SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-11, 02:06 PM   #1
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Default [WIP] Mines

From the work I did on the icebergs it revealed to me a way to possibly make mines for the game. Mines that you can actually collide with (and hear the collision) before they explode. And I've done it

This is something totally new. I do not use the SH3/4 way of mines, I made something totally different (thought WAY outside of the box on this one). The mine is classified as an environmental so you're crew will not spot it . It's possible that I could change it's classification to something else but for now I'm just looking for something that works.

Extract straight to MODS folder and enable via JSGME. Select the historic mission 'TDW Mines'. Steer boat for mine straight in front of you and collide with it. Prepare for damage

The only strange thing is the damage you receive is sometimes delayed. Looks like some sort of game bug. Sometimes you won't get damage reports until about 2-3 seconds after the explosion of the mine Very strange.

When the mine explodes it doesn't disappear. After a few seconds it will disappear (fade away).

I should be able to make subnets and the likes now also.

This link includes both mines (chained and unchained) and the single mission and Total Germany campaign. The Total Germany campaign has 4 mines at the entrance to Wilhelmshaven (2 on both sides - one chained and one unchained). See if you can find them The single mission has both mines in it also.

The mines have been toned down in the damage they inflict. You should now receive hull damage also when you hit one.

http://www.filefront.com/17855690/TDW-Mines.7z/

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 01-26-11 at 09:29 PM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 02:06 PM   #2
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

reserved by TDW
Old 01-26-11, 02:22 PM   #3
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788
Uploads: 0

The title "Best of subsim" you got absolutely right. You are great and your work is for SH5 a huge benefit! I can not wait to see the mines, icebergs and anti-submarine nets in the campaign!
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 02:23 PM   #4
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Hi TDW,

Nice work again. Damage reported after 5-6 sec. Not hull damage. 100% damage for both diesel engines, hidro - almoast half of my equipment (so much damage a mine do? - i think it will be better the crew to be able to spot them!)

You will put this in the campaign aslo?

Thanks!
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 02:32 PM   #5
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

cool.
Old 01-26-11, 02:42 PM   #6
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoianm View Post
You will put this in the campaign aslo?
Campaign is not my strong point, it's my weak point. I provide the means to do something now I need someone to step up and apply these means to the campaign. I know Magnum is good with campaigns but who else is?
Old 01-26-11, 02:51 PM   #7
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Campaign is not my strong point, it's my weak point. I provide the means to do something now I need someone to step up and apply these means to the campaign. I know Magnum is good with campaigns but who else is?
Understood - that means that sooner or later we will have mines in campaigns. Thanks TDW!
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 02:58 PM   #8
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3

I haven't played SH5 for months but I decided to give your Magnum Opus a go and it's amazing what an improvement it is. I'm gonna give these mines a try right now. Excellent work Dark Wraith
Old 01-26-11, 03:00 PM   #9
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I applied Icebergs to the Campaign, but there were problems. Are you saying you've managed to fix these? If so, it should be pretty easy to put Mines into the Campaign.

EDIT: I just saw TDW's Iceberg Mod

Last edited by The General; 01-26-11 at 03:23 PM.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 03:10 PM   #10
[501]Otto
Commander

Downloads: 87

Thx, TDW
[501]Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 03:19 PM   #11
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

This is different to the icebergs. With icebergs is possible to generate random "groups" of icebergs that will travel on random routes, but not with mines.. those are static objects. So they have to be placed manually around dover channel, gibraltar etc. At least I dont know how else can we generate static objects in the campaign.

If we form here a team that will revamp the whole SH5 campaign, we can add them into the campaigns. I will try these days to add few mines to the gibraltar area in the OH campaign and see if they show up and work.

Awesome job TDW, respect. Now whats next? Nets?
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 03:25 PM   #12
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
This is different to the icebergs. With icebergs is possible to generate random "groups" of icebergs that will travel on random routes, but not with mines.. those are static objects. So they have to be placed manually around dover channel, gibraltar etc. At least I dont know how else can we generate static objects in the campaign.

If we form here a team that will revamp the whole SH5 campaign, we can add them into the campaigns. I will try these days to add few mines to the gibraltar area in the OH campaign and see if they show up and work.

Awesome job TDW, respect. Now whats next? Nets?
If you look at the icebergs I added them as static objects to the campaign. Thus one can add static objects very easily to the campaign layers Mines will be no different from the icebergs - both are environmentals and thus both behave the same.

The mine and the icebergs are not static objects - they are really ships in environmental disguise! Look at the controllers I have attached to them.

One can easily add 'junk' to the campaign also via static objects - sunk ships, debris, etc.

One can also easily place certain ships in harbor - no more of this random ship stuff.
Old 01-26-11, 03:26 PM   #13
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946

Nice

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 03:29 PM   #14
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
I applied Icebergs to the Campaign, but there were problems. Are you saying you've managed to fix these? If so, it should be pretty easy to put Mines into the Campaign.

EDIT: I just saw TDW's Iceberg Mod
haven't experienced any problems yet! I even ran down an iceberg in the campaign to see it. No problems what-so-ever
Old 01-26-11, 05:20 PM   #15
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

What is different between the way mines work in this game compared to SH4/3