SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-14-19, 07:29 AM   #1
ZeeboOnline
Swabbie

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default TWoS crashing since update.

Hello everyone. My SH5 just updated through UPlay and now when I launch the game with TWoS mod through the UPlay client the game runs fine up until I either click continue campaign or try to load a save. The game makes an attempt to load but crashes every time. Thanks for any help in advance.
ZeeboOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 08:06 AM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeboOnline View Post
Hello everyone. My SH5 just updated through UPlay and now when I launch the game with TWoS mod through the UPlay client the game runs fine up until I either click continue campaign or try to load a save. The game makes an attempt to load but crashes every time. Thanks for any help in advance.
You should try to start new campaign, as update isn’t probably save compatible
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 08:29 AM   #3
ZeeboOnline
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
You should try to start new campaign, as update isn’t probably save compatible
Thank you for your response. An even newer update just downloaded that was 3GB.

When I try to start a new campaign the game doesn't even try to load and crashes immediately. Also since the update I've noticed that the Ubisoft logo when you first start the game has been appearing. Now it could be that I'm going crazy but I don't believe that was happening before the update. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing both the game and the mod but nothing has changed.

I know that this is most likely an easy fix but I am inexperienced when it comes to mods with this game and any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by ZeeboOnline; 10-14-19 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-14-19, 11:35 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

ZeeboOnline!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 02:40 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > ZeeboOnline
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

I would suggest starting again from scratch.
Uninstall the game from the control panels program and features.
Use a registry cleaner.
How To Use The Free Registry Cleaner 'Ccleaner' > Pictorial > Includes Download Link

Re-install SH5 and when the game is updated check that the game loads to the main menu before installing TWoS.
Update SH5 From v1.0.5.0 To v1.2.0 Immediately After Installing > Pictorial

Download and install the latest TWoS full version 2.2.16 which will not need the update.
Make sure the instructions are followed.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4861

A Pictorial Step By Step Guide Through The Wolves Of Steel (TWOS) Installer > Pictorial
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 03:22 PM   #6
winzaren
Nub

Downloads: 20

I have the same problem. This afternoon Uplay downloaded an update for Silent Hunter 5, since then TWoS doesn't work.
It crashes when I try to load in game, even when with new Campaign.

I've tried a clean reinstall, but the Generic Patcher is unable to patch SH5, as it has different version, than expected. It is still 1.2 though. Looks like Ubisoft released a silent patch that broke the mod.

Vanilla SH5 works without problems.
winzaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 03:27 PM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by winzaren View Post
Looks like Ubisoft released a silent patch that broke the mod.
"Silent patch" ? No , I don't think this is the case. Ubisoft stopped updating SH games looong time ago. You guys should find the way to prevent the uplay to mess up with your game files after you install and patch the game to official v1.2.0...

Happy hunting!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-19, 12:30 AM   #8
winzaren
Nub

I'm aware that they stopped patching SH5 years ago. But they still might dish out a recompiled binary for compatibility reasons. Maybe they want to bring SH5 on uplay+ (SH3 and SH4 are there, SH5 is missing), and needed to make a patch because of that. A simple binary recompile with different framework version is all it takes to break the binary compatiblity required for the generic patcher.

I'm not sure what more than deleting the whole directory, downloading the game, shutting down uplay and starting the TWoS installer I can do. The SH5.exe is different than the Generic Patcher expects.

I installed the mod 5 days ago the same way, without any issues. Today I come home, and after a while I see a pop-up on uplay "Silent Hunter 5 is ready to be played", which means that uplay downloaded something. After this SH5 refused to launch and crashed on the initial loading screen.

After I freshly reinstalled the game and the mod the game crashes after I try to load into any mission.
Old 10-15-19, 02:11 AM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

winzaren!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-19, 03:16 AM   #10
ZeeboOnline
Swabbie

I just tried re-installing everything once again and noticed that while using the generic file patcher to patch the game, a pop up appears roughly saying: 'version error. A version of sh5 is a different version than expected. Patch: independent engine controls change 2. Reason: Bytes read does not equal bytes expected by patch'. This is the only error that appears. After I press enter the patching continues as normal. It is probably also important to note that when patching is completed there are only 8 patches rather than the expected 9.

I feel as though I've tried everything at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-19, 06:00 AM   #11
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I am not certain this would work for an SH5 UPlay version, but I have copied my SH4 UPlay and my Steam SH5 and SH3 to different folders before I patch and / or mod them (SH4 does not have any exe patches). I leave the installed copy of the game as-is. Also, it is important to NOT install into a Program Files folder. But after I install the Stock game, I then copy the entire install inside of the game folder, and paste those contents into a folder of my own choosing elsewhere on the hard drive. Then I do my editing there, and the original install then is the one that the UPlay or Steam app can mess with all they want to. I also do not use the SH4 UPlay shortcut, starting directly from the SH4.exe file. There might be different security on the SH5 game though, and that might not work, I don't know...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-19, 06:05 AM   #12
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community winzaren
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

There is a setting in Uplay to stop games updating which might help.
You cam also set Uplay to go offline.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-19, 06:50 AM   #13
ZeeboOnline
Swabbie

Hello All, I appreciate your efforts to try and help. Unfortunately after trying everything I can think of (re-installing UPlay, logging into UPlay in offline mode, installing TWoS without an internet connection, installing SH5 on a different drive, rebooting PC, re-installing SH5 several times using different methods, disabling auto patches, etc) it is still not working.

I find it very odd that SH5 would download a 3GB patch almost 10 years after release. Does anybody know why and what that could be?

My theory is that the 3GB patch messed with some files (duh) and now TWoS isn't compatible (or doesn't think it's compatible) with SH5. Also just to confirm, my SH5 game is version 1.2.0 which is the correct version I believe for TWoS.
Old 10-15-19, 07:07 AM   #14
winzaren
Nub

Yep, I have the same behaviour.

When I get home I plan to do another fresh reinstall, and then make a checksum from the SH5.exe, this should let us know if ubisoft really updated the executable, or there is something else at play.
Old 10-15-19, 09:09 AM   #15
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

THEBERBSTER has links in his signature that can put you on a couple of helpful tutorials if your are having issues with SH5 and TWoS, with his SH5 <> TUTORIALS <>HOW TO DO IT... thread, just to be certain you are attempting the game installation and mod activation correctly. I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, and if you've been through this, forgive me. The main one that I found helpful was the ... Step By Step Guide Through TWOS Installation, which includes this gem of a picture from vdr1981, taken from the Setup Notes pdf:

Again, if you've done all of that, I'm sorry for the repetition.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote