Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-20, 09:59 PM   #1
Gordonkatt
Nub

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Which sh5 version to buy ?

So i was planning on starting up sh5 again on a new PC but after reading that the latest twos wont work with play version I am thinking of buying it of steam because I read that twos conversion tool will make it work. But i have heard that you can buy a non steam and play DVD version but i cant seam to find it on amazon.

So my question is this. Will i be able to run twos if i buy it from steam or is there something of a non steam and play version of sh5 ?

Thank you
Gordonkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 10:44 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Gordonkatt!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 11:05 PM   #3
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonkatt View Post
So i was planning on starting up sh5 again on a new PC but after reading that the latest twos wont work with play version I am thinking of buying it of steam because I read that twos conversion tool will make it work. But i have heard that you can buy a non steam and play DVD version but i cant seam to find it on amazon.

So my question is this. Will i be able to run twos if i buy it from steam or is there something of a non steam and play version of sh5 ?

Thank you
The latest TWoS does work with Uplay. I have the SH5 Gold edition download and Sh5 with TWoS runs fine.
You can run TWoS with Uplay or steam. Though it is challenging to get TWoS to work with the Steam version.
Plus, you need both the Steam SH5 and the Uplay sh5 because Steam requires Uplay for Sh5 to run. I would suggest buying the gold edition download off of Amazon and downloading it on to Uplay, or you can buy it off the Ubisoft store.
I don't think that there is a Steam nor Uplay version of Sh5. So it is either just Uplay or both Uplay and Steam.

Please tell me if that did not answer your question.

By the way, welcome to subsim!

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 01:52 AM   #4
Compans57
Officer

Downloads: 74

I have the steam version, run it on Uplay and after a bit of jiggling about it runs just great with TWOs. Best 10 bucks I ever spent.
Compans57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 01:56 AM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

I think you have somewhat misunderstood this subject the Beast. Any sh5 version will work just fine with TWoS. Everything is described in TWoS install instructions pdf which can be found on the main TWoS download page.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 11:50 AM   #6
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Oh, forgive me! My bad!

Yes, any version will work with TWoS, but I would recommend using the Uplay version. It is completely up to you with what version you would want to use.

You can run any version with TWoS. Steam or Ubisoft, just make sure it is patched to version 1.2

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-20, 12:01 PM   #7
Gordonkatt
Nub

thank you so much for your posts. The reason i am still wondering is becuse in october there was an uplay update for sh5 that apperently made sh5 unplayable
Old 05-19-20, 01:35 PM   #8
momps
Watch

Downloads: 15

I don't know about recent versions of SH5 on Uplay, but I purchased my version about 2 years ago. The key to making The Wolves of Steel work on Steam/Uplay was this key instruction:

"If you own Uplay download version of the game, you'll have to perform manual sh5.exe
replacement before you proceed to TWoS installation. Valid v1.2.0 sh5.exe from DVD version of the game can be found on this link...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/x48vge...5/sh5.zip/file
If you own Steam version, just “Accept” Steam Conversion Tool* which will be offered during the mod installation. (*Steam shouldn't be active in the background while doing this) In order to verify your installation, make sure to launch stock v1.2.0 game at least once before you install TWoS megamod. It is strongly recommended to reactivate/pause your Anti Virus protection during the mod installation process due to possible false positive warnings. Ensure that SH5, Uplay or Steam are not active in the background while installing the mod! Note that regardless of selected language options during the stock game installation, TWoS will adjust your game for gameplay with English language texts and German voices."

You must replace the sh5.exe file from the Steam version. If you download TWOs the instructions are clear, but must be followed exactly.
Momps
momps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-20, 05:29 PM   #9
Gordonkatt
Nub

I just installed the dvd exe and at first it was really har making it worked but I think I solved it and got a working desktop exe. As of right now twos is working (fingers crossed)