SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-19, 10:07 AM   #16
lederhosen
Planesman

Downloads: 421
Uploads: 0

must be a bug... I got thrown in the Brig for sinking neutral shipping!
What could I do....the whole Konvoy was Neutral!!! waaaa!

hee hee, new career for testing
Old 12-16-19, 07:53 PM   #17
Kaxii
Swabbie

Downloads: 42
Default Runtime error

Hi there,

Fresh install of SH4, with LAA. WIthout activating the mod the game starts and runs fine, but with the mod activated I get a CTD due to a C++ Runtime Error, any ideas?
Kaxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-19, 09:36 PM   #18
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Which version of SH4, Kaxii, and what folder is it installed in on your computer?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 05:06 AM   #19
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Kaxil
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 07:22 AM   #20
Kaxii
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Which version of SH4, Kaxii, and what folder is it installed in on your computer?
Version 1.5
Located: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific
Old 12-17-19, 08:03 AM   #21
propbeanie

That is a good install location... Dark Waters adds nothing more than some improved graphics and configuration changes, so usually, there would no issue. However, one of the first things to check would be if you emptied the "Save" folder for the game after you installed the mod? That is usually found in the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder. Delete the contents and try the game again. This does re-set your video back to the Stock setting of 1024x768, and other default settings that you'll want to put as you like them. A 2nd thing to check, though would not cause the C++ error, is the LAA, and make certain that it is properly activated. If the SH4.exe file is write-protected, then LAA will not "take", and no error message is thrown concerning that.

Other than that, when you installed the game, do you remember selecting the "DirectX v9,0c" and the "Microsoft DirectX Media Codec" choices on the install menu? You most likely did, since Stock is running OK, but double-check if you can. You could also try your video card driver. THEBERBSTER has all sorts of links in his signature, especially the SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX one, concerning rolling back and updating video drivers. This might be like throwing darts while blindfolded and drunk, unless someone else has a more lucid answer...

One last dart to throw, after being spun around by a certain someone, is to remove all mods, then copy the insides of your "Wolves of the Pacific" folder, everything, and make a new folder in the "C:\Games \Steam \steamapps \common" folder, and name it like "DarkWaters", then paste the Wolves of the Pacific copy into there. Depending upon your computer and Steam set-ups you might be able to run it it from the SH4.exe shortcut in that folder. On my system, I have to start the Steam app on my computer, log-in, then use "Add a non-Steam game" to the menu, as mentioned in the Steam Article Add Non-Steam Games to a Library. This will add a shortcut to it to your Steam menu, and after that, you can also create a shortcut to it on the desktop. The Steam Menu will recognize it as sh4.exe, so you'll probably want to change its name, which I usually name mine after the mod. You would also want to incorporate MultiSH4v1.5 to the mix, so that you can name a different "Save" folder name, such as OMD, which is what I did, so that I know its an OpMonsun Dark waters "Save" folder...

Old 12-17-19, 08:43 AM   #22
Kaxii
Swabbie

The LAA and read only attributes where the first things I checked, but both seemed to be fine, I've also looked at the drivers, but the last update was 2016 (and that is also the latest) so I'm not too sure if that might be the problem as I also have KSDII running fine using another copy of the SHIV folder method you detailed, so for some reason it just seems to be this mod. Is there anyway I can re-download the specific C++ redistributible, or find out which one is being specifically used by the mod? As looking at a previous topic some people have had issues before with a certain C++ redistributible throwing a CTD which was fixed by uninstalling it, but unfortunately I don't have that specific redistributible installed on my system so it must be a different one if it is that. Thanks for the help so far though!
Old 12-17-19, 11:02 AM   #23
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Kaxii!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 01:37 PM   #24
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Dark Waters V2 coming soon!

- More crew visible inside all U-Boats
- New crew with new animations (from Ducimus mod) depending battle stations on or off
- Xmas tree now lighting when diving in all U-Boats (command room and conning tower)
- All alert lights and indicators lights now working correctly
- global interior lighting re-worked in all U-Boats
- camera focus adjusted for all U-Boats interiors
- Sea and Land folder fixed to avoid some remaining CTDs

Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 02:04 PM   #25
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

First off, thank you for your Mod but...

Same issue as Kaxii, above. The stock copy of SH4 runs fine but Dark Waters generates a CTD every time. My monitor is no capable of 1920x1080 so that may be part of the problem. SH4 installations including We Dive at Dawn, FOTRSU, Soviet Waterways, TMO-RSRD and OM with all the bells and whistles run fine.

Scrapped everything and have downloaded the mod a second time; will try again.

-C

EDIT:
The issue seems to have been a problem with the initial download. The second download was much larger than the first so that might be a place to start for Kaxii. No idea why the initial download had problems and none were indicated during or after the download or file extraction processes. The new install seems to run as intended but there are some graphic anomalies in 1440 x 900 screen resolution. These can be corrected before leaving the bunker or tolerated on patrol as they are pretty minor, all things considered.

Last edited by Randomizer; 12-17-19 at 03:25 PM.
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 04:19 PM   #26
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaxii View Post
The LAA and read only attributes where the first things I checked, but both seemed to be fine, I've also looked at the drivers, but the last update was 2016 (and that is also the latest) so I'm not too sure if that might be the problem as I also have KSDII running fine using another copy of the SHIV folder method you detailed, so for some reason it just seems to be this mod. Is there anyway I can re-download the specific C++ redistributible, or find out which one is being specifically used by the mod? As looking at a previous topic some people have had issues before with a certain C++ redistributible throwing a CTD which was fixed by uninstalling it, but unfortunately I don't have that specific redistributible installed on my system so it must be a different one if it is that. Thanks for the help so far though!
As Randomizer mentions above, try another download of the mod attempt. There are not C++ library files (dll) in Dark Waters. It is all game files that are modded. C++ library issues are very difficult to troubleshoot, because of the plethora of them available. If you look in your Installed Programs (Apps & Features), and display the Windows Components, you might see 15 files named with "C++ Library", from 2006, 2008, etc., sometimes with four and five of them from the same year. Each game developer might add one little "feature" to the library, and they make a new file for it, so oftentimes, you cannot remove any of them for fear of messing-up something else on the computer. Silent Hunter 4 might use multiple dll libraries also, since it was released in 2007, but updated in 2008...Try a new Dark Waters download first, and if that doesn't do it, you might have to re-do the game install in that folder - or do a different mod there and try a different copy of the game... Come to think of it, I don't think I modded my "base" Steam SH4...

Old 12-17-19, 04:27 PM   #27
lederhosen
Planesman

Downloads: 421

X.Mas is coming
Old 12-17-19, 06:48 PM   #28
Kaxii
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As Randomizer mentions above, try another download of the mod attempt. There are not C++ library files (dll) in Dark Waters. It is all game files that are modded. C++ library issues are very difficult to troubleshoot, because of the plethora of them available. If you look in your Installed Programs (Apps & Features), and display the Windows Components, you might see 15 files named with "C++ Library", from 2006, 2008, etc., sometimes with four and five of them from the same year. Each game developer might add one little "feature" to the library, and they make a new file for it, so oftentimes, you cannot remove any of them for fear of messing-up something else on the computer. Silent Hunter 4 might use multiple dll libraries also, since it was released in 2007, but updated in 2008...Try a new Dark Waters download first, and if that doesn't do it, you might have to re-do the game install in that folder - or do a different mod there and try a different copy of the game... Come to think of it, I don't think I modded my "base" Steam SH4...
I tried a re-download and the file size was the same (1.74GB compressed), and still put up the same error when installed. I tried putting it into a new game install file outside the base, but still the same issue, even tried it in the KSDII install with the same outcome, yet KSDII still worked fine after re-activation. Tis a confusing one :S
Old 12-17-19, 09:29 PM   #29
propbeanie

Are you sure you are in the v1.5 folder? I know Steam does a v1.3, and v1.5 is a separate download. Be sure you have the correct one, although I thought the error was different with that...

Old 12-19-19, 06:54 AM   #30
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Dark Waters V2 coming soon!

- All alert lights and indicators lights now working correctly

Rectification: great troubles with those indicators lights ... can’t make them work properly unless breaking other Interior lighting features.
SH4 interior lights are very difficult to adjust precisely, each one interacting with numerous others.
This is a real head breaker, days and days of Unsuccessful trying...so I’ll let those damn indicator lights as they are actually (speaking about recharge port/starboard and battery levels)
Strangely they are working fine in type II, but impossible in type VII & IX with exact same settings...
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote