems to show Derek Chauvin, Thomas Lane, Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kuengdown were holding Floyd down while George Floyd was already down, restrained and hardly a danger to anyone.

If there is any justice, charges will be leveled at the other 3 officers for their involvement in this murder.
Commander Wallace is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 08:23 PM   #24
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke (attrib)
Old 05-29-20, 09:51 PM   #25
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Protesters and anarchists in Atlanta swarm CNN (CNN?).

First video shows people massing

Second video shows they overwhelmed the police and rioted.

I suspect plenty of people enjoy rioting. Now the taxpayers have to pay for new police cars.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 10:23 PM   #26
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Exacerbated by being cooped up for two months no doubt.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 03:37 AM   #27
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

<O>
Old 05-30-20, 03:52 AM   #28
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260

I watched a few videos of the 'Protesters' I understand the protest but some were there just to cause trouble.

I mean setting fire to shops and smashing cars, what for?

I bet some of those car and shop owners and people who work there agreed with the protesters and were angry too, so why get at them.

Can you imagine one of them going home and asking what's for dinner and the reply was, "Nothing! I went to the shop to buy food but someone set it on fire."

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 05:41 AM   #29
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

It is now being reported on the radio that a protestor has been killed.

Quote:
A 19-year-old man has died after shots were fired into a crowd of people protesting against the death of unarmed black man George Floyd.
https://news.sky.com/story/george-fl...olent-11997198

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 06:20 AM   #30
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

"When the looting begins the shooting begins"

"A total lack of leadership. Either the very weak Radical Left Mayor, Jacob Frey, get his act together and bring the City under control, or I will send in the National Guard & get the job done right."

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
police, riots