Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-10-22, 08:28 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Paypal refuses to process donation

Wanted to do my yearly christmas donation.

I log in to subsim, click on "donate", click on 50$, get transferred to the login for paypal, enter may email, paste and copy my login code for paypal, confirm to get an SMS, get that SMS, enter that 6-digit code in that SMS - and then suddenly they want to call me for ID verification. Hm, unusual, but okay, I click again that I agree to get called by them, and they post on the screen a 4 digit code that I should enter on the phone when I get called. But the call never comes, instead a message on screen that there is some problem.

I tried this:
on Linux laptop with Firefox
on Linux laptop with Vivaldi
on W10 PC with Firefox
on W10 PC with Edge
on Android tablet with Chrome

I call their service number. They say my account is fine, my system were messed up, it were not their fault. As usual with such service numbers, the effort is a total waste of time.

It worked the last years.

I logged into Steam and added funds to my wallet, have to buy some stuff anyway, so that was fine. It worked. I transferred ten cents to my paypal account manually, and it worked, half an hour later (new record, I think, usually it takes some hours) it was there. I transferred it back to my bank account, the bank has not yet confirmed that it got it, but the money is no more on my paypal account at least, so I guess that works fine as well.

Any ideas? I am out of advice. Is it due to transaction done to the US, maybe? Last time I did that was maybe ten weeks ago or so, to eSim for the latest SBP version, and it worked.

Last edited by Skybird; 12-10-22 at 11:00 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-22, 04:25 PM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I can only come up with one solution, since you don't like credit card.

The solution is International Money Order.

Before I had credit card-Was not interested I used this when I ordered thing from USA or UK.

Today I use credit card because we have this 2 steps confirmation.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-22, 05:37 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

I rather prefer to have the procedure workign as intended within paypal. And like it did. Usually my transactions with paypal are all inside Germany, but the one to eSim in California also worked. It works allways. And it nworked with Subsim in the past, too. I mean this thing today is no two but three way verification. The telefon number I entered into my account, is correct, however. They said that the account looks all fine to them, and that there must be a problem at my end of the wire, but as I described in the first post: I checked that and it works all fine. I charged up my steam wallet today (and bought Vemrillion). I transfered 10 cents from my bank account to PP, and from PP back to my bank. It worked. And quickly.

I am absolutely clueless. It worked the past years with subsim, too.

I will not get a new credit card and pay 30-60 euros per year for not needing it, just to donate once a year to Neal. That economic logic would be a bit deranged.
Old 12-10-22, 11:11 PM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Wow, what a hassle. Sorry about all that trouble, I don't have any idea why that's so difficult. I appreciate your desire to contribute but I don't want you to have to go to all that trouble, Marc. Maybe wait till next year and PP can get their stuff sorted. Have a great Christmas!
Old 12-11-22, 09:25 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Iwill let two weeks go by or so, and thensee whether something has changed on their side. The problem is the third factor verification, the phone call home that they announce - but that never comes. Strange. Both that it does not work, and the fact that it is demanded. The subsim donation here and now is the first and only opportunity PP has ever demanded that, even with other payments to the US I never was asked of that. I'm clueless. Their online reply screen even says its them having the problem, but their service telephone guy tells me its not them, but me?!

It makes no sense. I will try again later.
Old 12-12-22, 07:41 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Had another exchange with Paypal, this time via chat, ending up with plenty of clueless phrases and the promise that their technical special service would call me back until Monday evening.

Which did not happen.

We must digitize money and the world. Its safe. And so good.

Well, maybe tomorrow then. Three attempts with them - three fails so far. I have nothing more to do to stand all day ready for them, so why waiting one day if with just some hours more you can wait two days.

On a sidenote, my everyday bank has locked out thousands and thousands of customer from their access to their online banking soince 2-3 weeks, while having had problems since early this year and not getting it solved. Me is one of their winners here, too, for every little thing I now need to go to the bank. Even accessing the automat needed me first registering at the counter. Heck, its the Deutsche Bank, not just some small nobody. More and more things break down over here, it seems.

Its not linked to the Paypal issue, since I have used paypal three times in the past 14 days.

Reminds me of a joke I once heard: "The other day, work was horrible and life in general felt really bad. Then I heard a voice from the sky saying, "Oh rejoice and be glad, mortal, it could be worse!" So I rejoiced and was glad - and behold, it got worse!
Old 12-13-22, 04:51 AM   #7
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I came up with another solution.

Bank transfer to bank.

Which mean you need Neals IBAN and SWIFT numbers.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-22, 05:31 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Had another exchange with Paypal, this time via chat, ending up with plenty of clueless phrases and the promise that their technical special service would call me back until Monday evening.

Which did not happen.

We must digitize money and the world. Its safe. And so good.

Well, maybe tomorrow then. Three attempts with them - three fails so far. I have nothing more to do to stand all day ready for them, so why waiting one day if with just some hours more you can wait two days.

On a sidenote, my everyday bank has locked out thousands and thousands of customer from their access to their online banking soince 2-3 weeks, while having had problems since early this year and not getting it solved. Me is one of their winners here, too, for every little thing I now need to go to the bank. Even accessing the automat needed me first registering at the counter. Heck, its the Deutsche Bank, not just some small nobody. More and more things break down over here, it seems.

Its not linked to the Paypal issue, since I have used paypal three times in the past 14 days.

Reminds me of a joke I once heard: "The other day, work was horrible and life in general felt really bad. Then I heard a voice from the sky saying, "Oh rejoice and be glad, mortal, it could be worse!" So I rejoiced and was glad - and behold, it got worse!
Not sure if this will help you Marc but I had a similar experience just a few weeks ago regarding my Subsim donation....

Using my VISA credit card which is my 'preferred' option when paying for something via PayPal. Used this method regularly and even just two days prior to donating...transaction refused by PayPal....after two further attempts which were also refused, contacted Neal and even sent screenshots of the refusal but neither of us knew what the problem was.

Changed my 'preferred' card to my bank account VISA and the donation was instantly accepted.

Following day changed my 'preferred' card back to the VISA credit card and was able to pay for an item I had ordered online.

The conclusion I have come to is that payment for online purchases via PayPal using a VISA credit card are okay but transfer of funds aren't.

Hope that is clear enough to understand and of some help to you my friend.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-22, 09:19 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Thank you, but unfortunately it does not help, since I do not use VISA. And other transactions via paypal worked, both ways.

I will do another small transfer now, just to check whether the desease has spread.
Old 12-13-22, 09:31 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Icon7

Charged Steam Wallet with 5 Euros - worked.

Tried Donation to Subsim again - and worked...!?!?!?

Yes, suddenly it worked, its still a THREE-factor verification, but this time the additional - accoustric - phone call actually arrived.

Neal, you now can buy yourself something to eat again, money's on the way.
Just don't ask questions. Dont' ask any questions on the How and Why. I have no clue.

No feedback from Paypal however. If they had done something, they really could have sent a brief mail to not let me in the dark that it is solved.

Old 12-13-22, 09:59 AM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Nice one

Now send me some money and we'll see if it is still working

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-22, 03:38 PM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Thank you Marc, sorry for all the hassle.

Gonna buy a shirt!
Old 12-13-22, 06:23 PM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
sorry for all the hassle.
Not your fault!
Old 12-17-22, 06:10 PM   #14
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Here from Argentina I had a lot of problems with PayPal.

I tried the year donation with two VISA credit cards and one Mastecard debit card. It doesn´t work. PayPal refused the payment /transfer.

I tried to buy the calendar, and the same. This time with two credit cards (VISA) and two debit cards (Mastercard and VISA). PayPal refused the transfers/payments.

No problem with Amazon, no problem with BookDepository. There I can buy books and other stuff very well from my country.

I don´t know what the f...k happens with PayPal.

Hope I can do a donation some day...Frustrating.

Best regards

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote