SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-10, 04:56 PM   #1
allaboutshazz
Swabbie

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0
Op Monsun U-Boat targeting

Hi,

I was wondering if any one can help me figure out the U-Boats targeting system. In Fleet Boats i find the DO'K method my best chance of sinking a ship because the TDC is linked to the A periscope, Im sure it is in the uboats aswell but i've been setting myself up 90* off the track of an approaching ship but cant figure out how to programme the information like i do in the fleet boats.

I determine the speed and of course range is cancelled out, i just dont know which dials to fiddle with and which way to point my periscope.

On fleet boats i normally have a 20* lead angle and the TDC does the rest but when i try to do the same on Uboats and check to attack map i can just tell the torpedoe track is wrong.

i have no form of word on my PC so any manuels i DL appear as gibberish on notepad so they dont help.

thanks for any replies
allaboutshazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 06:00 PM   #2
Dutch
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19

I generally use the shoot or "fire" bearing. In other words I find the target. Plot its speed and course. Once I have done that I look for the perfect attack (90 degrees of close bow).

Since I know that at 0 bearing I am at 90 degrees I put my periscope at 0 and enter in the solution, ie Speed Range and AoB. By the way Range is the absolute last thing I put in. Usually the last minute before I fire.
Normally before I set my range I enter Speed and Range into the TDC and turn it on. Once I have done this I look for the point in the periscope where the gyro angle (lead angle for the torpedo) is 0 (keep in mind this is not 0 on the periscope bearing. If the gyroangle is 15 degrees and we have it set to 0 periscope bearing I know that my fire bearing is 15 degrees on my periscope bearing.)

After I have a close and relative fire bearing I then wait until the target is around 10-15 degrees away from it. I make a "guess" at the range given how close to the target I am and how fast I'm moving and (VERY VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT!) I set the periscope back at 0, I turn off the TDC, I enter the range (remember this will slightly adjust your fire bearing the reason we do this early). Once I enter the range I turn the TDC back on and find my fire bearing again. This is usually maybe a degree or two in either direction from the original bearing.

Once I have done that I double check all my setting in torpedo, ie the tubes are open speed set to fast, detonator set to impact, the normal drill.

Now this is where the action begins. By the time I complete this the ship is getting very very close to firing bearing. Keep in mind where we have our periscope pointed is the 0 degree for the gyro angle. Meaning that what ever part of the ship crosses this line (say the forward mast, usually a bulkhead I like targeting that with one torp. But say the forward mast is right on your 0 gyro angle and you fire. If your solution is correct that is exactly where your torpedo will hit. So there isn't any reason to move the periscope once you find the fire bearing.) you will hit. I like firing at least two torps to make sure the one I fire isn't a dud. So the first torp I like aiming at the forward mast (again by aiming I am waiting for the part of the ship to cross the fire bearing.) Once I fire the first torp, I wait for the engine room (Generally Directly under the Smoke Stack.) Fire your second torp.

After that its just a waiting game. If your solution is correct your torps will be dead on. Of course if the target spots your torps they will do evasive maneuvers. So it might be a bit off, but there isn't really anything you can do about that.

Usually two torps with one in the engine room is enough to either fatally wound or seriously maim any target. It is is still somewhat afloat kill it with your deck gun and fire another torp.
Old 04-08-10, 06:11 PM   #3
Zantham
中国水兵

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 1

You can do this from the Attack periscope and/or the Torpedo Attack map screen.

From the attack periscope, you have those two panels on either side of the view window that give you the torpedo settings. On the right panel there is a purple light, you can click that to lock and unlock the torpedo setting dials.

If the light is on, then when you swivel the scope, you will see various dials spinning, and you will not be able to adjust them. Click the light off, this decouples the scope from the TDC and allows you to change the dials.

From the Torp Attack map screen, there is a button near the bottom row of 4 dials you can see, if you click the button it locks (red) the dials, or unlocks (green) those 4 dials for manual input. Its the same function as the purple button in the attack scope view.

To set up your shot, decouple the TDC. I'm going by memory here so I'm gonna use the Attack Map screen. The dial on the furthest left of those 4 bottom dials should be set so it points straight up. This is equivalent of turning your attack scope to 0*.

Then I like to set the next dial to say 1000m range, tho this is arbitrary really, I just like the torpedo path line to extend past the sub bearing graphic.

Dial up the correct speed the target is moving at, and set your torpedo pistol and depth if you haven't already.

Then adjust your AOB to 90* in the proper direction, and you will see the torpedo path from your sub (and the torpedo gyro dial) will offset. This is the direction the torpedo will travel when you fire it. As you said, it will usually deflect 20* or whatever to one side or the other depending on the AOB you dialed in.

At this point, you can lock in the TDC, and whatever direction you turn the attack scope, the TDC will update the torpedo gyro, and the AOB for the shot. This is great for in a convoy, as you can swivel the scope around (keeping in mind the max torpedo gyro limits) and fire your torps at will (careful if you use impact only settings). This is where dialing in a more correct range for the target is handy, as the more off 90* you shoot, the less accurate your shots will be using this method, because the torpedo goes straight out of the sub for a preset distance before it begins its turn.

Alternatively, you can look at the calculated gyro angle for the torpedo, and adjust the first dial again to match it in the other direction, so that the torpedo will go straight out of the tube. Since you use a 90* AOB setting when the target is directly in front of you, this shot is very high probability of a good hit. I leave the scope decoupled so I can look around, but I'm aware of the calculated gyro, so I will point my scope in this direction, and when the part of the ship I want to hit passes the scope, I fire off the torpedo. I'm not sure of the inherent advantages to leaving it decoupled, tho I will use this way for hydrophone-only shots where I don't raise the scope at all to fire, so I don't care where the scope is pointing anyways.

I think I got all the steps in there, doing this from memory at work...
Zantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 01:38 AM   #4
alexradu89
Lieutenant

Downloads: 94

If you are using OM + OMEGU (which I hope you are, and strongly advise to) check out these tutorial documents (pics included)
http://www.filefront.com/14992013/KiUB-User-Guide.zip
http://www.filefront.com/15351513/Manual-Targeting.zip
alexradu89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 04:25 AM   #5
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Dutch. Zantham I have understood next to nothing, and I thought I know how to use manual targeting

As long as you're still learning this, you better ignore complicated methods and learn to estimate values. Get close to the target (500 - 800m), about 90degree AOB. Range can be estimated with the eye. Speed is 5-8 knots for most merchants anyway. If they're already damaged it can get down to zero so you must keep that it mind for the second torpedo.

You will miss up to 50% of torpedoes that way but that gives realistic tonnage numbers, not 50.000 tons on every patrol.

Now to using the TDC.

The labels under the dials are self explaining, if you understand them. Install the English KiUB labels if you don't know the german terms.

If we ignore the left panel (which controls just general torpedo settings), all important settings are on the right panel. For your solution you must enter:

- Speed
- Angle On Bow (AOB)
- Range

Before you can enter the values you must push the purple button (otherwise TDC is locked with the periscope). Then, directly before you shoot, push purple again, to enter the new solution into the TDC (otherwise ).

Speed, AOB and Range are the first column on the right panel:

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 07:22 AM   #6
allaboutshazz
Swabbie

Downloads: 42

Cheers for all the replies, I've got the hang of it now and think its better than the fleet boat scopes because of the constantly updated gyro angle on the torps. So i can correct mistakes really easily.
allaboutshazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 01:11 AM   #7
Bloomstomb
Shore leave

Downloads: 105

I dont have any of these dials in the uboats. I have installed OM and omegu according to instructions (only german atlantic uboat campaign).
Old 04-27-10, 02:54 AM   #8
Sammi79
XO

Downloads: 272

@Bloomstomb

In the latest OMEGU patch 6, mods from Hitman add these dials to the Obs scope and the UZO. In all earlier versions they are only on the Attack scope. The stadimeter is now only on the attack scope.

Last edited by Sammi79; 04-27-10 at 06:04 AM.
Sammi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 08:23 AM   #9
Bloomstomb
Shore leave

I have the following installed and in this order.

Opsmonsun_V705
OMv705_to_V720
OMv720_Patch4
OMEGU_v300_pkg
OMEGU_V300_Patch6_pkg

When I play uboat campaign , I dont have any of these dials for any of my subs (type 7 and xi).
Old 04-27-10, 08:27 AM   #10
Sammi79
XO

Downloads: 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomstomb View Post
I have the following installed and in this order.

Opsmonsun_V705
OMv705_to_V720
OMv720_Patch4
OMEGU_v300_pkg
OMEGU_V300_Patch6_pkg
the OMEGU_V300_pkg and OMEGU_V300_Patch6_pkg are folders containing multiple different optional mods, you have to pull out the folder OMEGU_V300 and OMEGU_V300_Patch6 from inside them, put them in your mods folder and try again.
Sammi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 08:36 AM   #11
Bloomstomb
Shore leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi79 View Post
the OMEGU_V300_pkg and OMEGU_V300_Patch6_pkg are folders containing multiple different optional mods, you have to pull out the folder OMEGU_V300 and OMEGU_V300_Patch6 from inside them, put them in your mods folder and try again.

OOOOH!

THANKS!!!

I get it now (I think).