SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-14-10, 04:53 PM   #1
alphlvr
Watch

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0
Default op monson identifying friend or foe, help

hey,

while playing this fab mod im now wondering how do i decide if a ship is friend or foe??
i remember in sh3 gwx i had a pull down chart with different countries flags and if they were allied or axis at various times in the war. i would base my attack decision on that chart.

well im crawling about in the english channel in 1940 and due to my history not being that good im wondering if i need to know this info and how do i get it?

ive looked through the `op monsun` readmes and it states ill have to decide who my enemies are, but im wondering how??

how do you guys do it, or am i missing somthing?

one other thing, whats the score with those ships called `xb nb nb x wr hf` and there are lots of pictures that look almost identical. im guessing thats for realism making the id more difficult?? so is it just take your best guess?? no mention of these in the readmes either as far as i can see (its giving me eye strain tryin to make a id )

cheers chaps for advice, any good links for op monsun info?
alphlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 11:30 PM   #2
Dieselglock
Wolf of the deep

Downloads: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphlvr View Post
hey,

while playing this fab mod im now wondering how do i decide if a ship is friend or foe??
i remember in sh3 gwx i had a pull down chart with different countries flags and if they were allied or axis at various times in the war. i would base my attack decision on that chart.

well im crawling about in the english channel in 1940 and due to my history not being that good im wondering if i need to know this info and how do i get it?

ive looked through the `op monsun` readmes and it states ill have to decide who my enemies are, but im wondering how??

how do you guys do it, or am i missing somthing?

one other thing, whats the score with those ships called `xb nb nb x wr hf` and there are lots of pictures that look almost identical. im guessing thats for realism making the id more difficult?? so is it just take your best guess?? no mention of these in the readmes either as far as i can see (its giving me eye strain tryin to make a id )

cheers chaps for advice, any good links for op monsun info?
Hello, This may help you. Check with Lurker and make sure it is ok to run with your mods.

http://www.filefront.com/11732282/Cs...sOfGermany.zip

NYGM STEEL COFFIN V5.0 / CCOM12 FIFI / ONEALEX 1.53
Dieselglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 01:08 AM   #3
Wolfling04
Frogman

Downloads: 102

This is what I do:

Identify the country (flag) of the ship, ie. Netherlands
Go to the plotting map and find a city within that country like Amsterdam.
If the city is in black it is neutrul, red is enemy, blue is friendly

Now if I have a brain fart like i did last night and couldn't remeber if the Amsterdam is in the Netherlands or not I use the next best thing....

GOOGLE MAPS!, Find the country on google maps find a marked city thats on the SH4 plotting maps and look at the color.

Its complicated but its the best way I have found
Old 01-15-10, 11:04 AM   #4
limkol
XO

Downloads: 210

I agree with Dieselglock. I use the 'Enemies of Germany' mod without problems (as far as I know!)
limkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 11:14 AM   #5
alphlvr
Watch

cheers guys ill try that mod.

howerver i did notice that plymoth and exmouth are showing as black from a distance (on the map) and if i zoom in to them they turn blue, (feb 1940) not red like the rest of the uk which sorta confused me, i dont remember germany taking over the sw coast

seeing that made me think enemies of germany couldnt be checked by that method, guess im wrong again

@wolfing, id be permanently alt-tabed as my brain has a gas problem, to much cabbage!

any tips on what to look for to id those ships with `xb hf ab c` type names, i pause the game for an hour last night and gave up i decideded it was 10 of them , got super close so wrong info would not destroy my firing solution.

also if i id ship as a `hf ab c` and sink it but it was really a `hf ab df ae b` does the correct name appear in ships sunk list or the one i picked?? never noticed as names are so similar.

its still fab

Last edited by alphlvr; 01-15-10 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-15-10, 11:46 AM   #6
ambarata
Watch

Downloads: 813
Default Sinking neutral ships

Hi guys!

In OM, what is the penalty for sinking a neutral ship, if any?

Cheers

AMBARATA
ambarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 02:18 PM   #7
Te Kaha
Navy Dude

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 2

There's no penalty I know, never got any.
Te Kaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 07:01 PM   #8
Aur0ra145
Sailor man

Downloads: 58

Uhh, I was playing Op Monsun the other day and sunk a neutral ship in 1941 in the Western Approaches to England, it was actually the 5th ship I made go keel up in a convoy I was attacking.

Sadly, when I got back to port the text stuff said I had horribly embarassed Germany and the Kriegsmarine, that I'd also been stripped of my command, and that the secret police took me away in the night never to be heard from again.

That was my experience, but the boat was a tanker @ over 10k tons, so that might of had something to do with it.
Old 01-16-10, 09:09 AM   #9
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselglock View Post
Hello, This may help you. Check with Lurker and make sure it is ok to run with your mods.

http://www.filefront.com/11732282/Cs...sOfGermany.zip
May be a dumb question (I'm full of them lately!) but how do you use/access this in game? There is no readme with it and no description in the download section that I saw with your link. I've installed it but don't know how to see it. Thanks.
Old 01-16-10, 09:16 AM   #10
limkol
XO

Downloads: 210

press F1 during game and it's there together with a lot of other info
limkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-10, 01:21 PM   #11
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by limkol View Post
Well how smart is that?! Never thought to look there that someone may have modded it that way, makes sense, too. See? I told you it was a dumb question. Thanks!
Old 01-17-10, 11:38 AM   #12
ambarata
Watch

Downloads: 813
Default Freind or Foe

Quote:
Originally Posted by limkol View Post
Hi!

I have that mod, when we press F1, but i don´t think we´re penalized by sinking a neutral ship.
That makes the OM unreal in terms of simulation.
Nice, but unreal!

ambarata
ambarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 12:17 PM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The problem is that real life is not reflected properly in the game. Neutrals were indeed considered off limits, but when mistakes were made they were treated fairly lightly. This even includes the several times when a u-boat sank a German or Italian ship that was travelling outside of its designated areas. The other problem was that neutrals sometimes travelled in Allied convoys. When this happened they were considered fair game.

You can adjust the settings in Data/Cfg/Basic. I reset neutrals for 0, so I don't get punished for sinking them but neither do I get rewarded, thus rendering them a waste of good ammunition. I also have my friendly ships set for -1 rather than -10, for similar reasons.
Old 01-19-10, 10:50 PM   #14
alphlvr
Watch

so if i want to be be penalized slightly for sinking neutrals and heavily for friendlys what do i do, i like to be punished.

i think the 1st 3 ships i sank i thought were french but turned out the flag was horizontal stirpes rather than vertical and when i got to base, im a bit confused as i had 8900 renown
(nothing to spendit on)

needless to say im confused....or is that cuz all ships are neutrals as it says in readme which may be best way to deal with it....and u just use your imagination...although i wasnt expecting renown

unlike the aurora guy below i also got a medal for my mistake ??

ots march 1940 and so far im finding endless convoys of denmark netherlands and norway and the only english or enemy shipping im finding are the odd patrol craft accompanying em.

cant wait till 2-3 months pass so they become fair game. (as per Csengois`s mod)

im dying to shoot em as i see tanks on board and i guess they are secretly aiding the brits :p

Last edited by alphlvr; 01-19-10 at 11:06 PM.