SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-11, 03:33 AM   #1
buryatushka
Nub

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0
Default TEXTURING

Hello!Sorry for my English(I'am not English speaker).Guys,it's year 2011 already,let say your rain effect and surroundings are ****ty of optimisation,but how about general TEXTURING -are this guys artists at all?Can claim this firmly,caus I am yuor customer and professional 3D and 2D artist.Could you fix at list this cargos and merchant cruisers-they looks awfull with this "textures" and never closed vertecses in models.
buryatushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 08:09 AM   #2
buryatushka
Nub

Default TEXTURING+SOME MORE

Hello!Long Awaited Ship pack2-bla,bla,bla...Merchant cruisers and cargos look same ugly(actually they look, like they came from another game(RJW))Another annoing moment-all ship classes have same engine sound,which they have during the ship is sinking (instead of some crush sound effect)I am not pretend for developers change some gameplay issues(though of such long awaiting),but this spoons of ... are spoiling the whole barrel of honey.
Old 04-16-11, 10:21 PM   #3
cuppa
Watch

Downloads: 31

Norm Koeger is a programmer first and foremost and an "artist" fith or sixth place.
cuppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 04:50 PM   #4
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I do believe that someone else is doing the models for SES. However Norm does have an important role to play here, in that he has spent a lot of time optimizing the engine to run dozens of fairly detailed units in a 3D environment - as far as I am concerned, I am far more interested in the engine's overall performance than I am in the quality of individual unit textures. For a game where you spend 90% of the time looking at the action from a distance, I consider the ship models and textures more than adequate. If I were to put effort somewhere, it'd have to be environment graphics rather than textures.

Not that I don't think that textures couldn't be improved but, you know, I don't really care what year it is or what the general expectation is - if game art takes away SES' limited budget from the far more crucial ballistics, damage and AI development, then to hell with textures. That's the mistake that's made too often these days, and I have no issue with SES keeping the game's art modest.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 07:39 PM   #5
buryatushka
Nub

I'am an old strategic games player.And I would say,never pretended to expect from such games (mostly low budget) hi-end graphics.But SES's concern about things are look like,is somethig...May be they are compensating things with historical approach?Let see:

AMC Alsatian in game:

Real one:

AMC Arlanza in game:

Real one:

So?Probably,All of us are Navy History lovers,are we?How about guys from SES(I never adressed to Norm personally)?If I was British,I would be anxious about such stuff,caus it's JUTLAND-part of history.But SES were too busy with making American ships,sprikling their low budget in hope make fast money ,when it's still tones of work to be done with JUTLAND.
They just use the situation when other developers came for fast money in casual games,and their product is unic (for us -Navy fanatics)for now...
Old 08-17-11, 01:33 PM   #6
cuppa
Watch

Downloads: 31

I would like better graphics too but knowing who the developer was I never expected the latest and greatest in graphics quality. This is an indie developer and not Ubisoft.

Didn't you play the demo before buying? How can you complain about the graphics if you knew what they were like before purchase?
cuppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 05:42 PM   #7
jdkbph
Captain

Downloads: 104

The real question is how did they arrive at the brilliant conclusion that locking down the data files so that the game cannot be modded was in anyone's best interest... theirs included?

The control interface is a disaster... there's not much that can be done about that... but almost everything else that ails (plagues) this game could have been corrected and significantly enhanced by modders. That includes textures, 3d models, database errors, the faulty assumptions and bad research (that resulted in a severe case of Deutschland Uber Alles syndrome), etc., etc., etc.

There is no doubt in my mind.. and I suspect most of the folks who have been around this forum for a while and witnessed the evolution of SH3, SH4, and perhaps even SH5 (as well as numerous other mod friendly games such as Oblivion, the Total War series, etc.) would agree... that modding would have significantly enhanced interest in this game series and, by extension, sales. Instead they adopted the close minded approach and made everything proprietary... most likely in a misguided attempt to drive revenue through a series of zero effort "add-ons" such as the USN ship pack.

In my (very disappointed) humble opinion, of course.

JD
jdkbph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 07:49 PM   #8
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Agree with JDKBPH on this, I purchased the Divorce Pack, that is all the SES offerings and virtually everything he wrote is accurate in my opinion.

The SES philosophy that it is their way or the highway is obvious; from the horrible scenario editor, seemingly thrown in as an after thought to the execrable AI that is incapable of providing even the challenge of the SSI AI in the Great Naval Battle's series from the 1990's.

Sadly JUTLAND reeks of unfulfilled potential, the texture issues noted are only a very minor piece of the puzzle.