SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-21, 09:35 AM   #1
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Downloads: 313
Uploads: 0
Default Questions about U-boat .cfg parameter

In the U-boat .cfg file there is a string named " DiveDepth=300 " ( Just a sample ).

What this string affects? Is this the maximum depth at which the sub can dive before getting damaged?

Are there other variables affecting this parameter?

Thanks in advance!

PLANNED SCHEDULE ( Green = Done, Orange = In Progress, Purple = Not Yet Started, Red = Cancelled/Removed )

- Creating stand-alone mods activable via JSGME -- IN PROGRESS
- Creating a single folder containg all the modifications made activable via JSGME -- CANCELLED
- Creating all the needed " Change Log " files -- NOT YET STARTED
- Created and added in the TWoS_Parts folder a small separate mod named " MyKey " for my custom keybindings -- DONE
- Started initial planned modifications ( Files only ) -- IN PROGRESS
- Learning how to import 3D models with GR2, Goblin Editor,etc from S3D -- NOT YET STARTED
- Improving the Remove/Activate Sub Flags behaviour -- IN PROGRESS
- Improving the on-screen Warning Icons for orders -- IN PROGRESS
- Improving the crew voices routine -- IN PROGRESS
- Improving the aircraft DM, sounds, routines and fixing errors/glitches/bugs -- IN PROGRESS
- Random/Minor Fixes -- IN PROGRESS

Edit: Updated the " Planned Schedule " list -- Viktor Prien, 29 Jan 2021 at 19:28 CET ( GMT +1 )

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-29-21 at 01:28 PM.
Viktor_Prien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 10:09 AM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor_Prien View Post
In the U-boat .cfg file there is a string named " DiveDepth=300 " ( Just a sample ).

What this string affects? Is this the maximum depth at which the sub can dive before getting damaged?

Are there other variables affecting this parameter?

Thanks in advance!
That is the value for depth in meters for "dive" GUI command...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 10:14 AM   #3
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Danke Herr Kaleun!
Old 01-12-21, 10:23 AM   #4
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Sorry to bother you with another question mate...Where is located the file that controls what a certain officer will say? I mean...What is the file that tells to the game " Use this audio file, use that, etc...

*Ps: While working on the various files ( I use The Wolves of Steel Mod ) I've noted that there are some submarine parameters not set correctly ( better said the value is correct but what you get in the game is different ) plus some other stuffs missing from the current version of it. If you are interested about this reply here so we can keep the discussion in one place )

Salute!
Old 01-12-21, 10:48 AM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Sorry to bother you with another question mate...Where is located the file that controls what a certain officer will say? I mean...What is the file that tells to the game " Use this audio file, use that, etc...

You mean audio files ect? Most of them are controlled trough the files in "Scripts" folder which isn't my strongest side...

Quote:
*Ps: While working on the various files ( I use The Wolves of Steel Mod ) I've noted that there are some submarine parameters not set correctly ( better said the value is correct but what you get in the game is different ) plus some other stuffs missing from the current version of it. If you are interested about this reply here so we can keep the discussion in one place )

Salute!
What exactly? Even if some of the values in files may appear strange, many of them have a good reason why are they set like that...Most of the time, realistic values in files will give us unrealistic behavior in the game and vice versa.
Old 01-12-21, 11:03 AM   #6
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

The ones that I've found so far:

- In the .cfg of the U-boat of interest the periscope depth is set ( Correctly ) to 12 meters. In the game, somehow, you get about 11 meters.
I've changed it to 13 and now the boat dives to 12 meters correctly ( It like for the AI sub...You set a value but the game then acts differently in respect to the set parameter )

- Some of the U-boat speeds are slightly wrong ( Nothing big ), the crash depth is set to un-hystorical values ( 150 mt; It should be between 60 and 90 meeters instead )

- At least on my pc ( High End ) the smokes of the ships in the TWOS mod were resetting. To fix it I've edited the particles.dat and the particles_funnelsmoke accordingly and now the issue has been fully fixed ( ...and not a single issue with TWOS when enabled via JSGME ). If you need the files let me know it and I'll send you them.

- I'm also working on the Type VIIF ( It should be pretty easy to be done ) and i'm looking also to make the VIID ( Minelayer ). I work at these boats only in the spare time but they could be, possibly and when finished, a good new addition for TWOS mod ( Especially the VIIF for the Monsoon Campaign )

- Removing the text file when, after you enabled the characther free view, are displayed on the crew when you pass the mouse over them

I'm also working on some other stuffs. If you think you can be interested let's keep all the discussion here so it will be easy to keep all the material in one place.

My best regards and a big thanks for the TWSO mod. It's simply brilliant!!!!
Old 01-12-21, 11:25 AM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
The ones that I've found so far:

- In the .cfg of the U-boat of interest the periscope depth is set ( Correctly ) to 12 meters. In the game, somehow, you get about 11 meters.
I've changed it to 13 and now the boat dives to 12 meters correctly ( It like for the AI sub...You set a value but the game then acts differently in respect to the set parameter )
Yeah, you'll find a number of such "errors" but in normal gameplay those things are quite irrelevant IMO, since you can manually chose your depth ect. Periscope depth is more suited for obs scope since it can not be extended as far as the attack scope. For example, for the attack scope I always use snorkel depth command which is ~ 13m.

Quote:
- Some of the U-boat speeds are slightly wrong ( Nothing big ), the crash depth is set to un-hystorical values ( 150 mt; It should be between 60 and 90 meeters instead )
max speed varies from source to source.

max speeds per engine settings are somewhat tweaked by me in order to sustain the most realistic turning and diving rates per given engine settings according to type VIIC manual...Again, not very much important since you can manually select speed in knots and also depth...

Quote:
- At least on my pc ( High End ) the smokes of the ships in the TWOS mod were resetting. To fix it I've edited the particles.dat and the particles_funnelsmoke accordingly and now the issue has been fully fixed ( ...and not a single issue with TWOS when enabled via JSGME ). If you need the files let me know it and I'll send you them.
yes, I'm aware of similar fixes but didn't implement them in TWoS since I noticed that the stock "smoke puffs" bug is even more prominent with them.

Quote:
- I'm also working on the Type VIIF ( It should be pretty easy to be done ) and i'm looking also to make the VIID ( Minelayer ). I work at these boats only in the spare time but they could be, possibly and when finished, a good new addition for TWOS mod ( Especially the VIIF for the Monsoon Campaign )

- Removing the text file when, after you enabled the characther free view, are displayed on the crew when you pass the mouse over them

I'm also working on some other stuffs. If you think you can be interested let's keep all the discussion here so it will be easy to keep all the material in one place.

My best regards and a big thanks for the TWSO mod. It's simply brilliant!!!!
[/QUOTE]
It's really great to hear that! I'll help everything I can. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do any modding for the next 3-4 weeks, but after that I should be much more active...
Old 01-12-21, 11:38 AM   #8
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Thanks for your reply and don't worry there is no hurry ( So in the meanwhile I'll get accustomed again to work on game files ).

*Some of the additions I've made are done just to satisfy my picky " historical " alter ego.

Just a question...Is there are around an editor similar to the SD3 one but for SH5? ( Sorry for the question but I'm back in port just recently. I've read that there is something around called GR2 but I have still to look at it )

Salute and nice to meet you, mein Herr! I'm Roby and I'm from Italy...ups...no...Wilhelmshaven...
Old 01-12-21, 01:03 PM   #9
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

This is pretty much the list ( In different stages of development ) about what I'm working about ( Or that I've already worked on previously ) so you can have a general idea of my projects/stuffs/crazy ideas:

- Air-dropped depth charge Mk13 and the relative 3D model+its needed game files
- Air-dropped naval mine Mk1 and the relative 3D model+its needed game files
- VAR (Vertical Antisubmarine Rockets) rack and the 3D modell+its needed game files ( ..or rather a PBY Catalina dropping on your sub a handful of hedgehog-like bombs )
- Type VIIF and VIID...plus a maybe maybe an Italian submarine ( Very early development stage, all yet to be checked )
- ...and lots of other stuffs about how to introduce new U-boat system malfunctions, incorrect reports, etc
- ...and lots of other stuffs that we will discuss during " our patrol " ( So you been more expert than me about SH5 you can tell me what's possibly feasible and what's not )
- One nasty addition to ruin player's quiet dreams... ( TOP SECRET... I will discuss about this with you only via PM or private voice-over meetings; Feel free to request info via PM anytime )

...not to say that all this taking in mind ( and depending ) on my will and variable mood, my time availability, my declared WW2 simulators authism, my wife menses, etc...

The only limit? Us! ( Plus certain game faulty files and game's restrictions )

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-12-21 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-12-21, 02:20 PM   #10
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Search the forum for TDW's GR2 editor/viewer. The app is not perfect but it's the only thing we currently have. Your countryman Gap , Kapuhy and few more Subsim members used this app a lot and I'm sure they will jump in if you ask some questions...

Quote:
This is pretty much the list ( In different stages of development ) about what I'm working about ( Or that I've already worked on previously ) so you can have a general idea of my projects/stuffs/crazy ideas:

- Air-dropped depth charge Mk13 and the relative 3D model+its needed game files
- Air-dropped naval mine Mk1 and the relative 3D model+its needed game files
- VAR (Vertical Antisubmarine Rockets) rack and the 3D modell+its needed game files ( ..or rather a PBY Catalina dropping on your sub a handful of hedgehog-like bombs )
- Type VIIF and VIID...plus a maybe maybe an Italian submarine ( Very early development stage, all yet to be checked )
- ...and lots of other stuffs about how to introduce new U-boat system malfunctions, incorrect reports, etc
- ...and lots of other stuffs that we will discuss during " our patrol " ( So you been more expert than me about SH5 you can tell me what's possibly feasible and what's not )
- One nasty addition to ruin player's quiet dreams... ( TOP SECRET... I will discuss about this with you only via PM or private voice-over meetings; Feel free to request info via PM anytime )

...not to say that all this taking in mind ( and depending ) on my will and variable mood, my time availability, my declared WW2 simulators authism, my wife menses, etc...

The only limit? Us! ( Plus certain game faulty files and game's restrictions )

That's an impressive list! I'm proud that TWoS still inspires new modding forces even after all these years!
Old 01-13-21, 05:46 AM   #11
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Search the forum for TDW's GR2 editor/viewer. The app is not perfect but it's the only thing we currently have. Your countryman Gap , Kapuhy and few more Subsim members used this app a lot and I'm sure they will jump in if you ask some questions...
Many thanks I will surely look into it very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
That's an impressive list! I'm proud that TWoS still inspires new modding forces even after all these years!
That's only thanks to talented modders like you, that's for sure!
Old 01-13-21, 06:33 AM   #12
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

Sorry if I continue to make questions that may sound obvious to someone experienced like you but these ones will help a lot in shorten the working times.
Here follows some:

1-Currently in the TWOS mod ( The Wolves of Steel 2.2_SH5 Expansion Pack_v2.2.22_Full + Update ) there are the following available subs ( Please confirm or correct me ):

Type IIA = Playable and AI
Type VIIA = Playable and AI
Type VIIB = Playable and AI
Type VIIB UFlak = Playable via JSGME -- AI?
Type VIIC = Playable and AI
Type VIIC/41 = Playable and AI

Type IX = Playable via JSGME ( But I presume that this changes only the standard sub characteristics via the .cfg and the .SIM files but there's not a real Type IX 3D model, correct? )

2- What's the difference between the AI folders ( eg NSS_Uboat7a_AI ), the AI folders that are instead numbered ( e.g NSS_Uboat7a_U30 ) and the ones at the bottom (e.g VIIA,VIIB,VIIC,VIIC41 )? They are all AI that's clear but what the different files affect/modify/are used for?
* I guess that at least one of these categories is used for the wolfpack thing

3- The playable Type IIA is used also in the campaign or only in the single missions? ( As far as I know the campaign starts with a VIIA or eventually with the UFlak if activated via JSGME )

4- What program are you using to open the .SIM files? ( Sorry to ask I haven't not yet searched for it. I hope with GR2 correct? )

================================================== ======

I have a MEGA spare account ( 15 GB ) that I use exclusively to exchange files easily with modders. I will send you via PM the info and password to access it so if needed we got it for exchanging the material of interest.
In the PM I will add also my phone number so we can eventually also use WhatsUp for quick communications or if needed to avoid to write here poems
Let me know if this is ok for you.
I'll wait for your confirmation first before proceeding.

Last edited by Viktor_Prien; 01-13-21 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-13-21, 08:01 AM   #13
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
1-Currently in the TWOS mod ( The Wolves of Steel 2.2_SH5 Expansion Pack_v2.2.22_Full + Update ) there are the following available subs ( Please confirm or correct me ):

Type IIA = Playable and AI
Type VIIA = Playable and AI
Type VIIB = Playable and AI
Type VIIB UFlak = Playable via JSGME -- AI?
Type VIIC = Playable and AI
Type VIIC/41 = Playable and AI

Type IX = Playable via JSGME ( But I presume that this changes only the standard sub characteristics via the .cfg and the .SIM files but there's not a real Type IX 3D model, correct? )

2- What's the difference between the AI folders ( eg NSS_Uboat7a_AI ), the AI folders that are instead numbered ( e.g NSS_Uboat7a_U30 ) and the ones at the bottom (e.g VIIA,VIIB,VIIC,VIIC41 )? They are all AI that's clear but what the different files affect/modify/are used for?
* I guess that at least one of these categories is used for the wolfpack thing

3- The playable Type IIA is used also in the campaign or only in the single missions? ( As far as I know the campaign starts with a VIIA or eventually with the UFlak if activated via JSGME )

4- What program are you using to open the .SIM files? ( Sorry to ask I haven't not yet searched for it. I hope with GR2 correct? )

================================================== ======

I have a MEGA spare account ( 15 GB ) that I use exclusively to exchange files easily with modders. I will send you via PM the info and password to access it so if needed we got it for exchanging the material of interest.
In the PM I will add also my phone number so we can eventually also use WhatsUp for quick communications or if needed to avoid to write here poems
Let me know if this is ok for you.
I'll wait for your confirmation first before proceeding.
1. Type II is AI only. There's no interior modeled for any sub except type VII so only its variants are playable in game. Mkiii is currently working on playable IX though.

4. GoblinEditorApp (it's in you main SH5 folder). What you do is to launch Goblin Editor, open .gr2 file of the unit you want to modify, and then select "merge" option and select .sim, .zon, .dsd or .fx files for opened unit (you can select all of them at once).

If you make any changes to .sim file content (or .zon or any of the other ones), it will light up red in editor. Select highlighted file with right click, select "save" and your changes are saved (don't use "save" option in file menu).
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-21, 09:32 AM   #14
Viktor_Prien
Navy Dude

@kapuhy

Danke Herr Kaleun very useful information!
Do you have any idea why if the IIA is not playble, in the .cfg file instead is listed as playable? ( HumanPlayable=YES )
Is it used for some kind of sub-hacks maybe?

I'm making all these questions about the sub file structure because to import correctly the various files/3D stuffs I need to know, before, exactly what the current file structure is. Again thank you very much for your help and tips, very much appreciated here!
Old 01-13-21, 09:39 AM   #15
Demon777
Medic

Downloads: 97

Hi captains,

Sorry for interrupting such an interesting conversation, but I'd like to ask about the parameter for in-game smoke effects... is there any way to minimize the bug of "smoke puffs" by changing some cfg parameter manually??

Or its impossible due to such bug being seen even in stock game?
Demon777 is offline   Reply With Quote