Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 03-20-12, 01:12 AM   #1
U570
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default Decent F/A-18 simulator?

Hi all,
Does anyone know where to get a decent F/A-18 simulator? The only reason I ask is I plan on joining the Air Force, and I want some sort of idea what I might be flying.

"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along,
understand each other and work well together"- Anon
U570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 01:34 AM   #2
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by U570 View Post
Hi all,
Does anyone know where to get a decent F/A-18 simulator? The only reason I ask is I plan on joining the Air Force, and I want some sort of idea what I might be flying.
uhhhhh, if you're joining the Air Force, you're not gonna be flying F/A-18s

Your best bet is Jane's F-18. It's dated by now but it is quite a detailed one otherwise. However, if combat is not your primary interest, you might want to get the VRS Superbug for FSX: http://www.vrsimulations.com/

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 02:15 AM   #3
U570
Grey Wolf

Well, down here in Oz, the Super Hornets would still be around in 5-6 years, about the time I'd be able to get there. With Jane's F/A-18, is it possible to mod it with, say, 3D cockpit, revised textures etc. Also the VRS one, slight problem, my FSX won't install. Apparently a 1TB doesn't have the space

Old 03-20-12, 03:47 AM   #4
CCIP
Navy Seal

Ah, silly of me to assume you were talking about the US, especially since our own Air Force here also has the CF-118 as the main combat aircraft. Aren't they just called F-18 (rather than F/A-18) in Australian service?

Anyway, there are mods for Janes F-18. They certainly don't go that far along compared to something like Falcon, and you will run into a lot of technical limitations of the game, but it's still the latest and best you'll get as far as an F-18 combat sim unfortunately. It does have a basic 3D cockpit from the start though, and it does a pretty darn good job of modeling the plane's systems and weapons.

Speaking of Falcon 4.0, some major mods for it (including FreeFalcon and the latest BMS) do have F-18 cockpits available, but they're still not totally accurate and functional to the real F-18. You still end up something that has the systems of an F-16 pretending to be an F-18. You should really consider fixing up your FSX issue (maybe your install disc is just bad) - the Superbug is probably your only option if you want a modern 3D cockpit, nice textures, etc. etc. Otherwise there just isn't anything out there, and the best hope right now is that DCS will eventually feature the plane as one of their next titles.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 03-20-12, 05:00 AM   #5
U570
Grey Wolf

Yes, In Oz they are called F/A-18s. There is one other option; use Wings over Vietnam, and use the ADF (Australian Defence Force) mod and just tweak that.

Note:- all mods for this game here: http://combatace.com/files/category/...-by-thirdwire/

Old 03-20-12, 10:35 AM   #6
CCIP
Navy Seal

Well, sure, though the Strike Fighters series is very "light" on the simulation aspect - you're not gonna get a very detailed or accurate model of the plane's systems at all. Not that it makes it less fun, but it's not a study sim.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 03-31-12, 01:00 AM   #7
U570
Grey Wolf

Apparently, X-Plane has CFD (Computational Flow Dynamics), which calculates how it flies, instead of like in FSX, where every plane has values, and is 'told' how to fly. I reckon this would be a pretty good base to build up from

Edit- would making a mod for Il-2 be a decent substitute if I can't get anything to work? like have all the modern ones in a different pack?

Last edited by U570; 03-31-12 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-06-12, 03:24 AM   #8
U570
Grey Wolf

Also, from what I see, there is an F/A-18 mod for Flaming Cliffs 2, and the physics is pretty bang on. Would this be a recommended sim?

Old 04-06-12, 03:56 AM   #9
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

How about you join your local aviation club (if there is one) and try out glider flying for a bit. It's comparatively inexpensive and when you start your air force training you don't train on a jet immediately but on propeller driven planes and having flown gliders before will already give you an edge over those who haven't flown anything in real life before. You'll also learn the basics of aviation, navigation and meteorology which you won't have to learn again in the air force then (and you can already show off with some knowledge and flying hours at the job interview).
Learning just from a video game sounds a bit odd to me. Sure simulations have become pretty good but it's not a replacement for the real thing.
Old 04-06-12, 04:54 AM   #10
U570
Grey Wolf

Good idea, yes, but I am in the middle of a flying dead zone . The nearest club is about an hour and a half's drive, and I don't have a driving license. I haven't even gotten to year 12. Mind you, I've done scouts, so that's pretty for navigation and I've looked at the sky long enough to know the weather. I was, mind you, I've been thinking about this http://www.highlandwarbirds.com.au/

Old 04-09-12, 02:04 AM   #11
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

I've heard some rumors that one of the next planes of the DCS series might be a F/A-18 simulator...does anybody know more about it?
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote