SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Subsims & Naval Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #16
UnderWaterGamer
Seaman
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Home port: Lorient, last reported: grid AN423390
Posts: 40
Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2
Default

So I set the cycles in dosbox to make 5 seconds in the game be 5 seconds in real life but my wave animations are a little slower then what I am used to.

Currently in early 1940, type 2, second patrol and 30.000 tons at the bottom of the atlantic. I'm hoping to get a promotion and a new boat at my return but meanwhile I'm still scouting the Horizon.



Happy Hunting!
UnderWaterGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #17
XenonSurf
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany, Italy
Posts: 1,346
Downloads: 65
Uploads: 1
Default

By investigating the sound problem in CAOD, I have found another trick for the game where you can enable the Sub XXI for single missions:

Go in the menu for single missions, chose convoy encounter, make your setup that you would do with a type XXI u-boat (but you have to chose another one, the XXI is not in the menu), then start the sim and quit.
Go open your file SIMIN.DAT with a hex editor, and change the value of Hex adress 41 to the value 07 (which is for the XXI).
Restart game and single mission menu for convoy encounters, you will see the tab for the sub choice empty - leave it so, don't change it - make other settings, chose your realism and go! You will play with the Type XXI

Now, I want to correct a statement in the Tips section of Subsim about CAOD:
A Sierra developer has said that the Sonar of the type XXI is broken. That's true for CAOD, but not true for the upgraded DOS version, here it works as intended.
You use the XXI sonar by chosing a red line which is a passive sonar contact, the line will turn blue, and you hit the sonar icon on the map. It will give the range of the target. If you go to TDC you will see this range correctly entered with the bearing of the target, that's all you need to fire an acoustic torpedo to hit the target. For the sonar to work you have to be in front of the target at +/-140° at lower speed, your baffles are blind.
You can fire acoustic torpedos Typ V or LUT even if you are at up to 100m depth. Other torpedos should not be used with type XXI, because they will only 'run straight' without any acoustic guidance, so they are useless under water unless you are a genius of a sub commander...

This also means that, alas, type XXI u-boats are useless in CAOD, if you cannot fire torpedos underwater then the whole sub is useless, except its very high underwater top speed of 17 knots and 14 knots full speed. You will have to play the DOS version


History:

What I say here has never happened in WWII, the type XXI just did a 'simulated' attack against a warship before surrendering West of Norway - it was the end of the war...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-19-2019 at 10:14 AM.
XenonSurf is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #18
John Pancoast
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 461
Downloads: 188
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWaterGamer View Post
So I set the cycles in dosbox to make 5 seconds in the game be 5 seconds in real life but my wave animations are a little slower then what I am used to.

Currently in early 1940, type 2, second patrol and 30.000 tons at the bottom of the atlantic. I'm hoping to get a promotion and a new boat at my return but meanwhile I'm still scouting the Horizon.



Happy Hunting!
Try a longer time frame; I use 15 seconds myself. Long slow Atlantic rollers anyway.
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #19
XenonSurf
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany, Italy
Posts: 1,346
Downloads: 65
Uploads: 1
Default

I have moved all CAOD files to a laptop to see if with other sound drivers there would be problems too. Alas, the sound problems in CAOD are fundamental and related to Win95 drivers not working well on modern systems or too fast computers today.

The problems on my laptop were exactly the same, the sound fading out.


Plugging in my speakers to other sound sources (like my GPU) will not change the sound problem, so it's about old game drivers and no solution I guess.


As for my main topic, changing the files in DOS version taken from CAOD to make the deck gun manual in DOS has failed up to now, I'll further see if I can do something...Probably never, because my experiments show that the deck gun routine is hard-coded in the AODCD.exe file directly, or in the single big *.DYN file (not exchangeable with DOS).
My hope still remains in the SHELL\SW files which I try to tweak for DOS (also to correct the Type XXI sonar flaw of CAOD). Whatever, I LIKE modding these old games, it tells me a lot of the work done at that amazing period where making games was really an artwork...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-19-2019 at 10:40 AM.
XenonSurf is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #20
Giesemaschine
Sailor man
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PNW
Posts: 50
Downloads: 55
Uploads: 0
Default

I'm glad people are still playing this classic.

It (IMO) still blows all other subsims out of the water. Chock full of content and immersion...And all of that already in the box when you paid for it!
Giesemaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #21
UnderWaterGamer
Seaman
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Home port: Lorient, last reported: grid AN423390
Posts: 40
Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Try a longer time frame; I use 15 seconds myself. Long slow Atlantic rollers anyway.
Sorry I didn't really understand, you use 15 real life seconds for 5 in game seconds? Because my dos box cycles are at 31% and its slightly to slow for me.

Also XenonSurf, maybe you can try to move all of CAOD's files that are the same as AoD's files in AoD to see if that changes anything, if that's not what you already did... (haven't tried yet and am just curious).

Also, do you have good modern windows programs to open AoD's. DAT files so that I can also try to join in and help? Have already tried with the notepad programs on SH1 and got a bunch of weird characters (even music notes!) and haven't been succesful yet.

Thanks before hand and...

Happy Hunting!
UnderWaterGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #22
John Pancoast
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 461
Downloads: 188
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesemaschine View Post
I'm glad people are still playing this classic.

It (IMO) still blows all other subsims out of the water. Chock full of content and immersion...And all of that already in the box when you paid for it!

I like the SH series but AOD still tops them.
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #23
John Pancoast
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 461
Downloads: 188
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWaterGamer View Post
Sorry I didn't really understand, you use 15 real life seconds for 5 in game seconds? Because my dos box cycles are at 31% and its slightly to slow for me.

Also XenonSurf, maybe you can try to move all of CAOD's files that are the same as AoD's files in AoD to see if that changes anything, if that's not what you already did... (haven't tried yet and am just curious).

Also, do you have good modern windows programs to open AoD's. DAT files so that I can also try to join in and help? Have already tried with the notepad programs on SH1 and got a bunch of weird characters (even music notes!) and haven't been succesful yet.

Thanks before hand and...

Happy Hunting!

No, sorry I time 15 seconds real time with 15 on the game chronometer.
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #24
UnderWaterGamer
Seaman
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Home port: Lorient, last reported: grid AN423390
Posts: 40
Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
No, sorry I time 15 seconds real time with 15 on the game chronometer.
Ok, I will try that to.

Happy Hunting!
UnderWaterGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #25
XenonSurf
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany, Italy
Posts: 1,346
Downloads: 65
Uploads: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesemaschine View Post
I'm glad people are still playing this classic.

It (IMO) still blows all other subsims out of the water. Chock full of content and immersion...And all of that already in the box when you paid for it!

AOD will make it into History, not only because of the best game of its time, but also because providing really historical value documentation and videos. These sub commander's interviews would not be there - or forgotten - if not because of the AOD game!


Note: The online manual and the videos will only work in the DOS game under Dosbox, not in CAOD under Win7 (AFAIK and according to my experiments).
XenonSurf is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:44 AM   #26
UnderWaterGamer
Seaman
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Home port: Lorient, last reported: grid AN423390
Posts: 40
Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
AOD will make it into History, not only because of the best game of its time, but also because providing really historical value documentation and videos. These sub commander's interviews would not be there - or forgotten - if not because of the AOD game!


Note: The online manual and the videos will only work in the DOS game under Dosbox, not in CAOD under Win7 (AFAIK and according to my experiments).
I don’t think all versions of Dos AoD have the awsome Online Manual (I don’t have it...) because the paper manual says that online manuals will only be on older Dos CD versions of the game and changes between the paper manual and the online manual can be found in the readme file.

Happy Hunting
UnderWaterGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #27
XenonSurf
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany, Italy
Posts: 1,346
Downloads: 65
Uploads: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWaterGamer View Post
I don’t think all versions of Dos AoD have the awsome Online Manual (I don’t have it...) because the paper manual says that online manuals will only be on older Dos CD versions of the game and changes between the paper manual and the online manual can be found in the readme file.

Happy Hunting

Yes, the online manual comes with the game's CDROM, it's in the 'OLM' folder that you need to copy into the game folder of Dosbox and mount with D:\
The game executable is instead mounted with C:\


After this, you can launch the manual in the game's main menu, here a serie of screenshots:


https://ibb.co/gtGyNVs
https://ibb.co/DQ9BBbK
https://ibb.co/0cSdfR7
https://ibb.co/2SbGymk
https://ibb.co/VxBwHCX
https://ibb.co/JtKj1Rc

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-21-2019 at 09:16 AM.
XenonSurf is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #28
UnderWaterGamer
Seaman
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Home port: Lorient, last reported: grid AN423390
Posts: 40
Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2
Default

Thanks for the screenshots. I have looked for more info about the Online manual in the paper manual(weird, no?) and I have found out that all the eight interviewed commanders are:

-Admiral Erich Topp
-Reinhard Hardegen
-Admiral Otto Kretschmer (himself!)
-Gerd Thäter
-Hans-Georg Hess
-Jürgen Oesten
-Otto Westphalen
-and Wilhelm Grap

Also, here are some random questions:
-is the U-Boot tour like the very good gato class submarine tour in SH1 with a voice explaining the different stations?
-How do you do a screenshot in fullscreen DOSBox?

Happy Hunting
UnderWaterGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2019 Subsim