SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-17-06, 02:53 PM   #1
Captain Norman
Medic

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default A Canadian Request

I admit, I have no experience whatsoever when it comes to modding, mapping, and skinning in a game. But I do have a request for any of those kinds of people here on Subsim, if they wish to or not. I love Dangerous Waters, but I have become disappointed in something. The people at Sonalyst have added in just about every country in the world with a major navy except for Canada! I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to model some Canadians ships, for example some Halifax class frigates or even an Iroquois class destroy. If you even want to, although it isnt the best submarine, add in a few Canadian Victoria class submarines. If you could also do this as well, a controllable Halifax class frigate would be excellent as well.
Thanks always everyone. -Captain Norman
Old 05-27-06, 09:36 PM   #2
Captain Norman
Medic

Wow, no one has even replied to this topic, yet 37 people have viewed it.
Old 05-27-06, 10:00 PM   #3
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

A controllable Halifax isn't going to happen.

As for non playable models, I'm probably the only (semi-)active modeler making new ship models for DW (there are some Italian guys, but I haven't talked to them much). Everyone else is taking a break until some bugs are addressed by SCS, or have moved on to other things, or are just MIA.

Unfortunately I don’t know anyone active in the community who can convert .3ds models to .j3d, so everything I got on the table is on hold until someone with the capablities comes forward.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 03:20 AM   #4
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Adding new non-playable platforms and weapons to the database is very easy.

The difficulty comes in 1) having models for them 2) having missions that take advantage of the new platforms 3) making time to do such changes sensibly in the face of an otherwise very busy modding schedule (for two people).

Once the LWAMI Mod is about 85% done relative to the things that need to be addressed in dangerous waters, new platforms will become a very high priority, at least for me.

Cheers,
David
Old 05-29-06, 10:23 AM   #5
aaken
Planesman

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 1

Norman,
if you have drawings for the units you mentioned, let me know. I don't have any problem in making new models but I don't think I have drawings of Iroquois or Victoria or Halifax.
Old 05-29-06, 12:23 PM   #6
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaken
Norman,
if you have drawings for the units you mentioned, let me know. I don't have any problem in making new models but I don't think I have drawings of Iroquois or Victoria or Halifax.
AAken do you have the ablity to add the models to DW or just model them? If you do have the ablity to put in in game I'd like to talk to you about some models I have almost done, mostly Russian support ships. I would also like to discuss a "divison of labor" for DW models.

Old 05-29-06, 02:06 PM   #7
aaken
Planesman

Hi TLAM,
I can put the models in the game (i.e. I've got the converter).
I've done mostly italian ships (Sauro class SSK, Toti class SSK, U212A class SSK, 1 corvette class [Minerva class], 1 frigate class [Maestrale class], 1 missile destroyer class [De La Penne class], 1 carrier class [Cavour class]) but I've also done the spanish Galerna class SSK (i.e. french Agosta 90A class) and spanish F100 frigate, plus some assorted soviet ships (Nanutchka III, Slava, Typhoon, Oscar, Alfa, Ivan Rogov, Kilo but Typhoon and Oscar didn't come out extremely nice) and the Burke DDG.
Old 05-29-06, 02:49 PM   #8
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hi TLAM,
I can put the models in the game (i.e. I've got the converter).
I've done mostly italian ships (Sauro class SSK, Toti class SSK, U212A class SSK, 1 corvette class [Minerva class], 1 frigate class [Maestrale class], 1 missile destroyer class [De La Penne class], 1 carrier class [Cavour class]) but I've also done the spanish Galerna class SSK (i.e. french Agosta 90A class) and spanish F100 frigate, plus some assorted soviet ships (Nanutchka III, Slava, Typhoon, Oscar, Alfa, Ivan Rogov, Kilo but Typhoon and Oscar didn't come out extremely nice) and the Burke DDG.
Good!

I have a Lama Class Missile Transport-Tender done, Kolomna Class Cargo Ship half done, El'Brus Class Salvage and Rescue Ship half done, Amur Class Repair Ship, Atrek Class Submarine Support Ship, a generic Contaner Ship, a generic SEABEE, a T-4 Landing Craft about 1/4 the way done, and three resizes of DW stock models. Oh and although I didn't start making them for DW they can be converted; a Zulu SS (done), Whiskey SS and Twin Clyinder, several GUPPY class subs, and a California class CGN at different stages of constuction.

I use GMAX for modeling (with Lithunwrap for maping, 3D Exploreation for finishing, and Photoshop for painting). I can export to .3ds.

I got some ISP problems so I have to transfer files using IM systems (AIM is the only one I tried) and its real slow needing to start and stop transfers. So sending you the files will need some coordination.

There are some side views (not line drawings though) of those two Canadian ships here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois-class_destroyer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_class_frigate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_class_submarine

Living in New York I'm partial to the Canadian Navy (you can see them on Lake Ontario some times) so I wouldn't mind making one or two. I'm partial to the Halifax class frigate and could build that. Care to take the Iroquois?

LW looks like you might have a lot of work ahead of you once your done with all the work you got now.

Old 05-29-06, 03:44 PM   #9
aaken
Planesman

well, I can start the Victoria ssk and the Iroquois. You can send me the 3ds files via mail or msn if you have it.
Old 05-29-06, 05:46 PM   #10
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22

Have you thought to use (asking permission to the authors, of course), some SCXII models?

They made a lot, and very well-looking in my opinion.
Old 05-29-06, 06:43 PM   #11
Mau
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

Wow, I am in the Canadian Navy! Really looking forward to this!
If you need any more pictures or specs, let me know!
Mau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 07:20 PM   #12
Captain Norman
Medic

Quote:
Norman,
I dont have drawings, and unfortanately I have no experience in 3D modeling, but Wikipedia, if u enter Canadian Navy, has some excellent pictures of its ships.
Old 05-29-06, 07:52 PM   #13
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Hey aaken. Got any pictures of your work? Sounds interesting.

Last edited by LoBlo; 05-29-06 at 07:57 PM.
LoBlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 09:20 PM   #14
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Aaken the files are in the mail. They are not comming directly from me so reply by a PM or on the Forum.

Old 05-30-06, 12:33 AM   #15
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERdeBOER
Have you thought to use (asking permission to the authors, of course), some SCXII models?

They made a lot, and very well-looking in my opinion.
Other than Xabba, no other SCX modeller will allow their work to be used by anyone other than Thomasew for a DW Mod.

I haven't been contacted by anyone but Xabba, TLAM, aaken, and Amizaur about models (I'm REALLY sorry if I'm forgetting anyone... please PM me again). Once LWAMI4 is out, it's going to be time to do some model importing, and expanding the database with new platforms as well.

In some sense I apologize to the 3-d community for being slow to go this route, but up to a short time ago, I wasn't sure that there were modellers willing to share their work, and my own sense is to fix the games problems first before committing personal time to importing models.

Cheers,
David

Last edited by LuftWolf; 05-30-06 at 12:36 AM.
LuftWolf is offline   Reply With Quote