SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-09, 10:02 PM   #1
BillyBubble
Watch

Downloads: 331
Uploads: 0
Default Most recent Jutland update

Hi Bullethead & SES team, hi All !

First of all many thanks for that great game !
I bought it some days ago after playing a while with the Demo (plus the DG demo year/s ago) and must say I'm impressed about its whole content and how it has envolved since DG 1.0.

One of the features I am really glad of is the possibilty to have the campaign mode run at realtime, and I mean that literally :-)
Call me silly but this is a feature I missed so much with most, if not all, strat games I know.
Yes I'm sure some of you may find this "passion" a bit irritating and yes, of course, I do use time compression, lol.. but just to comment this a bit, here is the reason why I like the 1:1 realtime feature so much: For me it gives the freedom to explore loads of aspects and content of the campaign mode WHILE it is running and the game/action is actually unfolding... I'm no historian, relatively new to that aera and to tha naval aspect at all, so particularly I like to study and memorize all of the Taskforce details while they are actually on the way or on station, or in port and all this WHILE the game is in progress.

well, until today ... when a new feature has made it into the game which auto pauses it each time a drop down info pops up when hovering the mouse above a Taskforce icon ...
I can imagine it's been requested for some reason to avoid a sudden switch to battlemode or something while studying the drop down info.. but at timescale 1 this should not really be of an issue, is it ?

Dear folks at SES, BulletHead, please switch that feature off, AT LEAST for 1:1 timescale, or make it an *option* in the gamesettings !
I don't see a reason for force-pausing the game on the slowest timescale, especially when just *hovering* for an info. My personally experience is it ruins exact what made me so happy with the campagin mode - the fluent game experience/imagination. Sorry, I know its kinda nitpicking, but I'm just too frustrated atm to keep quiet, I must say.

Honestly, you'd make this poor ol' strategy & war game fan more than happy to have one of his most beloved features back untouched for that gem of a game he finally found

Well, since I already started about issues, please let me point out some other ones I stumbled upon sofar:

• DirextX: when the display mode is switched (and initialized) form fullscreen to windowed, and is turned back (and initialized) to fullscreen mode afterwords, the game crashes with an exception error (usually with a black screen here). My gfx system: nvidia 8800 GTX /forceware 1.82 driving a 1920x1200 TFT. I can reproduce this bug in campaign mode, the CTD happens when I switch back to the campagin map, but I believe it happened while in BattleMode once or twice also.
  • windowed mode: Theres only one possible resolution I can choose of, its a strange 1016 x 741 ! On my 1920 widescreen monitor this looks kinda bit lost of a format ... well ok, my eyes are getting old
  • Battle mode: after a couple of minutes, all ships engine sounds vanish. I hope this isn't intended, but if it is, may I opt for another user setting here (engine sound on/off) ? However, for me it looks rather like a sound glitch, can it be ?

Hope I did not too much of a nagging here as I believe the game deserves quite the contrary, but maybe some usefuleness and constructivity weigh out the critics and eventually add even more to quality and fun of Jutland.

Thanks again &

cheers

-BB

Last edited by BillyBubble; 05-09-09 at 10:12 PM.
BillyBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 10:59 AM   #2
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBubble View Post
well, until today ... when a new feature has made it into the game which auto pauses it each time a drop down info pops up when hovering the mouse above a Taskforce icon ...
Hmmm. I hadn't noticed that myself. I know the campaign used to pause when you selected a TF, but you could restart it and leave the TF selected by clicking that check-mark button in the TF's orders buttons.

Quote:
Dear folks at SES, BulletHead, please switch that feature off, AT LEAST for 1:1 timescale, or make it an *option* in the gamesettings !
We'll consider it. I suggest you send this in to the bug server, but change the message type to SUGGESTION instead of ERROR. That way, it'll be sure to get on the list of things for us to think about.

If you don't know about the bug server, you'll find a link to it in the Start\All Programs\Storm Eagle Studios\Jutland folder.

Quote:
DirextX: when the display mode is switched (and initialized) form fullscreen to windowed, and is turned back (and initialized) to fullscreen mode afterwords, the game crashes with an exception error (usually with a black screen here).
Hmm, this sounds like something on your end that the techs might be able to help with. Send in a bug report on that and we'll see what we can do.

Quote:
windowed mode: Theres only one possible resolution I can choose of, its a strange 1016 x 741 ! On my 1920 widescreen monitor this looks kinda bit lost of a format ... well ok, my eyes are getting old
You can resize the game window by dragging the sides and corners. Note, however, that the aspect ratio isn't fixed when you do this, so you can end up with some distortion if you're not careful. I do my resizing at the main menu and make sure the circular compass thingy in the middle stays circular. The game will remember the window's size next time you run it, so you only have to do this once.

Quote:
Battle mode: after a couple of minutes, all ships engine sounds vanish.
This is usually a sign that your system's being taxed. There's also the issue that there are more sound-producing things in the typical battle than there are sound channels available in DirectX (or whatever it is that has the channels). Thus, the game only plays a fraction of the available sounds and different sounds are always replacing each other. The game tries to play the sounds nearest the POV, but with so many sounds to choose from, and with the POV able to move all over, sometimes it gets a little confused. We're working on that aspect of it.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 03:19 PM   #3
BillyBubble
Watch

Downloads: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
Hmmm. I hadn't noticed that myself. I know the campaign used to pause when you selected a TF, but you could restart it and leave the TF selected by clicking that check-mark button in the TF's orders buttons.
Well, I must admit it is indeed not a update issue, it was an oversight by me, sorry. This functionality seems the same in DG and in Jutland from v1.02x on

However, I'd really like to have this forced pause thingy removed anyways (or better: user selectable), as it distracts form a fluent game experience in my eyes and, most importantly, also because it doesnt seem to have a consisent logic behind its scheme. For example: If a single Taskforce is enroute, hovering the mouse above it has no influence. But if you hover above a stack of TFs the game is auto paused. Why ? And further, after the game ist paused this way und you select TF organization f.e (i.e. menu flyout opens, info rollout closes) the game resumes again and time is progressing even when reorg'ing the TF formations... so the essential question here is, why pausing on info, but resuming on inter/action ?

So generally I'd suggest a optional pause (even for selected TFs as these always pause the game) that is consistent ("yes / no") for
  • a) hovering (info rollout) and
  • b) selection

Quote:
We'll consider it. I suggest you send this in to the bug server, but change the message type to SUGGESTION instead of ERROR. That way, it'll be sure to get on the list of things for us to think about.

If you don't know about the bug server, you'll find a link to it in the Start\All Programs\Storm Eagle Studios\Jutland folder.
Ok thanks, will check out the bug server and try to suggest, but if I may, I have much more confidence in your "direct wire" to Norm to have a word with him in this and maybe get an option for that in one of the future updates ?

Quote:
You can resize the game window by dragging the sides and corners. Note, however, that the aspect ratio isn't fixed when you do this, so you can end up with some distortion if you're not careful. I do my resizing at the main menu and make sure the circular compass thingy in the middle stays circular. The game will remember the window's size next time you run it, so you only have to do this once.
Ah this is a very good hint, too bad I did not notice for myself lol
Resized window makes provides really an option to switch tasks while on patrol now

Thanks !
-BB
BillyBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 04:36 PM   #4
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBubble View Post
I have much more confidence in your "direct wire" to Norm to have a word with him in this... -BB
From the SES POV, I'm a cost of doing business, a mouth to feed. OTOH, you're a source of income. Therefore, while I might endorse a customer request, it really helps if customers ask for something.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-19, 03:48 PM   #5
frigokar
Sailor man

Downloads: 66

You know what...the engine gone after few minutes bug is still here...even on my 2015 system which can run probably 10000 ships at once
frigokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 01:21 PM   #6
Markus_1987
Seaman

Downloads: 85
Default Blackscreen after Jutland install

Hi guys, I was able to install Jutland, the intro videos are running, version is 1.1.6.2, but after that I only see the blank window with Jutland, which is black and it stops for about a minute, then closes by itself. How can I fix this?

I have Windows 10, a Readeon 5500 xT 8GB
CPU is a ryzen 7 3700X 8, RAM 16 GB ddr 4

EDIT: I found the Error, i was log out and now its load an Update

Last edited by Markus_1987; 12-14-20 at 01:56 PM.
Markus_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 07:31 PM   #7
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

Quote:
For what it's worth, they are again addressing tech support issues via tickets but you have to re-register with Stormpowered on their web site. I had returned to Jutland for a time and got a tech support ticket addressed in a couple of business days.

They actually found all of my old account info, which was a bit of a surprize.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-20, 06:16 PM   #8
cheeky_kaleun
Watch

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus_1987 View Post
Hi guys, I was able to install Jutland, the intro videos are running, version is 1.1.6.2, but after that I only see the blank window with Jutland, which is black and it stops for about a minute, then closes by itself. How can I fix this?

I have Windows 10, a Readeon 5500 xT 8GB
CPU is a ryzen 7 3700X 8, RAM 16 GB ddr 4

Yes once you get the updated version of Steam Powered, it all seems to work from there
cheeky_kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote