Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 09-11-09, 03:31 AM   #1
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default IL2 Birds of Prey

So, the dreaded Birds of Prey is finally amongst us . Has anyone played it yet? I have to say I have been curious as to what it's like so I downloaded the PS3 demo last night and gave it a whirl. Obviously I can't pass too much judgement having only played the demo however it was surprisingly good! It has brilliant graphics, in fact the ground scenery has to be some of the best I've ever seen, the planes all look pretty good, nice clouds etc. I was pleasantly surprised to see it has a very detailed cockpit view, as well as a chase view and HUD view. So as far, as looks go, it's not too much different from it's PC counterpart. Ok, gameplay. Yes it is quite arcadey, as you'd imagine, but there are 3 difficulty modes, 'Arcade' is pretty self explanitory, usual easy flight model, only takes about 3 hits to take down a He111, 'Realistic' I didn't actually try lol, however 'Simulator' dramatically improves the feel of the game, it overhauls the flight model, removes all target indicators, increases the gun recoil, reduces gun damage etc so if you were to use a joystick with it it would be pretty good (if its possible to use a joystick with a PS3?) I think overall, as a console title, it's not bad. Since games like Secret Weapons Over Normandy and Heroes of the Pacific, the console market has had a lack of decent WWII air combat games, this could just fill that gap.

Don't judge a ship by the number of it's guns, but by the skill of it's crew.
ajrimmer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 03:52 AM   #2
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrimmer42 View Post
......reduces gun damage etc so if you were to use a joystick with it it would be pretty good (if its possible to use a joystick with a PS3?) I think overall, as a console title, it's not bad............
This Joystick is supported - Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas

Did you not notice the horrible screen tearing in all the cockpit views and near the ground. I asked the Producer from 505 games about this and he replied that the game had been optimised for the disk release. IT HAD NOT, ****ing liars. Game was returned the same day. I will buy it again IF they fix the PS3 version.
Old 09-11-09, 03:56 AM   #3
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa View Post
This Joystick is supported - Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas

Did you not notice the horrible screen tearing in all the cockpit views and near the ground. I asked the Producer from 505 games about this and he replied that the game had been optimised for the disk release. IT HAD NOT, ****ing liars. Game was returned the same day. I will buy it again IF they fix the PS3 version.
Can't say I noticed it tbh, I'll take another look though.

Don't judge a ship by the number of it's guns, but by the skill of it's crew.
ajrimmer42 is offline   Reply With Quote