SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-20, 04:34 PM   #16
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Question Two is that the planes enter the scenario 8 clicks out, at 100 feet, flying at 132 knots, but as they approach, they climb in altitude, so I am thinking that they are trying to avoid flying into the flak??... I dunno... but they sure do burst into flames rather impressively...
THAT kind of flight path is very similar to our modern ACLM and SLCM flight pattern: come in low and then pop-up for the kill.

someone in Moravia is re-using code from a more modern sim.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-20, 04:37 PM   #17
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
FotRSU again... lol - the range has been shortened up though, so they do not shoot until close, like 1800 yards...

In the meantime, I ran my test mission a few more times, and most of them turn out like this:
what would it take to get one of those 5 inchers, without the turret of course, mounted on a sub?

it would be just like a DE mount, same weapon, just unprotected.

LAA enabled
Old 09-23-20, 06:22 PM   #18
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Aircraft can, and most certainly will, launch torpedoes in the stock game. Problem being the coding for them is wonky. After being dropped from the correct speed and altitude they will splash into the water as normal. Then things go south. Upon entering the water they will go very deep and then proceed to travel backwards for a bit before finally moving forward and at the correct depth. Real world behavior sees an aerial torpedo going down to 40ish feet before coming back up, game ones seem to go deeper than that.

Also in stock, only AI torpedo bombers, Bettys, and the player can launch torpedoes. Making surface untis launch them was a mod effort that came later.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-20, 09:43 PM   #19
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193
Uploads: 0

Makes me realise how much I miss SH4.
I've misplaced my CD...... maybe loaned it to someone, and haven't got it back.

Might have to hit up Steam.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-20, 10:16 PM   #20
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Been awhile but I remember adding planes not commonly used in the ME to RSRD and had planes drop torpedoes doing rather perfect runs and able to see and track them to the targets.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-20, 03:35 PM   #21
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
THAT kind of flight path is very similar to our modern ACLM and SLCM flight pattern: come in low and then pop-up for the kill.

someone in Moravia is re-using code from a more modern sim.
Well, the Bettys refuse to cooperate... I have taken the bombs completely off of them, leaving them a bunch of NULLs, with only a torpedo to use, and with the height set to 34 meters, they come in nice and low until the end, then pull up at the last for a dive bomb drop, leaving the torpedo in the bomb bay... We have re-done this dad-blamed rassin rother Betty 50 ways to Sunday, and it and the Judy do whatever it is that Ubisoft devs put into them, and thus far, that's been it... Even Kates refuse to drop against either the Fletcher, the New Jersey or any other US warship, the pilots apparently complaining about the wall of flack... so now I might try a Liberty ship or something with much fewer guns and see what they do... very disappointing, that even with the ships set to Competent, they kill all six "Expert" planes attacking rather handily, maybe taking a bomb every once in a while, until I took them away from the Betty's... now nothing... The Fletcher will shoot 18 torpedoes, while the planes drop none... sigh... Like ETR3(SS) says, they do drop them, you can see them drop, and when they "splash", you have a "real" topedo that may not run properly initially, but does run... Oh well. I am off to other testing though
Quote:
what would it take to get one of those 5 inchers, without the turret of course, mounted on a sub?

it would be just like a DE mount, same weapon, just unprotected.
There is a 5 incher (of sorts) in TMO and FotRSU, though it is a "clone" of the 4" gun, and uses 4" ammo... It is not currently used in FotRSU, and in TMO, it will be available for a time for the Tambor, stern-mount only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Aircraft can, and most certainly will, launch torpedoes in the stock game. Problem being the coding for them is wonky. After being dropped from the correct speed and altitude they will splash into the water as normal. Then things go south. Upon entering the water they will go very deep and then proceed to travel backwards for a bit before finally moving forward and at the correct depth. Real world behavior sees an aerial torpedo going down to 40ish feet before coming back up, game ones seem to go deeper than that.

Also in stock, only AI torpedo bombers, Bettys, and the player can launch torpedoes. Making surface untis launch them was a mod effort that came later.
Exactly. Probably the best "dropper" in the game is the ATB_USTorpeodBomber, just so long at there isn't too much AA for them either, because they are even slower than the Kate or Betty when dropping... I'm wondering about the Kate's config, in that it is named "ADB_..." but designated "Type=303", while the Betty is designtated a "Type=302" for a Dive Bomber, but will drop torpedoes, though sometimes rather strangely, as you describe. Here... The Kate usually does a better job of it than I'm seeing, but they are definitely taking it on the chin with the AA that a US Iowa Class or Fletcher Class can throw up... I'll eventually catch it on "video" for Bublehead1980... maybe... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 09:52 AM   #22
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:

Exactly. Probably the best "dropper" in the game is the ATB_USTorpeodBomber, just so long at there isn't too much AA for them either, because they are even slower than the Kate or Betty when dropping... I'm wondering about the Kate's config, in that it is named "ADB_..." but designated "Type=303", while the Betty is designtated a "Type=302" for a Dive Bomber, but will drop torpedoes, though sometimes rather strangely, as you describe. Here... The Kate usually does a better job of it than I'm seeing, but they are definitely taking it on the chin with the AA that a US Iowa Class or Fletcher Class can throw up... I'll eventually catch it on "video" for Bublehead1980... maybe... lol
I may be nuts, but I distinctly recall seeing single Bettys on several different occasions make what I think is a normal run at my boat in some earlier iteration of FOTRSU. Somewhere around 1,000 yards out, the low-flying Betty dropped a torp. I could see the splash after which the Betty would climb away turning to its port, and I could watch the torp barreling in on my boat from quite a ways out using the external (underwater) view. Because I cheated using the external view I was able to evade the torp by slowing, speeding up, or diving.

I haven't seen it lately because I have taken my orders to heart. I do run on the surface, but at first contact with any plane I dive to 100' or so, run slow, and wait until dark before coming back up. If they can't see you, they can't sheet you.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 12:15 PM   #23
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If I set-up a test mission with something that doesn't shoot back at them, that is what the Betty normally does, but when there is heavy AA fire, they shy away and won't attack "normally" like that... sigh. It makes filming an epic FotRSU intro movie a bit of a bother... lol - If you can get close enough to the plane when it drops, the bomb bay doors do not open, and the torp just appears from nowhere. Kind of like if you happen to catch a bomb drop from a plane, you'll see the bombs just materialize below the plane, and the bomb(s) you see attached on center- or wing-points stay. One of the vagaries of the game. "Secondary actions" is what they are. We're not supposed to be looking at all the pretty scenery up top anyway - we're translucent-skinned submarine skippers!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 01:26 PM   #24
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
we're translucent-skinned submarine skippers!
hey now, no need to be personally insulting!!!!

LAA enabled
Old 09-27-20, 12:38 PM   #25
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
If I set-up a test mission with something that doesn't shoot back at them, that is what the Betty normally does, but when there is heavy AA fire, they shy away and won't attack "normally" like that... sigh. It makes filming an epic FotRSU intro movie a bit of a bother... lol - If you can get close enough to the plane when it drops, the bomb bay doors do not open, and the torp just appears from nowhere. Kind of like if you happen to catch a bomb drop from a plane, you'll see the bombs just materialize below the plane, and the bomb(s) you see attached on center- or wing-points stay. One of the vagaries of the game. "Secondary actions" is what they are. We're not supposed to be looking at all the pretty scenery up top anyway - we're translucent-skinned submarine skippers!
I get it - see it or not, it will still kill me. But it is fun to watch it fall, splash, and come at me. it's much better to have it in the game - more exciting. Thanks!

Old 09-27-20, 12:39 PM   #26
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
hey now, no need to be personally insulting!!!!
You are one funny guy!