SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-19, 03:18 PM   #16
divemonkie
Medic

Downloads: 1031
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulldmg View Post
Interesting polar opposite opinion.

While I'd fall into more of the camp of: "SH3 crew managment was bit tedious and boring" and I still haven't played Uboat!
I would like to know, is the crew managment part of Uboat enjoyable process and not an annoying one? and is there an alternative way to play the game if that gameplay loop is not for me exactly?

Thank you!
Lets hope it becomes an option in future. I have the game, seems to run ok on my system but I'll have to wait till I get a larger monitor to see whats going on.

There was a B-17 pilot who described flying missions as hours of tedium punctuated by moments of shear terror...I cant remember where I heard that but it sound bout right.
divemonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 04:03 PM   #17
Sub187
Watch

Downloads: 10

I found crew management VERY tedious in SH3, and not at all in Uboat. It really is more comparable to The Sims than with crew management in previous submarine games.
Sub187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 04:51 PM   #18
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulldmg View Post
Interesting polar opposite opinion.

While I'd fall into more of the camp of: "SH3 crew managment was bit tedious and boring" and I still haven't played Uboat!
I would like to know, is the crew managment part of Uboat enjoyable process and not an annoying one? and is there an alternative way to play the game if that gameplay loop is not for me exactly?

Thank you!
This is the thing, the developers built this game around 'The Sims/Bomber crew/This war of mine management model.
But many have demanded more conventional Silent Hunter style play,
So where the game is now is a bit of mash up between the two, the result is that's its a pretty complicated game to play.

How people have taken to this is really mixed, some really like it as it is. Some love the management play aspects, and others just want a straight up Silent Hunter clone.
Nobody could say which you would fall in to until you have tried it for yourself.

Where the devs will go with it I don't know. But i get the impression they are trying to keep everyone happy, and they will probably keep tuning it to be flexible towards different play styles, but its not quite there yet, if you want to play it kinda like SH5, as it stands, you 'sort of' can - but its quite hard work.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 05:39 PM   #19
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
This is the thing, the developers built this game around 'The Sims/Bomber crew/This war of mine management model.
But many have demanded more conventional Silent Hunter style play,
So where the game is now is a bit of mash up between the two, the result is that's its a pretty complicated game to play.

How people have taken to this is really mixed, some really like it as it is. Some love the management play aspects, and others just want a straight up Silent Hunter clone.
Nobody could say which you would fall in to until you have tried it for yourself.

Where the devs will go with it I don't know. But i get the impression they are trying to keep everyone happy, and they will probably keep tuning it to be flexible towards different play styles, but its not quite there yet, if you want to play it kinda like SH5, as it stands, you 'sort of' can - but its quite hard work.
I am always amused when people describe UBOAT as tedious to play. xD I have 3500hrs playtime with Hearts of Iron 3. THIS game is tedious, and I love it. In comparison UBOAT is a joke...but a pretty entertaining one.
Hjalfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 06:04 PM   #20
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjalfnar View Post
I am always amused when people describe UBOAT as tedious to play. xD I have 3500hrs playtime with Hearts of Iron 3. THIS game is tedious, and I love it. In comparison UBOAT is a joke...but a pretty entertaining one.
Well yeah, but not everyone is a Hjalfnar.
Old 05-05-19, 06:29 PM   #21
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

If you have ever played Microprose's B-17 the mighty eighth, this is the exact same game, only aboard a U-boat instead of a B-17 bomber.

the game wont be for everyone.

if you read through this and have been keeping up with the thread and videos and release notes dev diarys etc and were expecting a sandbox survival game - as advertised - congratulations, you wont be disappointed.

If you didnt do the above, and were thinking this was going to be hours of watching a circle drive across a map while you didnt have to do anything expect sink ships and not run out of gas, well.. you will be sorely upset about your purchase.

this game is 100% about managing your crew, and im not talking about stuff like making sure the radio man goes to the radio when he is supposed to, or making the watch crew individually go on deck... because they do that stuff automatically under 90% of circumstances.

where this game shines, is that you are in charge of a crew of 20 some odd officers and sailors now, not just a one man point and click captain.

do you like playing sims 4?

do you like playing silent hunter?

marry the two and live happily ever after.

but if you HATE sims 4 but LOVE silent hunter... this would be a solid pass.

personally, im crazy about this game and have dedicated an embarrassing amount of play time to it over the past few days.
Old 05-06-19, 04:07 AM   #22
Justaguyinnc
Seaman

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood View Post
Really painful to walk in them right now.

Most new shoes are... once broken in.. they become part of you.. hang in there.. it is all a "normal" process..
Old 05-06-19, 06:58 AM   #23
Jojojung
Seaman

Downloads: 50

I have to say that I'm really disappointed from the game. There is such a good basework for a real SH5 TWoS successor, but the gameplay is like "The Sims".

My Review of the game in german at steam and the answer from the Uboat Team:

Ich hatte gehofft, dass Spiel legt ein wenig mehr Fokus auf Simulation und Realismus statt auf Arcade Gameplay. Vielleicht sogar als würdiger SH Nachfolger. Auch wenn beispielsweise SH5 erst durch den Mods spiel- und erlebbar wurde (z.B. The Wolves of Steel Mod), ist es doch mein Genre. Zumal es dafür eigentlich alles mitbringt was man braucht. Viele Stationen des Bootes sind detailliert nachempfunden und lassen sich auch gut bedienen. Grafik ist ansprechend, Explosionen auf Schiffen sehen super aus. Abgesehen von der Sprache sind viele nette Aspekte enthalten, die Spieltiefe vermitteln können, wie z.B. Funksprüche, Radiosender etc.
Aber das Spiel hat für meinen Geschmack (Simulationsfan) deutlich zuviel von "Die Sims". Zuoft muss man Vorratsschränke auffüllen, Werkzeug holen, mit einer Spielfigur einen Scheinwerfer ausschalten und zu detailierte / relativ unrelevante Crewaufgaben vergeben. Wenn ich vor einem anlaufenden Zerstörer wegtauchen muss, möchte ich nicht erstmal mit Max Mustermann zur Ventilstation schlendern und da die Ventile öffnen (ist im Spiel übrigens die falsche Ventilstation, aber egal).
Weiterhin merkt man stark, dass das Spiel natürlich auf den Mainstream Gamer ausgelegt ist - was grundsätzlich dem Entwickler natürlich nicht vorzuwerfen ist - und damit er auch schnell und möglichst andauernd Spaß hat, werden Aspekte die für einen Simulationsfreak unabdingbar sind, reduziert oder weggelassen (z.B. realistische Nachladezeiten, Sauerstoffvorrat, Distanzen und Geschwindigkeiten sowie Fahrverhalten des Bootes sind sehr sehr stark vereinfacht usw.). Der Durchschnittsspieler wird also nicht der aus der SH oder IL2 Community kommen, wo Spiele, die schon mehrere Jahre (gar Jahrzehnte) alt sind, immernoch gespielt werden oder wo Fans sich über Stunden ohne Zeitkompression an einen feindlichen Gleitzug heransschleichen, eigene Erkennungsbücher auf dem Schoss liegen haben und Schusswinkel selbst berechnen, nur um dann letztendlich den einen Treffer zu landen und das Schiff zu versenken. Das Zielpublikum von "UBOAT", wird einige Wochen vielleicht sogar einige Monate Spaß an dem Arcade-Stil des Spiel haben und es dann beiseite legen, schätze ich.
Sehr schade, denn ich glaube, dass bei der grundsätzlichen Modelltiefe des Bootes, die das Spiel bietet auch für Simulationsgamer mehr herauszuholen wäre. Eventuell mit einem "echten Simulationsmodus", dazu müsste aber die Spielphysik zu sehr überarbeitet werden.
Hab daher zunächst einmal leider die Rückerstattung beantragt. Würde dem Spiel aber eine 2. Chance geben, wenn es sich doch noch etwas mehr in die Simulationsgenre entwickeln würde, oder diesen Gamemodus zulassen würde.

Zum Schluss möchte ich ergänzen, dass ich auf Grund der Steam-Regularien natürlich nur wenig Zeit hatte das Game anzuspielen, da sonst die Rückerstattungsoption wegfällt. Für das Tutorial und 2 "Feindfahrten" im Sandbox-Modus hat es aber dennoch gereicht.
Ich hoffe dieses Review ist nützlich für alle, die auf einen SH Nachfolger mit echter Simulationstiefe hoffen.

-------------------------

Hello! Thanks for such extensive review.

We have never tried to make a Silent Hunter spiritual successor but we think we're taking the best from two worlds... And we are aware some players are not looking for crew management experience - but we would urge anyone to at least give UBOAT a chance, especially after we release some additional patches.

Take care,
Korvettenkapitän

---------------------------

Hallo Korvettenkapitän,

I expected that and it is fully understandable. So please don't understand my review as a general rejection of your good project, but my personal hope was a different style of gameplay. I appreciate your projekt and your faithfully work in creating the VIIC Model.

Jojojung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 07:43 AM   #24
italianmarine
A-ganger

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojojung View Post
I have to say that I'm really disappointed from the game. There is such a good basework for a real SH5 TWoS successor, but the gameplay is like "The Sims".

Ich hatte gehofft, dass Spiel legt ein wenig mehr Fokus auf Simulation und Realismus statt auf Arcade Gameplay. Vielleicht sogar als würdiger SH Nachfolger. Auch wenn beispielsweise SH5 erst durch den Mods spiel- und erlebbar wurde (z.B. The Wolves of Steel Mod), ist es doch mein Genre. Zumal es dafür eigentlich alles mitbringt was man braucht. Viele Stationen des Bootes sind detailliert nachempfunden und lassen sich auch gut bedienen. Grafik ist ansprechend, Explosionen auf Schiffen sehen super aus. Abgesehen von der Sprache sind viele nette Aspekte enthalten, die Spieltiefe vermitteln können, wie z.B. Funksprüche, Radiosender etc.
Aber das Spiel hat für meinen Geschmack (Simulationsfan) deutlich zuviel von "Die Sims". Zuoft muss man Vorratsschränke auffüllen, Werkzeug holen, mit einer Spielfigur einen Scheinwerfer ausschalten und zu detailierte / relativ unrelevante Crewaufgaben vergeben. Wenn ich vor einem anlaufenden Zerstörer wegtauchen muss, möchte ich nicht erstmal mit Max Mustermann zur Ventilstation schlendern und da die Ventile öffnen (ist im Spiel übrigens die falsche Ventilstation, aber egal).
Weiterhin merkt man stark, dass das Spiel natürlich auf den Mainstream Gamer ausgelegt ist - was grundsätzlich dem Entwickler natürlich nicht vorzuwerfen ist - und damit er auch schnell und möglichst andauernd Spaß hat, werden Aspekte die für einen Simulationsfreak unabdingbar sind, reduziert oder weggelassen (z.B. realistische Nachladezeiten, Sauerstoffvorrat, Distanzen und Geschwindigkeiten sowie Fahrverhalten des Bootes sind sehr sehr stark vereinfacht usw.). Der Durchschnittsspieler wird also nicht der aus der SH oder IL2 Community kommen, wo Spiele, die schon mehrere Jahre (gar Jahrzehnte) alt sind, immernoch gespielt werden oder wo Fans sich über Stunden ohne Zeitkompression an einen feindlichen Gleitzug heransschleichen, eigene Erkennungsbücher auf dem Schoss liegen haben und Schusswinkel selbst berechnen, nur um dann letztendlich den einen Treffer zu landen und das Schiff zu versenken. Das Zielpublikum von "UBOAT", wird einige Wochen vielleicht sogar einige Monate Spaß an dem Arcade-Stil des Spiel haben und es dann beiseite legen, schätze ich.
Sehr schade, denn ich glaube, dass bei der grundsätzlichen Modelltiefe des Bootes, die das Spiel bietet auch für Simulationsgamer mehr herauszuholen wäre. Eventuell mit einem "echten Simulationsmodus", dazu müsste aber die Spielphysik zu sehr überarbeitet werden.
Hab daher zunächst einmal leider die Rückerstattung beantragt. Würde dem Spiel aber eine 2. Chance geben, wenn es sich doch noch etwas mehr in die Simulationsgenre entwickeln würde, oder diesen Gamemodus zulassen würde.

Zum Schluss möchte ich ergänzen, dass ich auf Grund der Steam-Regularien natürlich nur wenig Zeit hatte das Game anzuspielen, da sonst die Rückerstattungsoption wegfällt. Für das Tutorial und 2 "Feindfahrten" im Sandbox-Modus hat es aber dennoch gereicht.
Ich hoffe dieses Review ist nützlich für alle, die auf einen SH Nachfolger mit echter Simulationstiefe hoffen.

We have never tried to make a Silent Hunter spiritual successor but we think we're taking the best from two worlds... And we are aware some players are not looking for crew management experience - but we would urge anyone to at least give UBOAT a chance, especially after we release some additional patches.

Take care,
Korvettenkapitän

Hallo Korvettenkapitän,

I expected that and it is fully understandable. So please don't understand my review as a general rejection of your good project, but my personal hope was a different style of gameplay. I appreciate your projekt and your faithfully work in creating the VIIC Model.

Since TWoS is a mod which took time to develop, also Uboat will have mods and I am sure that also for the harcoresimmers, there will be added more stuff. TDC can be used already and you can calculate on the map. It will be updated soon once the bugfixing will be done. (that's why it is called Early Access)

Last edited by italianmarine; 05-06-19 at 07:53 AM.
italianmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 08:17 AM   #25
Jonesy
Sailor man

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojojung View Post

Take care,
Korvettenkapitän

Hallo Korvettenkapitän,

I have been tempted to buy it to give it a try a couple of times...because the game does have some nice graphics....but the "sims" aspect keeps snapping me out of it.
Old 05-06-19, 08:20 AM   #26
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

This game was never advertised as a Silent Hunter clone. The kickstarter was 100% about the crew management concept.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 08:25 AM   #27
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Yeah I don't know why people are 'dissapointed' its not like SH, I can only assume they looked a screen shots and hardly read anything about it.
Still they can likley mod it to play that way in future if don't just refund it.
Old 05-06-19, 08:56 AM   #28
Jojojung
Seaman

Downloads: 50

I know that the game concept was not a SH like simulation game and more about "crew management". I don't put the blame on the developers but I hoped it can be used more in a simulation gameplay style. So I tried it.
At the moment it's no game for me personaly, because of to many foolish things to do with the crew instead of concentrate on the combat itself.

But I see a great perspective for the game if it is modded in a simulation matter.
Jojojung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 02:19 AM   #29
charognard
Navy Dude

Downloads: 201

I did my first game yesterday on Uboat, and after so many time on SH games, it s a bit difficult to switch... But, even if i think, too many things are missing (no salvo, no spread angle, no torpedo speed settings, no torpedo deep settings, no magnetic detonators, no access to chronometer on map screen, no charts... ) I take pleasure to make this first patrol... First target sunk easly, with manual fire solution find on the map, the second, was with a ****ing bad 139° aob at 5km, easy shoot for me on any moded SH but a miss on Uboat

The game is prety young, i m sure we'll get like in SH some difficulty and realism options available later during the game dev, aswel about more ships, subs and all things needed in a good Uboat simulation. I don't think the crew management is actually perfect, but it's a good start and a fresh way to play with our favorites toys
charognard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 10:02 AM   #30
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemonkie View Post
There was a B-17 pilot who described flying missions as hours of tedium punctuated by moments of shear terror...I cant remember where I heard that but it sound bout right.
Best evidence indicates that the phrase was first used to describe trench warfare in World War 1, when it was "Months of bordom etc).
https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...rror-come-from