Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-09-20, 02:53 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Home, smart home...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/06/t...scn/index.html

Not the first time that these electronic toy things get crahsing scores when it comes about their security.

I stick to it: cameras and electric code locks are of little use when you want to really secure your home. Mechanical robustness tops each and everything. Pro burglars do not mind being caught on video or triggering an alarmn, that they are pros means they have an idea how long the reaction time by police or security service is and that they have made sure that theirt face is covered. They run their 3 minute shift or how long they think it is, and then leave no matter what they found or not found. Pros work by a tight timetable.

Do not buy this electric gameplay stuff. Invest in mechnical robustness: thiock doors, protected locks, hardned windows, hardened glass, etc etc.

Consider to have some geese on your property as sensor phalanx, and two hungry dogs to start your counterattack fully automatic.
And maybe a sign for fun: "Watch out poisonous snakes".
Old 07-09-20, 02:57 PM   #2
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

I keep important papers in a safe, and I carry a gun, as does my wife.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 03:15 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

A wife makes you vulnerable to blackmailing. You should get rid of her. Also rewards you a second gun for you remaining free hand.

Serious, over here the bigger threata is not being assaulted while being at home, but burglars breaking into yioru home while you are away.

Have a safe myself, plus an ultra-tough frontdoor, RC class 4+, and magnetic key cylinder thatr for practcially everybody is impossible to mechanically pick.

Two years ago I locked myself out, and learned the hard way that I had - unintnetionally - chosen the wrong safety option for the key cylinder when ordering the door, I thought I had the lock version that allows you to open the door wioth a reserve key from one side while the key still is plugged in on the other side. Well, bad surprise, the key stuck inside, and the reserve I had hidden in a place and used from the outside did not turn... While i had a good opening service (who was absolutely competent and who also wrote a more than fair bill considering the epic work they had to do), the poor guy and his assistant nevertheless needed 2 and a half hours to open the door (by destroying the cylinder with a drilling machine after having peeled of the armoured shield). Using the full collection of tools. The man, a bear of a man who looked like a football player, at 10 p.m. finally sat on the stairs, exhausted, looked at the finally open door through which the light from my flat flooded out, looked up to me with a somewhat empty face and said "Now that was a lesson. I will never forget it."

I sometimes meet the man on the streets, his shop is very close by. I always greet friendly. He never greets back.

To me it was a lesson as well, I paid 220 Euros for working time and service and then a provisional lock, and then had to order a new mechanism from Austria (which the Austrian door producer imports from a company here in my hometown, ironically, but this local company does not sell directly to private customers, and the mechanism also matches Austrian size norms). Costed me another 1100 Euros. Plus over 200 for another key cylinder, and another 250 for a new armour shield. Lesson learned. Thoroughly...

Moral of the story: the Austrians know how to build solid doors. Seen that way, the whole adventure was costly, but a proof of success...

Last edited by Skybird; 07-09-20 at 03:30 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 09:51 PM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
A wife makes you vulnerable to blackmailing. You should get rid of her. Also rewards you a second gun for you remaining free hand.

Lol, that's hard core, man.

Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 12:24 AM   #5
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

I think the USA will be moving up in quality of doors and locks readily available to normal customers since PoPo will no longer be available. All I've got is kwikset, but that's because my almost new schlage locked me in two years ago so I don't trust them. Might need to move up to Medeco. Our doors aren't all that great either. At least I've added longer screws to all of my hardware and pins that protrude from the frame into the door. I've seen some nice doors on offer in Colombia.
Old 07-10-20, 01:54 AM   #6
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

<O>
Old 07-10-20, 04:39 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Not much need for all of the above. I've a man-eating Lhasa Apso

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 06:49 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I've a Lhasa Apso
You sure? With these beasts often it is the other way around.
Old 07-10-20, 11:11 AM   #9
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Its time for the girls to get a new device to mark the bedroom performance of their husband\boyfriend out of 10, imagine a Casanova bragging in the pub and his girlfriends device hears him and shouts loudly "the postmans better than that pillock" now that would be something.
Old 07-10-20, 11:34 AM   #10
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
You sure? With these beasts often it is the other way around.
Rgr that

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote