SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-29-19, 08:59 AM   #1
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Default Lobby choices and information

It would be useful if one could see the difficulty configuration and other information before committing to a choice of lobby, so that clicking on a lobby told you the difficulty setting, weather, sea, number of free boats and number of players. Also useful would be some indication of the predominant language spoken, and whether bots are in use.

The players name is sometimes hard to determine via discord, so giving each lobby the name of a convoy, plus the hosting players name would be useful, ie instead of "++Bloggz++" it became "PQ17 - ++Bloggz", so that the name of the lobby (server) could be identified either by recognition of the name, or by the convoy number.

All too often I select a lobby, and discover it's a tutorial mission or dense-fog, and in order to find a better one have to quit and re-start the game working through the lobbies or start a new one. (given the bug that requires a restart to be able to make a lobby after exiting one in the same play session.)
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-19, 05:11 PM   #2
gurudennis
Mate

Downloads: 2

A thousand times yes please.

As a cherry on top, when I hover the mouse over the lobby name, I'd like to see a tooltip with the names of all people in the lobby.

That, and dedicated server support.
gurudennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 11:33 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Good ideas, right now Oscar and Einar are focused on integrating the map and terrain components, then creating the level editor in preparation for Scapa Flow. I don't know if they will sidetrack for any more updates until they get to that point. I do know we have discussed the ideas you raised for making the lobby screen offer more info, primarily the length of time the game has been going -- that's a big deal, so players will know if the game is new, then they should join/ if the game is 45 minutes old, then they should not join as it could be ending soon.

When you join a game, you can see the mission specs (training mission/skirmish, day/night/ weather, bots, etc) but it does not give the player a pause and proceed buffer, so you can to look fast. Ideally the player will have that pause with a proceed button to decide if he wants to go fwd with joining.

Discord info will be left out in favor of VoIP. Oscar has checked into that and Steam has some good tools for it so we are confident it will be added to the game at some point.

Having a checkbox in the lobby setup for language is a great idea, really good thinking! So the lobby host can let the pool of players know what to expect before joining.

Lastly, yes, we all agree the current system is not ideal without host migration/dedicated server support, and that is a priority down the line. As I said, don't look for that until they complete the mission editor tools and Scapa Flow. We have to avoid pulling these guys off into 50 different directions if we want to make efficient progress. Most players are taking a break from Wolfpack, and that's cool. When the game moves into second gear, you will find it even more rewarding.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 12:22 PM   #4
Fidd
XO

Hi Onkel,

Please don't in interpret my posts as impatience to get xyz done, but rather, if there's anything useful in there you can stick it in the "ideas bucket" for future attention. I'm glad some if seemed useful.
Old 12-30-19, 02:26 PM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I know, and thanks, you have many of the best ideas too! I really like how you think these things through.
Old 02-22-20, 09:31 AM   #6
Fidd
XO

I'd like to add a suggestion to these, namely some sort of ping tests over a short period to determine not just a one-off "delay" value in ms, but an indication of the solidity of the connection, so that one can see connections which are of variable quality likely to cause "skipping" as the convoy position on your front end "catches up" with that of the lobby.

Provided of course, that such connections tests don't actually cause problems for those already playing!