SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-21, 05:41 AM   #46
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default Lord of War

really liking the The Fer-de-Lance

p.s hope you both well

Steel Shark

Last edited by steel shark; 03-14-21 at 11:58 AM.
steel shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 09:21 AM   #47
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I like it too. This is mine, as outfitted for the current CG CZ. Usually it mounts other bits and bobs set up for assassinations and pirate lord missions. FSDI, GFSDB and scoop for example. But I swapped that for HRPs for the CG

CZ FDL

Great speed and protection.

It is light for a FDL, which takes full advantage of the speed and agility. It's heavier as shown here than it usually is due to the added heavy-duty engineered HRPs. No armor upgrade aside from Heavy-Duty on the stock alloys. Shields like these will never collapse in PvE unless you are taking wing assassinations or something, so the integrity is more for peace of mind, and CZs where some NPCs can bypass shields. In typical RES, CNB and CZ combat it is pretty good. Thermal resists are key in my view, but I've gone with Reinforced and Hi-Cap just to maximize mj, and thermals resists are made up through the boosters. Usually anything over 40% is fine, but 50% would be better.

The huge multicannon has corrosive, and the outboard mediums use autoloader, with efficient beams. Thermal Vent keeps heat in check and allows continuous firing. DPS may be low for a FDL, but I'd bet DPM is not. One cool thing about the huge mutlicannon is that it has no spin-up time. The autoloaders do. What this means is that by having all multicannons on the same firegroup a quick pull of that trigger spits out single huge corrosive rounds, and holding it down longer spins up the autoloaders, in effect making it act like a dual-stage trigger. I really like this. It allows me to apply corrosive without being profligate with the mediums. So I can keep the beams on a dying target, popping off a few corrosive rounds to increase damage.
Old 02-17-21, 09:37 AM   #48
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Alright. Good news is, there is no import tax on these controllers. The not so good news is, at 25% VAT, the whole thing will be 2,447 euros. Still doable. What I'm not so sure about is, apparently their customer service is suffering from phobias to emails and phone calls, according to some. 1 year warranty is a bit on the low end. 2 years as offered by VKB seems more common.

I have kind of looked away from VKB as it appears they don't currently have the throttle and button boxes. They are not cheaper either! and there is no word on when their S-extension will be back in stock. Still, I haven't looked away from them entirely.

As for ED, still honking my way over to my 2nd engineers, then another trek over to the 3rd and then we'll see what happens. Currently saving up for a maxed out AspX but unsure if I really want the grind to max out on the FSD, or if the stock FSD will have to do.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 09:54 AM   #49
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

It's a big commitment, and that's serious money for a hobby. Obviously I'm in step with you here, and I think the investment is worth it if you are more than casual about this hobby of ours. I don't know if would help, but here is a thread from the Frontier boards from last summer with comments about the Virpil gear in Elite

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/virpil.543024/

Are you registered on the Frontier boards Von Due?

I also understand if there is anything that fosters any doubt, like the customer service you mentioned. For that sort of money you want to make sure you are making the right decisions. I don't know what gear you have now, but as all of these peripherals are unique USB devices (unlike say my Cougar where the stick and throttle are seen as one) maybe you could do it in shifts, adding one piece at a time and mixing and matching. One of the guys in our group has a mixed Warthog and Virpil setup for example. Good luck and keep us informed of how it goes.
Old 02-17-21, 10:14 AM   #50
Von Due
Sea Lord

Serious money indeed but I wonder what my wallet would have said if the weather and real life allowed more of my main hobby/interest, rc helicopters. A single battery pack costs the same as a low end HOTAS, like real low end. Even my trainer cost me more than the X45 I bought an eon ago.

Now I have the X52 Pro + pedals. It's a fine stick but it's getting old with a microswitch starting to fail. I REALLY could use button boxes too. What made me decide on these high end sticks was partly because they could be extended. For heli use that really comes in handy. The 52 is a tad short for really fine adjustments, or it's just me being heavy handed

Last, no I haven't registered on their site, to my knowledge. I have tried to limit the forum activity or else I'd need a book full of UN/PW for each. My memory is shot to pieces and having to keep track of all those passwords becomes a nightmare.
Old 02-17-21, 03:31 PM   #51
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

OK fair enough, but the Frontier boards are pretty salty and good fun.

I spent the past week in Elite doing a number of things. Participated in the CG, and qualified for the permit. The rewards were lame, but it gave me something to do and a reason to take the FDL out for something other than assassinations. Conflict Zones are a bit of a step up over CNBs and RES sites. Great pace to the combat, better ships to fight against. It was good fun.

Spent a couple evenings with the commanders in our PG out at some Guardian sites picking up the stuff needed for Guardian modules. I've unlocked the FSD booster and the shield reinforcement before, and wanted to get what I needed for the Guardian fighters. I've yet to hire a minion in my Elite career, it's something I am saving for when I hit combat Elite. Minions steal some of your XP and cash, so I haven't cared to have one on the payroll.

And as always I've done my fair share of bounty hunting and assassinations in order to both raise that rank as well as gather mats, which is a never-ending process. I enjoy the combat, and carry a collector controller plus some limpets in a Krait II designed for this role, I call it a combat sweeper.

Poison Whiskey

For me, this is Elite's best ship. Such a nice blend of speed, agility, shields, firepower, optional slot space, cockpit visibility and swag. I have four Kraits, all outfitted and engineered for specific roles. One is this combat sweeper, one is a rumble bus and armed merchant cruiser, one is a core miner and one is a Phantom deep space scientific exploration vessel. I limit my fleet to ten ships and four of them are Kraits
Old 02-18-21, 03:45 PM   #52
Von Due
Sea Lord

Just noticed: It does seem like I registered on the Frontier forum when I registered the game. Alrighty then.
Old 02-19-21, 08:34 AM   #53
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

OK cool. It's a good forum full of salt like I said.

Here's what I did last night. I had mentioned to one of the commanders in our private group that I was struggling to find polonium, and Commander Wingnuts pointed me towards a guide for biological POIs.

So I flew out to the polonium market Wingnuts suggested. 1,600 light years from Barnwell. That's 27 jumps in Mad Hops, my Diamondback Explorer, and I scooped and scanned along the way, the cool-running DBX doing both at the same time. Did a lot of FSS'ing. Not much good stuff, but I did find one AW and stuck it with probes. Arriving in the system I FSS'd the whole thing, 49 planets, and the polonium market was the second to last one I did. Ha, but at least the rest is done. It's a low-wake of 153,000ls, and once there I picked one of the biological sites and set her down in the wide open flat ground right next to the site. What a change from the gorges I was visiting before.

Deployed the rover, and ambled over to the bio site. Found the crystals and started shooting them off. In a little more than an hour I had filled my Polonium. That's 49 (x3) of them! Imagine getting 150 PIs in an hour. That's what this is like. I didn't need to relog (and I don't think that works on these sites anyway) and I didn't even come close to clearing it all. Got some nickle too while I was at it, and that's an often-used synthesis mat, so good on me. Not only was it insanely productive, it was fun. There is a lower, flat area and more on a hillside. The terrain is challenging, but not ridiculous. In order to shoot the crystals, you need the right angle, so SRV positioning is key, and you get totally involved with that. it's also very low gravity, and I made a game of catching the polonium before it hit the ground. I caught 27 in a row at one point before one fell just off my port window. Track IR is great for polonium snatching.

I'm going to hit more of these while I am out here. When I am done I won't need to do more prospecting like, forever. I still will, because I like mixing the rover in to the activity rotation, but I won't need to. As far as mat gathering goes, there is nothing I've done that is as productive for the amount of time spent. Think how far just half of what I got would go at a mat trader. Awesome.

Here's Mad Hops Junior on the hillside. You can see the wide open landing plain, with the DBX in the background.