SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-14-21, 03:35 PM   #31
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Downloads: 313
Uploads: 0

Update #2

The aircraft loadouts are for the most part messed up or not working as they should ( Depth Charges in particular ) in the basic TWOS.
Fixed the aircraft depth charges, now they work as planned!

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-29-21 at 12:12 PM.
Viktor_Prien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 02:54 AM   #32
Demon777
Medic

Downloads: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor_Prien View Post
Let me know how is gone!

До свидания друг!
grazie
I've tested the mod (particles.dat files) in Museum and in campaign. No 'smoke puffs' bug at the moment.
Demon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 03:43 AM   #33
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
*Personal Note ( Aircraft Bones ):

B1 = Internal Bombs Bay Forward Left
B2 = Internal Bombs Bay Back Left
B3 = External Left Wing
B4 = External Right Wing
B5 = Internal Bombs Bay Forward Right
B6 = Internal Bombs Bay Back Right
It's simpler than that: any bone named B01,B02... will be recognized as weapons slot. You can place them wherever you wish on the model and use any aircraft-portable weapons with them. L01... are for reflectors, R01... radars, O01... visual spotters (usually only one per plane of each), P01... - pilots/crew. EDIT: also, GR2 Editor allows you to rename bones and (though you'll need an older version for that as this functionality is broken in newest version included in TWoS) even to clone them.

Quote:
Update:

The aircraft loadouts are for the most part messed up or not working as they should ( Depth Charges in particular ) in the basic TWOS.
Fixed the aircraft depth charges, now they work as planned!
Can you elaborate? I'm in the process of adding some new planes to the game so I'm quite interested in learning of any issues with weapons they carry.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 08:38 AM   #34
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
It's simpler than that: any bone named B01,B02... will be recognized as weapons slot. You can place them wherever you wish on the model and use any aircraft-portable weapons with them. L01... are for reflectors, R01... radars, O01... visual spotters (usually only one per plane of each), P01... - pilots/crew. EDIT: also, GR2 Editor allows you to rename bones and (though you'll need an older version for that as this functionality is broken in newest version included in TWoS) even to clone them.
Not exactly so, at least for the purposes I need. That the B slots are weapons is ok but for the implementation of the weapons that I intend to add I need to know exactly where the bone is located ( It will become important later on, you'll see ). In addition I want the bombs placed where they really were attached on the aircraft ( Bombay or External )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Can you elaborate? I'm in the process of adding some new planes to the game so I'm quite interested in learning of any issues with weapons they carry.
Well at least from what I've noticed so far ( I'll be more precise the more I'll go deep in the various files ) these are the main issues I've noted about aircraft so far:

- Unhistorical loadouts

- There are no external wing racks for the bombs/DC ( 3D models already built )

- Most of the aircraft ( if not all ) that were, IRL, equipped with depth charges in the current TWoS are not or they are equipped with a DC loadout that do not work ( No DCs dropped at all even if the node/bone is equipped with them).
I have still to double check this well but my initial impression is that the DC_Cluster acts as a sort of dummy DC. ( I haven't seen any DC dropped when the aircraft's relevant node is equippped with them, but further tests are needed to be 100% sure about this )

- Some aircraft should be removed ( e.g the Go 229 ) due to the fact that they never left the project table. IMHO useless to do all that we can to match the realism and then having spaceships flying around ( Very personal point of view be clear, I do not intend to criticise the TWoS author/s in any possible way.Their work has been amazing, it's simply that I like some stuffs implemented in a different way )

- I have yet to find ( only because I haven't still looked at it ) where the aircraft damage model files are located because the aircraft DM, IMHO, is beyond arcade. In the tests I've made so far you can let explode a PBY Catalina or a medium/large bomber with a couple of shots. My initial feeling after seeing this ( as an aviation passionate ) was a bit MIEOWWWWW...

- The good part is that most of the aerial weapons use a .DAT file so importing the new ones in the game should be, in theory, pretty easy and fast. ( I have already built all the necessary 3D models, I need simply to import them and then update all the aircraft loadouts accordingly )

- I have still to determine/know what is that controls the aircraft behaviour ( if not hardcoded ). Let's say that I would like to understand certain aircraft behaviours. In particular:

a) What controls how many bombs are dropped in a pass? ( So far I saw the bombs/DC dropped just one a time ). My guesses are 2: or is something hardcoded or some of the nodes are not correctly positioned ( For example, IIRC, in SH3 if the node was set too close to the aircraft the DC of interest didn't work )

b) Why sometimes the aircraft drops the bomb/DC others not? ( My guesses: wrong speed set for the waypoint, wrong aircraft alignement with the target or too low level of experience of the aircraft of interest set in the ME )

*My thoughs behind this: I'm a passionate WW2 aviation lover so I would like to have the aircraft in the game as much closer as possible to their real counterparts. Aircraft were extremely deadly for U-boats, I would like to have them more dangerous in respect to what we got actually. ( Too easy to deal with them currently, IMHO )

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-15-21 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-15-21, 09:02 AM   #35
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Small and very quickly edited video of the DC at work ( higher resolutions will become available when the YouTube Lords will gently end to process the video quality ).
Enlarge it for a better view at least until the higher res will be not available if you have a high res monitor/screen.

Old 01-15-21, 09:24 AM   #36
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon777 View Post
grazie
I've tested the mod (particles.dat files) in Museum and in campaign. No 'smoke puffs' bug at the moment.
Excellent!!! ( ..and thanks for the feedback, mate! )
Old 01-15-21, 01:35 PM   #37
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

As reference:

Aircraft Loadout Types from TWoS Original ( Weapons Only )

Bomb_100kg
Bomb_250kg
Bomb_500kg
Bomb100lb ( 45,35 kg )
Bomb2000lb ( Halifax, 2000 lb = 907,18 kg ) * The only aircraft using this bomb
Bomb_Cluster ( US Heavy Bomber Med War )

Torpedo_Mk15_aircraft _launched ( Avenger )
MK24_TORP ( Avenger )

3InchRocketGB
5InchRocketUS

DC_Cluster ( Mosquito Mk VI ) * Detonation Depth -15 Meters - Located in Cluster.DAT --> Node DC_Cluster - 4xDC
AirDepthCharge_45m ( PBY Catalina ) * Detonation Depth -45 Meters - Located in Bombs2.DAT - Single DC
AirDepthCharge ( H6K ) * Detonation Depth -10 Meters - Located in Bombs.DAT - Single DC
Airborne_DC ( BV 138 ) --> Not yet found ( But not a big deal because I've found only the BV 138 equipped with them )

DummyBomb

Notes

* = The aircraft indicated between brackets indicate the aircraft used for the tests or only as reference, not all the aircraft equipped with the weapon of interest

** = Still to be tested but IIRC from SH3 the empty weapon nodes ( B ) must be not left empty but filled with the dummy bomb otherwise the aircraft will not perform fully as planned
( The typical example is the aircraft equipped with weapons not performing any attack run or not dropping any bomb/s )

*** = If the kg are indicated between brackets it means that is a value not used by the game but there only as an easy personal quick reference ( I'm more accustomed to deal with the metric system being from Europe )

**** Aircraft equipped only with basic loadout

AF_Fulmar
AF_HurricaneMkI
AFB_FW_190A5
AFB_Jak_1
AFB_La_5
AFB_MiG_3
AFS_Beriev_KOR_1
AFS_Beriev_MBR_2
ALB_B17Fortress
ALB_Wellington
ALBS_USEarlyWar
ALBS_USLateWar
ALBS_USMedWar
Arado_Ar196
AS_USHeavyBomberVLR
AS_Walrus
As_Z501
ATB_Avenger

I've put here all the aircraft I've found equipped with the basic loadout only, as reference. ( Every aircraft will be, if needed and especially when I will correct or I'll add new loadouts, treated independently )

***** Bombs and DC .DAT file Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 5\data\Library

Reference Images ( Click the image of interest to enlarge it )

Bombs

Bombs 2

Clusters

Mk 24

New Air-drop Weapons ( Early Development, Only place-holders for the time being )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Other Torpedos, Dummy Bomb, Dummy Torp coordinates only, no 3D object

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-15-21 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-15-21, 03:43 PM   #38
Muckenberg
Planesman

Downloads: 527

Good day
I've tried your ship smoke mod and I haven't made a mistake yet. Good work.
Wow, those water geysers from DC are perfect. Are they from SH3,4? won't you release the mod of these explosions for tests?
Muckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 03:56 PM   #39
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckenberg View Post
Good day
I've tried your ship smoke mod and I haven't made a mistake yet. Good work.
Wow, those water geysers from DC are perfect. Are they from SH3,4? won't you release the mod of these explosions for tests?
1- Danke, I'm glad it helped! ( Mod is not mine, the files are from TDW. I have simply found them [ Currently missing from the TWoS mod ] and added them to it noticing that they, at least on my PC, fully fixed the resetting smoke issue )

2- They are from SH5 ( TWoS Mod Last version + Last Update ). They are already in the game no need to add them mate
You can have them by simply installing the TWoS Mod! ( Highly suggested, it's an absolutely amazing and impressive mod! )
Old 01-15-21, 07:27 PM   #40
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Two questions about the mission editor:

1- I create the mission, I save it, all ok...when I build the mission I select a Type VIIC then, instead when playing it in the historical missions menu/list I can only select the VIIA or VIIB. What I'm doing wrong?

2-How to you set the title of the mission? ( I mean the one displayed in the historical missions menu where there are listed all the missions available )
My mission displays only the date, while the other ones ( the ones already present ) display both the title and the date.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-16-21, 01:20 AM   #41
Muckenberg
Planesman

Quote:
1- Danke, I'm glad it helped! ( Mod is not mine, the files are from TDW. I have simply found them [ Currently missing from the TWoS mod ] and added them to it noticing that they, at least on my PC, fully fixed the resetting smoke issue )

2- They are from SH5 ( TWoS Mod Last version + Last Update ). They are already in the game no need to add them mate
You can have them by simply installing the TWoS Mod! ( Highly suggested, it's an absolutely amazing and impressive mod! )
Good day
Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, I don't understand much English.
I have TWoS installed since update 1.4. so if I understood you well, then the improved water geysers are already in the latest update TWoS 2.2.22.?
I play TWoS quite regularly and unfortunately I don't have the geysers in the game. Only the SH5 classic.
It is possible that I have a bad installation I do not know.
Old 01-16-21, 06:24 AM   #42
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Two questions about the mission editor:

1- I create the mission, I save it, all ok...when I build the mission I select a Type VIIC then, instead when playing it in the historical missions menu/list I can only select the VIIA or VIIB. What I'm doing wrong?

2-How to you set the title of the mission? ( I mean the one displayed in the historical missions menu where there are listed all the missions available )
My mission displays only the date, while the other ones ( the ones already present ) display both the title and the date.

Thanks in advance!
Not sure about 1 (from memory, it worked for me... might have something to do with the menu where you choose boat in historical missions?), but 2:

Mission -> Language Localization -> Click "Mission Title" and then write title in empty field below.

Some thoughts regarding issues you've noticed with aircraft:

- SH5 aircraft AI is not the sharpest tool in a box, some ahistorical configurations might be a compromise in order to get AI to do its job - vdr1981 would know more about that.

- you can find basics about how damage model works in TDW's post I linked in this thread. Basically: invisible (and very simplified) DMG_col model is responsible for hit detection, and damage boxes (not spheres) in .zon file - for actual damage (like engines, fires, wings falling off). If aircraft is hit where no damage boxes are present, it simply loses hitpoint until it runs out, at which point it will explode. You are right about model being currently extremely basic and not even fully using potential offered by the engine. It could be much improved, though doing it for all planes is a ton of work.

- Loadouts: aircraft spawn by airfields in campaign will use basic loadout every time from what I understand of vdr1981's earlier posts. This means any loadout except basic is only useful for single missions or for manually placed air groups (which are very few currently, most air traffic is generated by airfields).

EDIT: also, if you are interested in improving aircraft in SH5, check out this thread by gap where many issues with planes are discussed:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=247344
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 07:23 AM   #43
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Quote:
Good day
improved water geysers are already in the latest update TWoS 2.2.22.?
Je to správné ( Correct )

Quote:
I play TWoS quite regularly and unfortunately I don't have the geysers in the game. Only the SH5 classic.
It is possible that I have a bad installation I do not know.
Možná soubory znovu zkontrolujte nebo proveďte novou instalaci ( Maybe, check the files again or make a fresh installation )

*Použil jsem překladač, takže doufám, že jsem nenapsal nějaké kecy
Old 01-16-21, 07:56 AM   #44
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

@kapuhy

1- Many thanks for the replies about my questions! I will try to find a solution about the point #1 but later on ( It's not super important now, I can somehow run and test the mission ).

2- About the DM it should be feasible to improve it. Lot of work sure but surely feasible ( The more I get accustomed again to work with the game files, the more I remember how it works to modify the various stuffs ). Fortunately the GR2 program is quite intuitive and easy to be used ( at least for things I've checked so far ). Sometimes it crash but basically it works on the false line of SD3 so I do not expect eccessively big troubles in using it.

3- About the loadouts: if so, fixing/modify them will be fortunately pretty easy to be done. Said very briefly, if so, I will simply edit the basic loadouts accordingly to my/our preferences.

4- About the link to aircraft discussion: Thanks for the link it was already bookmarked in my favourites

5- Other stuffs: Yesterday I've checked carefully all the various aircraft weapons ( apart from the Airborne_DC of the BV 138 that I have not yet found where is located ) and I've probably understood why some of them are not dropped every time that the aircraft make a pass ( Basically said I need to modify the max/min angles at which the bombs can " fly " during their path + some others parameters here and there ). Basically all the aircraft weapons works but there are some that seems to work better than others. For example, The DC_Cluster works but the aircraft behaviour it's much more better if you set the single DC for each aircraft B mode.
Said so, now that I've generally understood how the aircraft/weapons behave, in the next days I'll work mainly on them until I will reach a point that satisfies me. It's a lot of work, so it will take time but it's fully feasible. There is no hurry, one step a time we will improve the TWoS features hopefully to render it even more cool ( ...and the basic TWoS mod is already a blast !!! ).

Again, permit me to say thanks to you for your help. It's absolutely crucial, IMHO, having experienced persons like you helping me in the various steps of this journey. Your advice and help are always more than welcome here, many thanks my dear mate!!! (...and I can't wait for when vdr1981 will be able to fully join the discussion here after his busy period! )

Exciting times ahead!!!

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-16-21 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-16-21, 02:30 PM   #45
Muckenberg
Planesman

Thank you for answer.
I still can't believe him. That was one of the things that bothered me on the graphics page in SH5. Those bad geysers of water after a depth charge exploded.
I am very happy that there has been a reworking. I will have to read the update in which it was added.
Just to be sure. Could you post here a video of DD throwing depth charges and subsequent water geysers?
I want to be sure before I start drilling into the game installation. I haven't had any major problems with TWoS yet, so I'm very surprised by this.
Thank you for your understanding and I would also like to thank you for your work and activity in the TWoS community.

Last edited by Muckenberg; 01-16-21 at 05:04 PM.