SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-21-15, 01:51 PM   #1
zakarpatska
Loader

Downloads: 127
Uploads: 0
Default Sub Command & Windows 8 / 10

Hi Everybody,

I'm having a problem where I am attempting to install Sub Command under windows 10. The issue that I am seeing is that Sub Command just won't start. When I click on the sub command icon the cursor turns into a blue circle for a couple of seconds and then nothing happens. Has anyone else seen this issue?

I should mention that the computer I am trying to install sub command on does not have a CD/DVD drive, so I made ISO images from my CDs on another computer and then copied them to the computer I am trying to install the game on. I then installed the game from the CD images using the Windows 10 option to mount ISO images. Could this be the source of the problem?

I am using the d3d dll which allows Dangerous Waters to run on Windows 10. I am able to play Dangerous Waters and it works great. I used the same process for Dangerous Waters (create ISO images and copy them to the destination computer) and it works well.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
zakarpatska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-15, 02:31 PM   #2
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

My best guess is that the problem is the same as it was for Dangerous Waters; Windows 10 does not have any native backwards DirectDraw 16-bit compatibility. The DLL for Dangerous Waters was written specifically to force that compatibility.

What I suggest is an experiment.

Sub Command and Dangerous Waters are written with the same engine. Try inserting that DLL in the Sub Command directory as you did with Dangerous Waters to see if it works.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-15, 06:18 PM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

This worked for me with Sub Command and Windows 10:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...95#post2369795

All hail, Komat
Old 02-27-16, 06:05 AM   #4
JasonKR
Seaman

Downloads: 105

I dont think this is a Windows 10 problem. I had the same problem with SC on Windows XP. It just hung. You should download and try a No-CD patch / crack. I think it might already come with one in the ISO file. It will replace the icon you use to start the game with another icon, then you double-click on that new icon, and then the game should run. Thats what I did, and then SC worked on my PC. In my opinion, however, Windows XP is still the best OS for all games that do not require DirectX10 or higher. SC requires only DirectX8.

Last edited by JasonKR; 02-27-16 at 06:33 AM.
JasonKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-17, 06:45 PM   #5
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

I found that running SC in windows XP compatibility mode works, except that vessels would not render
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-18, 03:37 PM   #6
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I no longer have my SUBSIM CD. If I download the game from Amazon will the Komat MOD work with it? If it does, where exactly does this MOD file need to go?

edit: never mind I got it figured out. Man, its been about 16 years or so ago but down goes the Kuznetsov (again )

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-17-18 at 08:09 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 04:57 AM   #7
sinnedgrebdus
Nub

Downloads: 30
Default Subsim win 10

All, I am terribly sorry if my specific problem has been covered, but I can't find it if it has.i use win10 64bit. DW with reinforce mod works perfectly. Janes 688i runs perfectly. Fleet Coomand runs perfectly. I use the special dll version 2. No troubles. But Sub Command,,,, I can run Sub Command. The ONLY problem is the start menu where you have the choice to choose multiplayer, missions etc is blank. When I move the cursor over where the choices should be, I get the circular pimg so I know where to click to go where I need to.

So, I CAN use it. I guess I'm a stickler and want it as it should be.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Like I said I haven't seen the same problem as I'm posting.

ThanX so much for any help!
sinnedgrebdus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 09:18 AM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

sinnedgrebdus!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 05:46 PM   #9
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedgrebdus View Post
All, I am terribly sorry if my specific problem has been covered, but I can't find it if it has.i use win10 64bit. DW with reinforce mod works perfectly. Janes 688i runs perfectly. Fleet Coomand runs perfectly. I use the special dll version 2. No troubles. But Sub Command,,,, I can run Sub Command. The ONLY problem is the start menu where you have the choice to choose multiplayer, missions etc is blank. When I move the cursor over where the choices should be, I get the circular pimg so I know where to click to go where I need to.

So, I CAN use it. I guess I'm a stickler and want it as it should be.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Like I said I haven't seen the same problem as I'm posting.

ThanX so much for any help!

There's definitely something wrong. Its only a guess, but it sounds like the title screen can't find the font it needs.
Does this also happen if you change the game resolution?

One last question, does text appear in your Nav map and in your screens that normally show text (radio room, torp room, FTOW, etc.)?

I also run SC on 64 bit Win10, go ahead and start trouble shooting and I might be able to help.
I'd also advise doing an un-install/re-install but be careful how you un-install in Win10. Try it with Win 10's un-install command and see what happens. You should also run CCleaner's reg repair tool (or a similar prog that can repair reg entries) before re-installing.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 03:05 AM   #10
sinnedgrebdus
Nub

Default Sub Command win 10

Thanks Aktungbby!

ET2SN- I should have also mentioned that I run Sub Command with the SCXc mod. I run it the same way on my old win 7 laptop and don't have the problem.

Anyway, yes I do have text on all the other in-game screens, nav, weapons etc. And on the title screen itself I do see the text for the user name with the drop down box and when my mouse goes over where a menu choice should be, I see Sub Command at the top and the circular "ping". Once the mouse is moved, the screen is blank again with only the drop down text box with user name.

I can't change resolution from options in game as you probably knew. I normally have MODE in the .ini file set to 2. I tried it at 0,1,3 and while the game resolution does change, I still have the problem.

As a side note, the moment my screen goes to the title screen, the options do appear, but just for literally a split second, then disappear..

I hate to do a reinstall as I hate messing with registry. But if you tell me it's my only option.........
Old 07-11-19, 09:33 AM   #11
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Doing an un-install/re-install isn't your only option but its usually the easiest way.

I'm also running the SCX mod and I don't recall having problems with it.

You might want to check your SC install disc for scratches and smudges prior to doing a re-install. Otherwise, make sure you let the SCX install run completely once you verify that the stock game works. You should also download a fresh zip file for SCX here and install it.

Hang in there, sometimes these kinds of problems can be tricky to solve.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 07:56 AM   #12
sinnedgrebdus
Nub

Default Sub Command win 10

Many thanks ET2SN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!