SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-31-20, 10:53 PM   #1
Captain Johno
Swabbie

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default carreer starting advice with U-boat types, availability, and flotills

Happy New Year Sub Simmers,

I have finally launched my own career starting in 1939 from Kiel in Type IIA U-boats, having completed all 5 tutorials in SH3, after it was modded. Tough shake down for a new Captain, but I passed with excellent results, except for the anti-aircraft (pass only).

But none the less I survived and now having read, underlined and bookmarked all relevant information in the V3 manual and researched forums, my install methodology follows that of "Wolfpack345" and His mods list with GWX3 + SH3Commander.

So after introducing myself on this New Years day, the advice I'm seeking is this:

Having first just completed my first 9 day patrol, in and around the English Channel and where the war hasn't even began - "01AUG39 - 09AUG39 (9 days)". I have "Randomize number of days spent in base" but by my estimations I have another 2 patrols to complete before my 3rd war patrol begins ! Can I speed that up without having to use time compression !
Or do I have to just suck it up and spend time with mu boat getting to know the crew?

Lastly, having read the U-boat types and availability matrix on page 177 of the GWX3 Manual V3 , 1st Flotilla at Kiel has type ""IID" in October 39 along with Type VIIB as of July-39. However, as I started my campaign running Sh3Commander with "Use historic availability dates" selected, I am now stuck with Type IIA for a year until Sep 1940.

Can I successfully roll this back as instructed in the "SH3Commander" manual without effecting my career in the game. I would attempt this while in Port and in between patrols at some time!.
I eventually want to transfer to 2nd Flotilla in 1940 at some time, but wish to
trial the type D's before I do!
The other options would be to start a second career in the 2nd Flotilla, allowing me to cover the bandwidths and types of all U-boats anyway.

Best regards ,

Captain Johno

Last edited by Captain Johno; 01-01-21 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Updata
Captain Johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 12:00 PM   #2
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Johno View Post
Happy New Year Sub Simmers,

I have finally launched my own career starting in 1939 from Kiel in Type IIA U-boats, having completed all 5 tutorials in SH3, after it was modded. Tough shake down for a new Captain, but I passed with excellent results, except for the anti-aircraft (pass only).

But none the less I survived and now having read, underlined and bookmarked all relevant information in the V3 manual and researched forums, my install methodology follows that of "Wolfpack345" and His mods list with GWX3 + SH3Commander.

So after introducing myself on this New Years day, the advice I'm seeking is this:

Having first just completed my first 9 day patrol, in and around the English Channel and where the war hasn't even began - "01AUG39 - 09AUG39 (9 days)". I have "Randomize number of days spent in base" but by my estimations I have another 2 patrols to complete before my 3rd war patrol begins ! Can I speed that up without having to use time compression !
Or do I have to just suck it up and spend time with mu boat getting to know the crew?

Lastly, having read the U-boat types and availability matrix on page 177 of the GWX3 Manual V3 , 1st Flotilla at Kiel has type ""IID" in October 39 along with Type VIIB as of July-39. However, as I started my campaign running Sh3Commander with "Use historic availability dates" selected, I am now stuck with Type IIA for a year until Sep 1940.

Can I successfully roll this back as instructed in the "SH3Commander" manual without effecting my career in the game. I would attempt this while in Port and in between patrols at some time!.
I eventually want to transfer to 2nd Flotilla in 1940 at some time, but wish to
trial the type D's before I do!
The other options would be to start a second career in the 2nd Flotilla, allowing me to cover the bandwidths and types of all U-boats anyway.

Best regards ,

Captain Johno

If you want to get to a future patrol sooner just load the current patrol and then exit it until you get to the date you want.
There are files you can edit but this saves you from doing that if desired.
Old 01-09-21, 07:45 AM   #3
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Yeah don't have historical ship availability dates enabled, that's only for historical purists, it makes the game less enjoyable for everyone else, who doesn't mind getting to play with nice submarines slightly earlier.

I've attached a screenshot of the GWX flotilla availability dates:
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote