SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-22, 10:13 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Sunrise Police Incident (bodycam footage)

From my home state...disgusting.

This young, female officer stepped up to stop the abuse of a citizen by her jackbooted Sergeant, and he responded by attacking her. No audio, because police have conveniently withheld the audio due to "ongoing investigation."

Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-22, 10:42 PM   #2
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

Yeah that will go down well.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-22, 11:33 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Yeah that will go down well.
Well, the Sergeant is suspended currently, good chance he will be terminated and even charged with battery, as he should be. I would bet money if he has a spouse and or/children, they have bruises. Sadly, pretty typical.
Old 01-20-22, 10:47 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The job is hard enough without the additional burden of a rotten apple.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 11:30 AM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
To be fair, the job is not that difficult, 99% of the time. While it certainly has its moments and inherent risks/occupational hazards, most of the time its a fairly easy job and not as dangerous as widely thought, compared to other occupations. Police Officer does not even make the top ten most dangerous occupations in the country. Entertainment and propaganda efforts of past perpetuated a myth that persists among a large portion of the population today.

Issue with law enforcement in America is not just a few "rotten apples", but is systemic, which is why the problems repeat themselves from coast to coast, north to south, and this Sergeant's behavior is one of countless examples. Literally can see him jump out, ready to spray a prisoner in custody as a punitive measure, which is not what police are tasked to do. The culture is a major problem, but incidents like this show early signs of change, as the younger generation takes over and those like the Sergeant fade away, thankfully.
Old 01-20-22, 11:41 AM   #6
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

As Bubblehead1980 had alluded to, I doubt this is the first time this particular officer was aggressive or abusive to others. However, with video camera's, police officers are finally being caught at abuses including of their authority. This particular officer was caught on camera and doesn't appear to care. Bubblehead1980 is correct in that abuses such as this are systemic and wide spread.

The bad part is, cities and community's are often stuck paying the legal bills of these officers and the settlements that often occur, without an admission of wrong doing. I have heard people say that the police need to be de-funded. Quite the contrary, I think these officers require many tests including psychological to see if they are fit to be police officers. The schooling required to be a police officer is at the bare minimum as compared to other police officers around the world. I think these officers need on going schooling to do their jobs properly. Police should also have to carry their own liability insurance in the event that they wrongfully hurt or kill someone. If they have to pay their own legal fees, they will think twice if it comes out of their own pockets.

Finally, mechanisms should be put into place to assist these officers in the event they are suffering from ( PTSD ) Post traumatic stress disorder.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 11:56 AM   #7
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Doesn't the American police go through a psychological test ?

In Sweden a coming police officer has to go through both psychological and physical test before s/he is approved to become a police officer.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 12:00 PM   #8
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

In Sweden a coming police officer has to go through both psychological and physical test before s/he is approved to become a police officer.

Markus

They do Markus, upon entering the police academy. Regular evaluations should be the norm however to see if officers remain fit for duty.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 12:27 PM   #9
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

Markus

Yes, as part of the hiring process they do, but it is rarely a actual psych issue the causes the problems, or ones that are not present at time of hiring. There are no regular psych evaluations unless something happens, such as officer involved shooting. Legally, can get hairy trying to preempt things due to civil service laws, police unions, etc.

In most departments across country, pay is low, especially given the potential risks and immense power , and thus hiring standards are low.

Very few of the incidents are caused by psych issues, it is the culture. There is, and has been for a long time, a very authoritarian, "us vs. the public" , thin blue line, police are infallible, increasingly militaristic culture, driven by the "war on drugs" and "war on crime".
Old 01-20-22, 10:29 PM   #10
Gorpet
Still Searching

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
From my home state...disgusting.

This young, female officer stepped up to stop the abuse of a citizen by her jackbooted Sergeant, and he responded by attacking her. No audio, because police have conveniently withheld the audio due to "ongoing investigation."

Well you could provide more info. Like why was he being arrested for in the first place! Post his arrest record. Now as far as this female rookie is concerned you have to call her actions into question. If she is on the job and running on emotion's I sure as hell wouldn't want her working with me if i was a police officer. Running up behind her Sergeant and grabbing his duty belt, well she as a rookie crossed the line and no officer will ever trust her with their lives. This woman does not need to be a police officer. You must be Anti Everything that doesn't fit in your Utopia I was searching for a Heart of Stone the Rolling Stones. Helped me. I found it to be true , Then again your not part of the Old Breed and the New Breed is more feminine as immigrants to Florida are. Now I know your head will explode and you will want to get into a deep conversation. So have at it, it will not change the truth she as a rookie was in the wrong.People in service don't get Sergeant's stripes for nothing.

Last edited by Gorpet; 01-20-22 at 11:19 PM.
Gorpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 11:14 PM   #11
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Public out cry over a situation which they have little if any knowledge of facts. All they have seen is what the media wants them to see, a single screen shot or the media’s commentary of a video plastered on the front page. That in turn gets a knee jerk reaction by City and Police chief. That in turn only serves to reenforce the public’s idea their assumptions were correct. Now comes the investigation and lawyers who attract the politicians and activists. Investigation finds no reason to charge anyone, troops are reprimanded and transferred. Public grumbles and soon forgets and moves on to next headline.

My take, the young lady for whatever reason physically pulled her sergeant away from the car/suspect. Not sure that was such a smart move. But let’s find out and see what the investigation uncovers. Before we get our panties in a bunch over nothing.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 11:25 PM   #12
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Having served 21 years with one valor award, one Officer of the Year award and two previous complaint for excess force, the good jackbooted sergeant has overstayed his career and should retire...that said, his principle problem is that his county's public-defender has correctly pointed out that there are currently 410 ongoing cases of assault against police officers and the sergeant's assault on his fellow officer should be no different; else the 410 other will have legitimate cause for dismissal-a 'double standard' being unacceptable. A criminal assault case is thus looming. The more so as the chief has stated that his officers received specific de-escalation training within the last two years including both the sergeant and the officer he attacked who was obviously fulfilling her training. Once the good sergeant is allowed to retire, the assaulted officer may then also $ue him civilly for assault and battery against his accrued assets. The apparently well-meaning police chief, having only acted after the release of the cam video, needs to quit making public statement for the duration of the internal investigation.
Regardless of what the arrested has done in the past there is no evidence of his resisting so why is the assaulting officer so worked up?

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 11:54 PM   #13
Gorpet
Still Searching

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Public out cry over a situation which they have little if any knowledge of facts. All they have seen is what the media wants them to see, a single screen shot or the media’s commentary of a video plastered on the front page. That in turn gets a knee jerk reaction by City and Police chief. That in turn only serves to reenforce the public’s idea their assumptions were correct. Now comes the investigation and lawyers who attract the politicians and activists. Investigation finds no reason to charge anyone, troops are reprimanded and transferred. Public grumbles and soon forgets and moves on to next headline.

My take, the young lady for whatever reason physically pulled her sergeant away from the car/suspect. Not sure that was such a smart move. But let’s find out and see what the investigation uncovers. Before we get our panties in a bunch over nothing.
It was posted by an Attorney in exile.
Every Attorney office in Florida is working with the Biden Administration to get all the new voters that are bussed and flown in between midnight and six am into our state. Joe pay's them top dollar so there's no problem. For him or his state. Just look at it this way acceptance for you. After all politician's are using your money to pay for it.And as you are experiencing now by summer i don't know how the people that get up every morning at 4:00 am go to work for 12 hrs a day will shoulder the burden of Build Back Better.

Last edited by Gorpet; 01-21-22 at 12:32 AM.
Gorpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 12:01 AM   #14
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorpet View Post
Well you could provide more info. Like why was he being arrested for in the first place! Post his arrest record. Now as far as this female rookie is concerned you have to call her actions into question. If she is on the job and running on emotion's I sure as hell wouldn't want her working with me if i was a police officer. Running up behind her Sergeant and grabbing his duty belt, well she as a rookie crossed the line and no officer will ever trust her with their lives. This woman does not need to be a police officer. You must be Anti Everything that doesn't fit in your Utopia I was searching for a Heart of Stone the Rolling Stones.Helped me. I found it to be true , Then again your not part of the Old Breed and the New Breed is more feminine as immigrants to Florida are
Why he was arrested, his record, etc are simply not germane. Innocent until proven guilty. Cops are not there to be a punitive arm of the legal system, that is not their function. The suspect was in custody, i.e. handcuffed in back of a patrol car, and the Sergeant was going to pepper spray him, because he wanted to, further escalating the situation by abusing a citizen who was in custody. The female officer prevented a citizen from being abused by the Sergeant, literally protected him. Seems she was calm and acted professionally, while they Sergeant was emotional, attempting to take it out on the subject in custody, then turned on her for doing her duty.

"feminine immigrants"? lol I am a Florida native and while no longer reside there, I visit often. Ongoing changes are positive, perhaps will stop being the backwater, corrupt, "Florida man" state, at some point.

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 01-21-22 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-21-22, 12:16 AM   #15
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post

Sounds like "copsplaining". Video is clear, suspect in custody, which none of the other officers were going to spray, Sergeant arrived, can tell was "jacked up", he approaches to spray a suspect in custody, i.e. handcuffed. The female officer saw something wrong and stopped it. Yes, people are accustomed to cops just backing one another up, even when they are wrong. Things are changing and she followed her training as well as moral obligation.

Sergeant committed battery on the female officer, should be charged and fired. Anyone else on video doing such a thing to another person and especially a cop, would be have been arrested already. The department is dragging its feet, this happened in NOVEMBER, it is almost February. Really, does not take this long to investigate something on video, so clear cut. They have withheld the audio, ostensibly because of the "ongoing investigation", but lets be real here, the audio is likely quit damning. When he points at her and say something, I bet his hostile tone, combined with offensive language really is icing on the cake and they don't want to share that until they must.

Those attorneys and activists are why people are aware of this, otherwise would be swept under the rug as happens far too often.