SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-21, 06:32 PM   #856
rschilla
Seaman

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Recently downloaded file - installed via JMSGE - (Only version 6, no other mods as yet) and it plays the movie and then crashes. Not so much a CTD as it locks up my machine and I have to sign out of Windows and sign back in.

The mod activation screen looks exactly as it did on page 1 of this thread except I have yet to delete the OM downloads.

I did change the preferences file to match the suggested settings on page 1.

Any ideas.?

And figuring it would help, I have an AMD Rizen 5 2600X six core processor 3.6Ghz with 8 gigs of RAM and a 64 bit operating system and 64 based processor with a Radeon RX 580 graphics card.

Last edited by rschilla; 02-12-21 at 06:59 PM.
rschilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 08:00 PM   #857
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschilla View Post
Recently downloaded file - installed via JMSGE - (Only version 6, no other mods as yet) and it plays the movie and then crashes. Not so much a CTD as it locks up my machine and I have to sign out of Windows and sign back in.

The mod activation screen looks exactly as it did on page 1 of this thread except I have yet to delete the OM downloads.

I did change the preferences file to match the suggested settings on page 1.

Any ideas.?

And figuring it would help, I have an AMD Rizen 5 2600X six core processor 3.6Ghz with 8 gigs of RAM and a 64 bit operating system and 64 based processor with a Radeon RX 580 graphics card.
activate Large Address Aware or similar 4 meg tool.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=3634

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 08:23 PM   #858
rschilla
Seaman

Well, it still crashed on the movie but at least this time I got an error message.

And it is correct. That file is not there.
Old 02-12-21, 09:09 PM   #859
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Welcome aboard!

rschilla!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-21, 01:03 AM   #860
rschilla
Seaman

Well, it must have been a bad download because I ripped it out reinstalled SH4 Uboat Missions and reactivated Dark Waters. This time it got past the load and allowed me to select a mission, man a boat, fill in torpedoes.... and then it crashed when it tried to leave port.

The first error said "Data/Shaders/volumetricfogps.fx" That file was there.

The next error said Depth Render VS Unknown error. I could find no such file.

It's too late to worry about this thing right now. Manana.
Old 02-13-21, 03:33 AM   #861
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Error messages... question...

Quote:
Well, it must have been a bad download because I ripped it out reinstalled SH4 Uboat Missions and reactivated Dark Waters. This time it got past the load and allowed me to select a mission, man a boat, fill in torpedoes.... and then it crashed when it tried to leave port.

The first error said "Data/Shaders/volumetricfogps.fx" That file was there.

The next error said Depth Render VS Unknown error. I could find no such file.

It's too late to worry about this thing right now. Manana.
Ahoy, rschilla...

Ok, a couple of questions, come to mind here...

Just out of dumb curiosity...

1. What is the source of your copy of SH4.?

2. What is the version of it, that you have...?

3. Where is the copy of it, installed, exactly...?

Some things that come to mind, even without knowing off hand, what version it is, much less where exactly you have it installed, is this...

For Op. Monsun: Dark v6, to work, requires version 1.5, with Ubisoft as a source (provided this is where you acquired it from,,, that is..) They only provide SH4+UBM (Silent Hunter IV: The wolves of the Pacific + Uboat Missions (esentially, what amounts to a DLC being added to their original release of SH4, that was nothing more than the U.S fleetboat side of WW2... & the original release was tagged, as I know of that, as v1.4, originally...

Am gonna go out on a limb here... & take a wild guess that the version you have... is likely v1.4 & NOT v1.5, which is what the mod calls for...

Secondly, where you have any game, for that matter, much less SH4, is better to NOT install it in either:

C:\Prgram files

or..

C:\Prgram files (x86)

Windows, their UAC program/app... security system, as it is.. does NOT like for things inside of their 'protected system, being tampered with.. and OM: Dark v6, does that, with replacing original files in the stock SH4 with those that have been edited. So... UAC, is NOT going to accept that & will at least, cause CTD's.. as I understand it... at the worst, at the least.. the game will still run, but.. only in the stock sense of it all.. at the worst of that... with glitches that given enough time, will end up with a CTD occurring...

So... game placement is of utmost importance here..

Myself, having My games instead, go to a folder I created in C:\ labeled as ''Games'', & then creating sub folders on an as needed basis, in that folder.

As I have Steam, I have their games library inside of ''Games'' & follow this same principle inside of their folder set up, in \common which is where they send games from them to.

Hopefully, I haven't lost you or left you confused... & that this info is of help...

M. M.

Old 02-13-21, 10:17 AM   #862
rschilla
Seaman

#1: Steam download of Wolves of the Pacific and then U Boat Missions.

#2 I assume that it is 1.5 because Steam usually updates everything, however, even though I have looked I never have found a version #. I just uninstalled and reinstalled U Boat Missions last night. Curiously, even though the download link for Dark Waters said Version 6, when the opening screen finally appeared in said Dark Waters V 5. I don't know if that means anything, though.

#3: C: Program Files (86) Steam/Steamapps/Common/Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific

Interesting idea about the mod folders, though. But it is also true that OM was buggy as hell.

Right now, the OM files have been deleted from JSGME and only Dark Waters 6 is enabled. I haven't even done any of the 11 or 12 associated mods that it empowers.

Obviously, plenty of others have gotten it to work.

I just realized that I had better check the LAA again as I had enabled it prior to uninstalling/reinstalling SH4.

I'll keep the tips in mind. Thank you. And if you know how or where to find the version number I will check it out.
Old 02-13-21, 11:26 AM   #863
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:

#2 I assume that it is 1.5 because Steam usually updates everything, however, even though I have looked I never have found a version #. I just uninstalled and reinstalled U Boat Missions last night. Curiously, even though the download link for Dark Waters said Version 6, when the opening screen finally appeared in said Dark Waters V 5. I don't know if that means anything, though.

#3: C: Program Files (86) Steam/Steamapps/Common/Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific

Interesting idea about the mod folders, though. But it is also true that OM was buggy as hell.

Right now, the OM files have been deleted from JSGME and only Dark Waters 6 is enabled. I haven't even done any of the 11 or 12 associated mods that it empowers.

I just realized that I had better check the LAA again as I had enabled it prior to uninstalling/reinstalling SH4.

I'll keep the tips in mind. Thank you. And if you know how or where to find the version number I will check it out.
Great, one more item, if one of us did not mention it yet: delete your save folder, from this level. SH4/DW will replace it the first time you enter and change your Options.
C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\Documents\DW\data\cfg

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-21, 12:07 PM   #864
rschilla
Seaman

Thanks, Marco. I did know about dumping the SH4 file from documents and, when I went back and reactivated the LAA all of a sudden almost everything was working.

Funny you should mention "options." No matter what I do I can't get the Gameplay options to change from the default setting. I'm looking for a "Low Realism" cruise to get the feel of it and it won't allow any changes.

I just changed that manually in the gameplay settings file. I'll see if that works.
Old 02-13-21, 12:56 PM   #865
rschilla
Seaman

And, that did not work. Keeps changing back to the default settings no matter what I say.

Also, too many radio messages. Do I really care if some ******* got Oak Leaves on his Knight's Cross? And every radio message has you banging away on the TC to get back up to speed on a long sail.

This thing is quirky.
Old 02-13-21, 02:40 PM   #866
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There are two sets of Options in the game. The "Main Menu" controls the Single (Quick) Missions, Quick Patrols, Multi-Player, Sub School, while clicking on the file cabinet near the exit door in the Captain's Office (while in port) on the German side will bring up one for the Campaign / Career.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-21, 02:55 PM   #867
rschilla
Seaman

That's new.

But I shall give it a try, sir.
Old 02-13-21, 03:13 PM   #868
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

My replies, in orange.. or as subsim calls it, sandy brown...

Quote:

Ok, I use Steam as My go to source.. as with using them for such, can then make copies of the original install & leave that 1 alone as My go to GOLD standard pristine copy.

As it is, Steam has 2.. count them... 2 different versions of SH4... the 1st being v1.4, the other of course being SH4 v1.5, which it is that 1 you need... at the loading screen you should see Silent Hunter 4 wolves of the Pacific Uboat Stories/missions... has been a bit since I even thought to really pay attention to the load up screen... *chuckles* I usually just pay a small bit of attention, just to know it loaded up as it should.. not really pay attention to that slogan, as it were.., when you run it for the 1st time... this allows it to finalize & do what is needed for it to run properly. This is an important step & the game is NOT going to run until you do so.

I did check Steam & the correct version on the pic of it after doing a search for Silent Hunter... does indeed show as Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific Uboat Missions. If you on doing a search in your 'Library' & don't see that, then you definitely have the v1.4, & will need to grab the correct version.

Never assume.. always ensure this is the case, BUT.. can tell you from experience... NO.. Steam is NOT going to update v1.4 to v1.5, that is something that YOU have to do... and as I mentioned, from what you've described with some of the issues.. the version you have is indeed... 1.4 & NOT 1.5, which this mod set calls for.. pure & simple.

As it was, I grabbed SH3, SH4 (which when I grabbed this bundle set, it included both v1.4 & 1.5, took Me a bit to realize that fact... ) & SH5 in a 3 in 1 package deal. I paid like $21-22 bucks for it (U.S. $'s...) at the time... & have never regretted doing so...

Herein, lies 1 of your problems.. As it is, I use a 2 HD st up on My computer & have Steam with their launcher, relegated to the 2nd drive & the library for them, on the main 1...

As it is, I don't know how you have yours set up.. but.. if you're running a single HD set up.. then am thinking you will probably need to do a complete reinstall of Steam... moving them into a complete folder outside of Program files or Program files (x86) & then reinstall SH4 after doing that.

If you have a 2 HD set up, then I could put together a road map on how you can set up yours & have it work without issues..

Hopefully this helps...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 02-14-21 at 01:10 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-21, 08:48 PM   #869
rschilla
Seaman

Not sure what you mean by "library" but when I consult the Control Panel for Programs it lists Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific Uboat Missions right down to the punctuation. Is it just me or does it seem strange that they wouldn't put the version number somewhere fairly prominent?
Old 02-14-21, 12:44 AM   #870
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "library" but when I consult the Control Panel for Programs it lists Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific Uboat Missions right down to the punctuation. Is it just me or does it seem strange that they wouldn't put the version number somewhere fairly prominent?
When you are logged into 'Steam's' game launcher... at the very top of the menu box that opens up... Library is like... the 2nd in the list from left to right... 3rd, if you count the 'back/forward arrows. (See attached snap shot w/ Library, circled in red...)

While in the launcher.. clicking on the top tab at the very tip top of the launcher tagged 'Steam', will open up a sub-menu & in it.. is the choice of selecting 'Settings'... in choosing that, opens up another sub-menu, & in that 1, is the option of choosing 'Downloads'.

Upon opening that up, is the sub-menu, yet again & from there, can select 'Contents ''Library'' ', which is where you can then select, just where Steam installs any & all games through them, to a spot in your C:\ Drive, (or other drive, for that matter... ) & you can tell it to set up 'that' library any where... but NOT in \Program files or \Program files (x86) avoiding them, like the plague...

This was what I meant, when I was referencing Library & that you could then direct it out from & away from \Program files or \Program files (x86)

Hopefully, this has helped... clear up your not being sure of what was meant by 'Library'...

As for seeing which version it is you have installed as to it being v1.4 or v1.5, perhaps propbeanie or Fifi.. or KaleunMarco, can inform you on that.. as for Me.. am drawing a blank on that aspect.

Other than knowing that 'Steam' does have both of those versions & that others can make the mistake of thinking they have v1.5, when instead that have v1.4 installed.

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 02-14-21 at 01:12 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote